HIGHSCHOOL AND EMT-B CLASS

mikka

Oh my.

Lots of opions here. I went to emt school as an adult and a mother of 3. The course I took included highschool kids. There where day classes and night classes. Day class was the teenagers in school night classes where the adults. I must say, our combined classes and manditory study sessions where hell. The adults and the kids where on different levels across the board. I was infuriated on a number of times of what I felt like was being held back by the younger group. What could have been accomplished in 6 months was stretched to 9 months. After all was said and done not many of the kids passed, they had to retest some of the multiple times.

One even took the entire emt-b course a second time. When asked WHY he did it all over again? (he is currently a coworker of mine in dispatch) his response was that he felt that he wasnt mentally or emotinally prepared the first time around and he lacked maturity he felt was needed for the seriousness of the job.

Now those are not MY words, that is from the voice of experience, one who took the class in high school himself. I just thought I would share his experience with you. Hope it does give you a little bit to think about. AND for the record this was a votec/technical program..........

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There hadn't been very many high school students take the EMS class here, but the one's that did had to show a maturity well beyond their years. I'd say about 70% that started the class were either dismissed or dropped out when it came to the issue of handling issues regarding mentally or emotionally mature.

And it's not just "young'uns", there were adults that didn't have the maturity for the class or the job.

I'm not sure how many high school students have taken the class since I had. That's been right at 25 yrs. ago. So my data may be off somewhat.

Being a high school student and volunteer with my local ems has allowed me to mature as an adult... When i first started many looked right past me when it came to helping...but know i am called to go on transfers and other BLS calls...many students that i go to school with could never do what i do...But i have stepped up and proven myself and now have the respect of older and younger ems personal.

Being a high school student and volunteer with my local ems has allowed me to mature as an adult... When i first started many looked right past me when it came to helping...but know i am called to go on transfers and other BLS calls...many students that i go to school with could never do what i do...But i have stepped up and proven myself and now have the respect of older and younger ems personal.

When you throw yourself into a job that requires maturity that says a lot. When others your age who's biggest worry is acne or trying to hide a hickey, you're out there where lives are depending on you. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Meh... high school EMS is for fat kids and dorks, neither of whom have prospects for any kind of social life. That's why they seek this kind of thing out. It takes the place of their social life. Consequently, that is exactly how they view it; it's just a social life, not a professional pursuit.

I give it two thumbs down.

Meh... high school EMS is for fat kids and dorks, neither of whom have prospects for any kind of social life.

Well i am neither a fat kid or a dork so easy there dude...And my school does not offer the class i am doing it on my own time...And with the money that I raised working a job. :x And i do have a social life as well I was not the one to find this a friend of mine that works at ems suggested that i took a look at it ...But thanks tho :angry4:

Meh... high school EMS is for fat kids and dorks, neither of whom have prospects for any kind of social life. That's why they seek this kind of thing out. It takes the place of their social life. Consequently, that is exactly how they view it; it's just a social life, not a professional pursuit.

I give it two thumbs down.

Seems like I made a pretty good professional career of it for more than 16yrs. And still had a fun social life. Still did all the same things as my peers. Sure there were times I couldn't go to a party or other functions because I was on call or something, but I never felt like I was being deprived of anything. B)/

whoa now. some services are BOTH paid and volunteer. mine(fire company) has a paid medic and an emt 24/7, and then any 2nd call that comes in while the ALS ambulance is out, is handled by the volunteers.

...And my school does not offer the class i am doing it on my own time...

Ummm... okay, so since none of that even applies to you, WTF are you getting so defensive about? :roll:

I would wait until your done with high school to take the class, but also I would just know the book and go by the book because out in the real world things are done different. so it will hurt you if you go by what you do in the real world not but the book, just always remember airway airway airway airway if you dont take care of that everything else is useless