Union Affiliations

divingmedic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They suck! :shock: :D

And blow too. They blow a lot of smoke up your arse to get your support, then deliver squat while spending your dues money on a bunch of crap that you otherwise would not support.

So I guess we should just allow the private for profit EMS providers to voluntarily give you raises and represent you in a dispute if its in their interests ... looks like its working well with the huge wages that you emt b's recieve in the US.

Unions are no different from any politician/s, let them run free rein and thats what one gets, but be involved and keep's them responsible, just saying life is always a double edged sword.

From personal experiance I changed my views radically I was anti-union in the idealistic years of my life but when I was properly represented in a dumb ass grievance as without them I would have been asking .. fries with that burger sir?

cheers

ps I forgot that we can claim union and association dues are a deduction on our taxes here ...

I find it funny how quickly folks around here slam the unionized people. It is the same old arguments:

1) I had a bad experience with a union so I hate them all

2) unions never follow thru with their promises

3) unions always protect the slugs that deserve to get fired

4) blah blah blah

It is true that there are awful unions out there, and you may have a bad relationship with one of them, but why does that make them all suck? Unions are, as tnuqs stated, "no different from any politician/s, let them run free rein and thats what one gets, but be involved and keep's them responsible, just saying life is always a double edged sword."I have never understood paying union dues and not being involved, it would be no different than paying for cable tv and never changing the channel. How does one pay for a service and never explore what is involved? Unions do protect those who get in to trouble, and do what they can to get their jobs back, but, and I know this may be a stretch for some, if you don't get in to trouble....why do you have to worry about anything?

Let me ask all of you who oppose unions. How many of you pay for a membership to any EMS organization? MEMSA is one in Missouri for instance. Now how have they helped you and your profession? What is the benefit of paying for the membership every year?

It has been stated time and time again here in the "city" that EMS is in a state of disarray. So when and how are these different organizations going to make significant change?

What is the difference?

edited to add: http://www.memsa.org/content/view/23/64/ The web site for MEMSA.

If your state associations are worth a dam, they are there to fight for EMS at the state level and to lobby for the changes needed at the state level.

I have never seen a union that was worth a dam. As you put it, the only ones that are helped by them are the ones that should not be.

I have no problems with the pay at the private companies. Oh wait, I choose not to work for them! :D I have never seen a good private company. I work for county run EMS only. I pick and choose who I work for and I watch out for my own backside. I do not need to pay someone part of my hard earned money to watch out for me.

If you choose to work for the privates, then that is your choice. Just keep in mind that they do not care about you. They care about making money, bottom line!

And blow too. They blow a lot of smoke up your arse to get your support, then deliver squat while spending your dues money on a bunch of crap that you otherwise would not support.

seems to me dust that is because unions in the states do not seem to have balls............

here in the great land of Oz things are a little different, we were raised on unionism

i am attending a union meeting tomorrow in where if the paramedics of this state do not get what we thing we deserve, instead of the insult that was offered, then we will walk out

leaving emergency calls only and esculate it from there

ahhh, to quote a line from the song by the strawbs................you wont get me cause i'm part of the union.....

stay safe

Craig