HIGHSCHOOL AND EMT-B CLASS

mikka

Volly Crap you should be ashamed of that comment!!!

I do believe that you will find that a large portion of the posters on this board are against vollies because:

1. They fight against increasing the fields educational standards in the name of numbers.

2. They give away their services for free (you don't see people working on trash trucks for free, do you? Those services cost money too) which results in:

2.A Cities keeping from upgrading to paramedic level care because of "money." (yet they still seem to be able to offer all of those other civic services)

2.B. downward pressure on paid provider wages.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 19 when I went through the EMT-B class, right out of high school. I am also very ADHD. I now work for a transfer company in houston (houston is only hiring EMTs with a Fire Certification, and I'm working on that now.) but I took the class, yes, I f***ked off in class almost the whole time, but when I got home I really buckled down and studied. I kinda have a photographic memory, so that helped me alot. I just read my book during class, all on my own, ignoring the class and the teacher. and I passed both exams with mid- to upper 80's for the grade.

:!: :!: :!: >>>AND<<< :!: :!: :!: I do NOT take ritalin or any other drug for my ADHD. I've learned to deal and work and live with it. My employer knows I have ADHD, but so far, I'm doing very well for myself, so I don't know why you shouldn't have a problem with it. I say go for it. as for the whole have-to-be-21? yeah, I ran into the same problem. I worked as a shop hand close to home until I was 21. then I got my own apartment in houston with my new job.

Many of us started out as volunteers, so on a whole, I can't slam most volunteer services. But there are those out there that can be, and need to be slammed. But with any organization, volunteer or paid, there's good and bad.

It's great when someone is eager to advance, but sometimes the best route is to have patience and get experience along the way.

[s:31d144dfab]Each concept must build a foundation for the next. EMT-B experience (which is usually nothing more than volly crap or non-emergency transfers, if you can get it at all, which most cannot) does little more than set you up with a lot of bad habits and mistaken notions that are difficult to overcome. [/s:31d144dfab] Are you kidding???? I volunteer for a very busy service that did 2800 calls in 2008 and we are strictly EMTI level (no transfers)with very dedicated people many of which rode as observers prior to volunteering. Went on to take the EMTB then EMTI and a few went of for medic after that. Volly Crap you should be ashamed of that comment!!! Work hard Mikka you will be fine!

I hope you meant 2800 calls in 2007. If that's what you meant, your service is in no way, shape or form "busy." My PAID service did over 80,000 calls last year. I even got a paycheck, continuing education, and health benefits. I bet I would have had a better paycheck if people wouldn't do my job for free.

As for taking the EMT-B class in high school... You're 18, go ahead and take it. I do side with the educated few that believe you should continue with a college accredited paramedic education without stopping. Don't take the time to develop bad habits and the false sense of thinking you know it all that so often happens when people go and get some field time before progressing.

I hope one day EMS will move forward from this archaic thought process.

Please continue with your regularly scheduled bashing session.

2800 calls and it was VOLUNTEER???

That's an average of more than 7.5 calls per 24 hour day! Why is it not PAID?

"Sigh", akroeze, I fear the answer to this is the same as always. They are willing to do it for free so why pay somebody. ](*,)

2800 calls and it was VOLUNTEER???

That's an average of more than 7.5 calls per 24 hour day! Why is it not PAID?

Thats more calls than any of the services I'm involved with. In fact might be more calls than all combined yet I'm paid at all of them.

Some educators require experience as a Basic and or Intermediate before one can enroll into a Paramedic class...

But yes! Education is important! It will never hurt to go "above and beyond."

Have you thought of Nursing?...Great field with so many options as to what you want to specialize in!

Hmmmm....I think you should just do WHAT you WANT to do!!! :lol: I believe that you know what is best for yourself.