Stupid EMS Rules, Regulations, or Practices ................

Lets take a lighthearted look at ourselves --- What things do we do in our industry that are absolutely stupid ? For instance ---- it is absolutely taboo to roll someone backwards on a stretcher to or from the truck (head first instead of feet first), but then they ride backwards all the way to the hospital.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *Anything involving the words "every patient," and "oxygen"

*Any place where it's standard practice to use lights and sirens on the freeways when traffic is moving. The last thing we should be doing is forcing cars to merge at 65 MPH. I want a laminar flow on the freeways.

*Combination of the words "restraints, "psych," and "all"

How about the amount of money we waste on 911 Centers. Why do we need one for every county and city ? If microsoft and dell can handle all of their customer calls from one center in India, why cant we cut down the 911 centers to maybe 2 or 3 mega centers per state ?

OK, and here is one for EMT CITY POSTERS -- sorry if i step on someone's toes here. If you are the first to respond to someones question or post, there is no need to copy and paste that question or post into your response. It's right there above your post, we can see it. And if we dont need to copy and paste it twice, we surely dont need to copy and paste 6 or 7 times. If you must cut and paste, can you please just copy and paste the name of the poster, or maybe the first line of their question, instead of the entire 200+ word rant ?

OK, and here is one for EMT CITY POSTERS -- sorry if i step on someone's toes here. If you are the first to respond to someones question or post, there is no need to copy and paste that question or post into your response. It's right there above your post, we can see it. And if we dont need to copy and paste it twice, we surely dont need to copy and paste 6 or 7 times. If you must cut and paste, can you please just copy and paste the name of the poster, or maybe the first line of their question, instead of the entire 200+ word rant ?

Sorry crotchity but it is established internet etiquette to quote someone's post if you are responding to them. This allows someone who is skimming through a thread to easily see what the poster is talking about. If I didn't quote you here and someone was quickly skimming and decided to stop at my post they would be lost were it not for the quote. Hence why it is customary.

Sorry crotchity but it is established internet etiquette to quote someone's post if you are responding to them. This allows someone who is skimming through a thread to easily see what the poster is talking about. If I didn't quote you here and someone was quickly skimming and decided to stop at my post they would be lost were it not for the quote. Hence why it is customary.

Also sometime while one person is typing a response another person or two submits comments first. W/o the qoutes no one knows what the heck then the person w/o qoutes is addressing.

I always thought that whole you can "asisst" in the administration of epinephrine w/o medical direction by placing it in the patients hand then putting your hand on theirs was pretty stupid.

If the patient isnt capable of administering it themselves then somethings wrong... and they obviously need OUR (and/or the doctors) help.

If we are actually taught to do it this way then why bother with med control to administer it ourselves? I know why it would be important to consult with med contril prior to the admin of epi... but my interpritation of this loophole makes it almost not essential.

Also, should we really encourage a patient to take any med on scene that we personally cant give to them, without talking to a doctor?

The practice and policy of many services (but not a law or regulation at least no one provided such) that I think is utterly stupid is the you call we haul. It is time people get educated enough to make a few decisions on their own. It is time we deny transport to those that do not have a real need for ambulance transport.

In response to Spenac, Akroeze, and Crotchitymedic1986's comments of quoting all or part of someone else's posting, If I just want to respond to one line, why should I be forced to read the entirety?

If all I need is "Tis far the better thing I do that I have ever done", I don't need all that proceeds it, from "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.