Stupid EMS Rules, Regulations, or Practices ................

Also sometime while one person is typing a response another person or two submits comments first. W/o the qoutes no one knows what the heck then the person w/o qoutes is addressing.

In addition to the above critical points made by others (see, I captured the OP and valid responses) I do it because in the past, people have denied saying certain things. When I went back to show them they did indeed say something, I have found either the entire post gone OR they have edited it and changed whatever we were discussing. We have since implemented some safeguards against that practice, however it is still nice to copy for any of the above reasons.

The only time I detest someone doing it, is when they have nothing of value to add. They either thrown in 1-3 words or a simple smiley face at the end of this long discussion.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition to the above critical points made by others (see, I captured the OP and valid responses) I do it because in the past, people have denied saying certain things. When I went back to show them they did indeed say something, I have found either the entire post gone OR they have edited it and changed whatever we were discussing. We have since implemented some safeguards against that practice, however it is still nice to copy for any of the above reasons.

The only time I detest someone doing it, is when they have nothing of value to add. They either thrown in 1-3 words or a simple smiley face at the end of this long discussion.

:D

8)

How about the amount of money we waste on 911 Centers. Why do we need one for every county and city ? If microsoft and dell can handle all of their customer calls from one center in India, why cant we cut down the 911 centers to maybe 2 or 3 mega centers per state ?

it's just the bass-ackwards way things are done on the left pond , here in rightpondia, there's one police comms centre per force area, one or two ambulance comms centre per service ( bearing in mind that services cover 3 ,4 or 5 UK counties) and the hosemonkeysare going to regional comms centres becasue they do that little compared to EMS and police

Crotchitymedic1986 wrote

How about the amount of money we waste on 911 Centers. Why do we need one for every county and city ? If microsoft and dell can handle all of their customer calls from one center in India, why cant we cut down the 911 centers to maybe 2 or 3 mega centers per state ?

Would you want someone with possibly no map knowledge of your area handling calls? New York City is made from 5 boroughs (counties), and I believe each one has a Main Street, a Broad Street, and/or a Broadway. Without that knowledge that there possibly are 5 streets of the same name just within NYC, an ambulance might be dispatched, but not to the correct address. They may arrive at the correct address, but not the right borough, and a critical trauma or illness patient could die while they sort it out.

The 9-1-1 centers already make that mistake, but at least the field crews have more or less direct communications with the call takers and dispatchers.

I just remembered that there are 2 Hillside Avenues, just in Queens County, one in Jamaica, and the other in the gated community of Rockaway Point. I have heard calls where a group of African American males are reportedly beating on a White male on Hillside Avenue, but no "Group of African American" males would be in one of those areas; if anything, the situation would be reversed. "Dispatch, that's not at the Point, it's 'Mainland'".

Would you take the confusion for just Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island, and then add Yonkers, Rockland, Nassau, and Suffolk Counties to the mix, at a "Mega 9-1-1" Call Receiving Center?

I live in an area where we have numbered "Beach" Streets, running from Beach 2nd to Beach 222 Street. I have been known to drop the first digit of my street, which is a 3 digit street. How will this off shore operator know to ask confirmation as to wether the caller is referring to Beach 10th, Beach 110th, or Beach 210th Street?

In addition, we have similarly named or numbered avenues, lanes, drives, promenades, highways, walks, and parkways.

There are probably other problems I am not thinking of at this time

Therefore, I posit that Mega 9-1-1 Centers might seem to be money savers in the initial run, but with problems that would result in bigger financial waste than just running with multiple centers arranged by county or city.

As I do agree to a point, it's done for redundancy. You think it's bad to have a county communications in each county? Try having a county communications along with each municipality who doesn't want to go to county. Some towns are, some aren't, now thats overkill.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.