Type II ambulances on 911-calls

Harold1

For those who still have no clue as to type ones, twos and threes, I just looked up some pictures, from a company called Taylor Made.

I must mention this company manufactures golf clubs, and maritime flags, if it is the company I think it is, and I have no knowledge of the quality of the ambulance products shown, but at least it shows the thee types off quite well.

Again, I have to apologize that I am still unable to put the pictures directly into the string, and can only supply the link, but I see that as better than nothing.

http://www.taylormadeambulance.com/typei.html

http://www.taylormadeambulance.com/typeii.html

http://www.taylormadeambulance.com/typeiii.html

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably the usual criterias: Ride, interior room, external storage space, road stability, stretcher lifting distance from floor/street to patient care area floor, interior lighting package, external emergency and scene lighting packages, the next company over just got one, so you need one that looks even better...the list goes on!

BTW, some of that list is real, some is intended as LOL. I won't identify which is which.

Also, I have seen some type ones, described on this string as having only a window/transom between the cab and the cabin, and type threes which have a closable door between the cab and cabin.

I have also seen a few type ones with the door, and some type threes with only the transom. There are no absolutes here.

BTW, some of that list is real, some is intended as LOL. I won't identify which is which.

So what Type should I get if I want the air bags (that lower the back for loading and unloading) up front to? Specifically if I want to be able to controll them simultaneously and indavidualy while static or going up and down the road? :o

Type 1 ambulances can be and usually are spec'd out w/ 4 wheel drive fou us guys up here in da snow

and type 3's are 2 Wheel drive only

Even there, I see you giving generalizations. There are no absolutes (except for a type vodka).

After a worldwide hunt for 4 wheel drive ambulances a couple of decades ago (they retired a then 15 year old International suburban body ambulance), the ones currently in service with the Roxbury VFD/EMS, and the Rockaway Point VFD/EMS are type threes. They, and the Point Breeze (aka Breezy Point) VFD (some EMTs, but no EMS responsibilities, so no ambulance), also use 4 wheel drive engine companies, due to a big portion of their response area is accessible only by travelling over sand. If I back them with the FDNY EMS type ones, I have to stop at the end of the pavement, as not to get stuck!

Type 1: Pick-up chassis with box -- more room in cab and box, usually has horrible ride, even with air-ride.

Type II: Van --- better ride, better fuel-mileage, cramped space (cheaper in price to buy)

Type III: Usually van chassis with box attached - has a walk through area to get from cab to chassis if you are skinny. Better ride than type 1.

So what Type should I get if I want the air bags (that lower the back for loading and unloading) ...?

Those are a custom item, probably every manufacturer has a package including that feature, and I have seen them on all three types.

Beware! I view it as something else to break down at exactly the most inopportune moment, as in Mister Murphy's laws!

Beware! I view it as something else to break down at exactly the most inopportune moment, as in Mister Murphy's laws!

At least I would be breaking down in style... while simultaneously giving my ETOHs and psychs more head and stomach problems! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.