Type II ambulances on 911-calls

Harold1

We run in "vanbulances" for 911. It takes some getting used to. Our state requires stair chairs, and we have a mount for them in the rear of the pt compartment on the drivers side. We have McCoy Miller and Medix rigs. Also have a few mods, which I prefer. Give me a center mount anytime! The only bonus I've noticed with the vans is that they can sometimes get where our other trucks can't. Major downside is they are VERY top heavy and unstable on ice. I was hit by a lady that ran a stop sign in 2007 and she made our truck roll. We have never had a problems in the vans as far as not having room for equipment, though you do have to get creative sometimes. We run with the FD as a back up and they have a Mod.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our primary ALS unit is a type III but the backup is a type II. It's a little tougher to work in as mentioned, but it still has all the gear. One advantage it does have over the type II not yet mentioned, is travel through snow. The type II is much better because the front wheels plow a path for the rear to follow. A dual wheel type I or III has to push the front and back wheels thru the snow, typically resulting in it getting stuck where the type II wouldn't.

If I may, speak from a BLS point of view.

The only ALS 9-1-1 company I worked for had about 30 ambulances, only 2 of which were modular and were generally reserved for barriatric and NICU use. That being said, our medics mostly ran 9-1-1 in Type IIs. My partners have never complained regarding space. Ive ran a few criticals that had 3 people in back not including the patient. If the ambulance is spec'ed out well... you can place your monitor on a shelf and your bag on the floor next to the command seat, leaving room for any needed help as well as still being in reach.

When it comes to modulars most medics in my observations just throw their gear on the bench next to them anyways. While you lose length in a Type-II, this option is still a possability. In all reality though you can quickly lose space in a modular. I had a chest pain call at the state prison yesterday... myself, the medic and his gear, the correctional officer and patient were too much. My preceptor opted to ride up front.

In terms of Type-IIs lacking the seat on the drivers side of most modular ambulances, I can do without that... often I find its to far (behind) a patient whos sitting upright on the stretcher.

When it comes to others riding in back... police and other EMS only. Unless its a pedi parent... there is never family in the back of ambulances around here.

~~~~~

Overall though I love the Type-IIs in terms of reach. I can get almost everything I need with minimal movement. I would much rather drive a bigger ambulance though. While you lose manuverability, you gain stability... its wider, and easier to lower the center of gravity. Additionally they dont get thrown around as much by the wind when crossing large bridges.

A lieutenant I know through the FDNY EMS Emergency Vehicle Operations Course mentions one big problem with all type ones and threes: They have a large area on the sides where, if bumped hard enough, that ambulance is rolling over. He alleges the force needed is a lot less than for a type 2.

I don't want to find out by experiencing it firsthand.

Youll have to forgive my over-the-pondian status, but whats a Type I, II and III :?

Hey no problem. Not every area has every type ambulance. And I dont see a need for it to be common knowledge. Anyways...

Type I ambulances are built on a pickup truck chassis with a small box. The box and cab are not connected and access from one to the other is usually just a small window.

Type II ambulances are small utility vans.

Type III (modular) ambulances are on a van or truck chassis with a box. The cab and box are connected and there is usually a small door or hatch access between both.

Im not sure if meduim duty ambulances are a class of their own or are Type III but they are generally heavy chassis vehicles like a Chevy C4500 or Freightliner (usually what a public works or DOT dump truck is built on).

I live in an area where there very few type 1's and there FD system ambulance's, where Denver Health,AMR, and One other uses Type 11 Ambulances, The use Type 111 Ambulances such as Western,Pridemark,Capitol City. They are required to carry State mandated equipment and certified by the counties they work in. Alot of Colorado areas use Type 1 Rigs, Bigger,More stability and better in Snow conditions.. But in a Urban enviroment a Type 11 Works well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.