HIGHSCHOOL AND EMT-B CLASS

mikka

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im done talking in this forum. Im making myself look like an idiot.

Trust me, bro, we've seen our share of idiots here.

You do not appear to be one of them, by any means. :wink:

Have you ever seen the movie "patch adams"? It is related to the class i took. As I said he wanted us to really get involved with our patients and really find out whats going on and figure out the best way to help them. Sorry he sounds like a crap instructor...maybe you should meet him.

Yeah, actually I bought the movie a while ago so I've seen it, along with the interviews. Good movie (although I still find it hard to believe that there's a doctor out there that wears silverware earrings to his interview). But as the point has been made, the EMT-B class is short as it is. Although I understand that the movie illustrates the motivation to help and heal patients not for money, but for the life experiences, the patient's ability to help the practitioner in their own life and to develop a sense of community and ownership in that community's well being, I think the movie could have been watched on an individual basis and not have used class time. However, I was not the instructor, it was his class and his decision.

I am glad you have a high regard for your instructor and I wouldn't be opposed to meeting him. I don't think he was a crap instructor and would like to think I wouldn't base my assessment of his ability to teach because of one decision.

Im done talking in this forum. Im making myself look like an idiot.

That would be disappointing. You're making yourself look like someone who doesn't have a whole lot of experience in this field, but has the determination to defend his ideas. Not a bad start for 17. :wink:

• 6 months later...
at my school it is, well we go to the high school and get on a bus that takes us to a technical school, then after 2nd block we get back on the bus and go back to the high school to finish out the rest of our day. the state is allowing the classes as a trial class. its pretty cool. i dont think its offered in any of the other states, but it might be. i haven't really read that much into it.

That sounds a lot like what my school offers... but due to the block schedule I start in January.

That sounds a lot like what my school offers... but due to the block schedule I start in January.

Are there any prerequisites? Are there any classes that you are required to have successfully completed before being accepted into the EMT programme, like Anatomy & Physiology, Chemistry, Physics, Algebra, or Psychology? Is there a specific GPA required to get in? Parental approval? A pre-test? Just wondering if they just take anyone, or if it is an honour or privilege to get in.

I think school is more priority. Get your education.

The EMT course is my elective. So I am still taking English, history, math and science courses. I figured that EMS is something I want to do, and if I get the opportunity to learn more about it then I should take it.

I could be taking free periods with my time as well, but instead I decided to take this course. So I am actually getting more of an education than most kids in my grade...

The EMT course is my elective. So I am still taking English, history, math and science courses. I figured that EMS is something I want to do, and if I get the opportunity to learn more about it then I should take it.

I could be taking free periods with my time as well, but instead I decided to take this course. So I am actually getting more of an education than most kids in my grade...

Uh ok, I see, well good luck then....

It's not the class itself that is likely to sidetrack your education. It's getting involved in EMS that can do that. Trust me, I've been there in high school too. It very often becomes an obsession that distracts from your academic commitments. But hey, I can't say that it is any more likely to do so than skateboarding or computer/video games, or any of the other stupid things that people get off into, so that's not really a fair assumption in the long run. Just keep your head on straight and stay focused on a well rounded education, not just EMS, and you'll do fine. Good luck!

It's not the class itself that is likely to sidetrack your education. It's getting involved in EMS that can do that. Trust me, I've been there in high school too. It very often becomes an obsession that distracts from your academic commitments. But hey, I can't say that it is any more likely to do so than skateboarding or computer/video games, or any of the other stupid things that people get off into, so that's not really a fair assumption in the long run. Just keep your head on straight and stay focused on a well rounded education, not just EMS, and you'll do fine. Good luck!

This was indeed my problem at High School. I was so busy doing everything but school work, I didn’t study and only did homework if it was required to pass the class. My end of year results also reflected this.

I was heavily involved with EMS event standby, fire, football and social commitments. After school I’d find myself heading to football practice, going to fire and EMS training then spending my weekends at football matches, fire calls, standby events and going out with friends. School was the last of my worries.

To be truthful I appsalutly despised high school to the point of even wagging a few classes. Lucky, the Australian Education system is so dilapidated with old, burnt out teachers and a less than impressive education department that produces brain dead high school graduates with no life skills or education what so ever.

Having been in ‘higher education’ for the past 9 months I can say I’m having the time of my life, I’m motivated to study and immensely enjoy it. I can safely say that high school has not given me anything that would contribute to being a student paramedic or nurse. I did high school English and went pretty average, I learnt all I needed to know in the ‘writing at a tertiary level’ workshop at uni and went very well on the essays we’ve done thus far. The only down fall I have is my Math skills but high school math is nothing like what we do in nursing class.