Union Affiliations

divingmedic

I am glad the the union helped you guys out. That said, they still are not needed! The last two systems I have worked for have all the benefits and equipment you mentioned and more. Neither service was union. The last service I was with was only 4 years old and the benefits and equipment were top of the line.

Why were these systems like this? Because the county government stood behind them. If they didn't, then I would have went else where for work.

So yes, unions can help you, but all this can be done without them. You just have to know how to play the game.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That brings up an often overlooked point, which is that, in union states, employers will hold back on benefit and work condition improvements simply to maintain bargaining tools for future negotiations. Where the "us vs. them" relationship does not exist, you don't have that problem. And consequently, everytime you get something you should have already had, you credit it to the union that you didn't need.

Ask yourself this: Have you ever seen your employer offer up something without union negotiations? Probably not. They have no incentive to, because no matter what they offer you, they know the union is always going to ask for more at the next contract, simply because they can. Sorry, but I just don't like getting screwed, much less paying dues to get screwed.

I am glad the the union helped you guys out. That said, they still are not needed! The last two systems I have worked for have all the benefits and equipment you mentioned and more. Neither service was union. The last service I was with was only 4 years old and the benefits and equipment were top of the line.

Why were these systems like this? Because the county government stood behind them. If they didn't, then I would have went else where for work.

So yes, unions can help you, but all this can be done without them. You just have to know how to play the game.

This is correct, and let me be the first to say as a hard core union member, if the employees are being taken care of and the district has what is needed to be effective, then there is NO need for a union!

Thats right I said it! My situation, in the beginning, was NOT one of those situations, but due to the unionization of OUR employees, and the strength of our shop we have been able to utilize the tools of being unionized to effectively increase the level of our system to the point that we are at now, and are working towards the future.

Dust, let me ask again, do you pay for any membership related to EMS, and bettering EMS, such as MEMSA? If so, how do you feel it is any different than paying for union dues such as in my case? I did address that question to Dust, but really any one of you who feel similar, that question is for you.

Dust, let me ask again, do you pay for any membership related to EMS, and bettering EMS, such as MEMSA? If so, how do you feel it is any different than paying for union dues such as in my case? I did address that question to Dust, but really any one of you who feel similar, that question is for you.

No, I do not. But, I will still say that the difference between the two would be great. Were I paying dues to any professional organisation, that would be for the betterment of the profession, not just a selfish play for my own personal benefits. Not even remotely comparable.

I would have to agree.

NENA(National Emergency Number Association) doesn't give a rat's ass about my working conditions, or my pay, or my benefits. They are to lobby for the needs of 911 as a whole. Phase 3 cell phone service, digital mapping, interoperations.

COMPLETELY diffrent from a union, whos primary concern (or supposed to be) of your wages and benefits.

I will agree that the unions are flawed as is every other organization out there related to EMS. Sounds to me that there are a couple of people that need to do some more research about unions. The IAFF which is fire based (flaw for EMS) does lobby for the betterment of the 911 system. They do lobby for increased education, and yes I have seen some posts here slamming that issue, but they were letters from a chief's club....NOT the IAFF. The IAFF isn't the only union doing this either, look in to the teamsters. Do some research about the political fights that the unions are involved in, then come back and tell me that they don't care about anything more than my pay and benefits.

I find it humorous that because I answered a question, that I am now selfish because I support MY union. Time and time again here on these posts in the "city" you see pissing and moaning about being overworked and under paid, a lack of education, piss poor equipment, so on and so forth. When I get asked what the union has done for me, I answered it, and from what I can tell the work conditions in my immediate situation are bad ass. I could only hope that most, if not all, of us could have similar work conditions. Instead I get opinions that are obviously out dated about the unions, or just plain uneducated.

I am not putting you down for belonging to a union. I stated that it is good if they helped you, at your service. I stated that everything you stated can and has been done without unions.

The need for unions died in the early 80's. People are a little more educated in the ways of the work force today. They know how to deal with it themselves.

People can bitch all they want about low pay or bad equipment. The difference with this job is you have a choice. If you don't like what is being done to you, then leave. There is a shortage in this country and the need for good medics is every where. You choose to work where you do, no one is forcing you to work any where.

For you, it sounds like you have a great place to work. It may be because of the union, but do you still need them? Are you and your fellow employees not capable of joining together and standing up for what you want? Why do you continue to pay dues? What is the union doing for you now? As "someone" stated, this is like paying for cable and never changing the channel.

For you, it sounds like you have a great place to work. It may be because of the union, but do you still need them? Are you and your fellow employees not capable of joining together and standing up for what you want? Why do you continue to pay dues? What is the union doing for you now? As "someone" stated, this is like paying for cable and never changing the channel.

Reaper, As far as needing them now, the answer is going to be no. I have stated that we get along great with the BOD, now. The unfortunate issue in that case is that the BOD is an elected position, therefore could change at any given time, thus giving us the reason to maintain membership with our union. The union lobbies for many issues, both for the work place and improving the 911 system as a whole. Are they the leaders in the betterment of our profession? No, but neither are organizations similar to MEMSA as I have said before. The joint effort is what it is going to take to win the battles that EMS is faced with everyday. Therefore my membership with the IAFF would be no different than any membership of an organization that is out there fighting for our profession, an extra bonus is the benefits that I have listed of course. So yes I have "changed the channels".

As far as me and my fellow employees standing up together to get what we want, would you not be describing unionization?

Let play this out a bit, lets say we decide to drop our membership with the IAFF, and all continue to work here. Then lets say that in the next election the BOD changes, and starts taking away that 75% family coverage that we get now. We all get together as a group (of course remembering the old union days), and decide we are not going to tolerate it. We then decide to go in and fight to keep that benefit. Will it work if only one of us expresses that we are not happy? No, it will take all 24 of us to make the point. Guess what, we just reorganized and united, last time I checked, that was unionization. Could we leave and just say I don't want to work there anymore? Sure, but what if we actually enjoy working at this place? What if, as union members, we enjoy our jobs?

The ONLY time you will EVER see a union standing up for increased education is if it is in an attempt to keep vollies or other part-timers from being able to take their jobs. It is NEVER because they believe that increased education or professionalism would be beneficial to the profession or to the citizens. Never.

Unions spend more time whining about who pays for their EZ Boy recliners than they do about professional standards. Screw them and those who support them. You don't like your working conditions? Change them or quit. But dragging down the entire profession in the process is yes, a selfish option.

Can you explain to me how exactly unionization is dragging down an entire profession?

Did I not effectively describe the need for change, and the changes that were made as employees, due to the help of the union?

Listen, I'm not sitting here tell you or anybody else NEEDS to join a union to be happy in their job. It is however an effective tool to better not only the work place but the system as well. Its obvious that there are issues that you and others here have about any union, but the IAFF is for sure enemy number one for you, I'm guessing because of the two f's together at the end.

When this shop formed we were the first in the county to organize. Since that time we are one shop of four in this county alone. The work environment for those other districts have improved 10 fold, and turn over rate have drastically improved over time. So how exactly did the union drag down this county EMS system?

I do kick back in a very nice "EZ boy" chair when watching TV, and sipping on my virgin margaritas while being fed grapes by half naked exotic women.....it is also in my contract!