A few of these...

RAV%20-%20GMC%20A%20Series2%20web.jpg

f350%2015.jpg

2004-toyota-Troopcarrier--R.jpg

2003-Nissan-4wd---RAV.jpg

But almost all vehicles used are the older or newer mercedez sprinter vans

2002%204WD%20Mercedes%20316%20cdi%20sprinter.jpg

mercedes-315-1j.jpg

I should say that GMC's a F trucks were used here an aus for 2 decades as "the" vehicle of choice for ambulance design, as was the use of modular boxes. Almost everywhere has since moved away from this because of price and maintenance costs, but more importantly because of the passenger safety that comes with using the merc's. There is just no comaprison. If i had to dial up a prang in an ambulance id wat it in one of these sprinter vans. My collleagues also agree, i can honeslty say i have not met anyone who would go back to the larger "type I or III" vehicles, even if the II's are a bit smaller inside.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type III: Usually van chassis with box attached - has a walk through area to get from cab to chassis if you are skinny. Better ride than type 1.

Not always. Type III's in Ontario do not have walk-throughs as per provincial regulations which do not allow it. (So I've been told. I didn't bother to verify this.) Point is no Type III I've been in has a walkthrough.

Hey bushy thats pretty cool, the snorkel on the ambulance... is the patient compartment watertight up to a certain depth? I know generally that most vehicles arnt watertight in the passenger compartment.
Yeah, i believe they are all watertight in the back. The 4x4 with the remountable box (actually a dog of a truck to work in) are a terrible ride because they are very top heavy. They are also to high to get the stretcher in an out and so were fitted with air suspension. There is a button inside the rear door that releases the air from the bags lowering it the proper height for getting the stretcher in and out. only problem is that all the weight inverts the lea springs. Because its a custom build, it has blown air seals on the patient compartment.

The Landcruiser is a great truck, it is absolutley tiny inside though and does not have a head seat. Having said that, its either the land cruiser or a helicopter. Im prettyy sure watertight seals are standard on the landcruiser when they come from toyota.

There is a vehicle working group who is coming up with replacement for the two 4x4's as neither are quite adequate. General offroad stuff thats mildly outside of a regular cars limits will be done with a 4x4 version of the sprinter, with everything else being done by a 6x4 landcruiser, that has yet to be budgeted for or an internal fit out designed.

The landcruiser can also have caterpillar tracks fitted for use in the snow, which just look sensational :D

2 years ago, Radio Shack was selling r/c ford F150 trucks, equipped with those tracks. They didn't believe the tracks for real 4 wheel drive vehicles existed, until I showed them the ad in the JEMS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.