HIGHSCHOOL AND EMT-B CLASS

mikka

at my high school Firefighter 1 and 2 training and EMT-B training is offered as an elective course. im not sure how it works in other states but here is about a 3 1/2 hr long class for fire for a semester and then its EMT-B. At the end of the course you can take the state exam and get certified.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at my high school Firefighter 1 and 2 training and EMT-B training is offered as an elective course. im not sure how it works in other states but here is about a 3 1/2 hr long class for fire for a semester and then its EMT-B. At the end of the course you can take the state exam and get certified.

Wow, progressive high school. When I did take my first EMT class over the summer it helped that the high school principal was in the same class. And the school superintendent was in the previous class. It was a BLAST :blob7: taking it at the same time as him. We even occasionally went on calls together during class. And we would be put on call in the evenings. But all in all, not all the teachers were too hip on me getting called out of school, even when the principal was with me. :dontknow:

What a fantastic idea!! Let's forget all about algebra, English Lit., Chemistry, History, and all of those other useless classes they offer in high school. It's much more important to learn how to put out a fire or sling a bandaid at 16. It's not like you have to be literate to be an EMT anymore. :roll:

What a fantastic idea!! Let's forget all about algebra, English Lit., Chemistry, History, and all of those other useless classes they offer in high school. It's much more important to learn how to put out a fire or sling a bandaid at 16. It's not like you have to be literate to be an EMT anymore. :roll:

The down side is the make up homework. :homework: As long as I kept up grades and got all my assignments done it was no problem with me running. But I knew that if I let any of them drop everyone concerned would have pulled me off duty. Actually I think I made better grades because I wanted to be sure I'd keep running.

But firedoc5. didn't you take your EMT class over the summer? There is a difference between some overlapping with high school and being a class during the school year. I think that is what EMS49393 was alluding to and I feel confident she will correct me if I'm wrong. Instead of taking courses that should be required to proceed to a higher level of learning, the option to go play fireman is in place instead.

How is that progressive?

my schedule looks like this :

EMT-B

English/History

Geometry

my school has block scheduling so we spend an hour and a half in each class...and my EMT-B class is 2 blocks.

But firedoc5. didn't you take your EMT class over the summer? There is a difference between some overlapping with high school and being a class during the school year. I think that is what EMS49393 was alluding to and I feel confident she will correct me if I'm wrong. Instead of taking courses that should be required to proceed to a higher level of learning, the option to go play fireman is in place instead.

How is that progressive?

Actually the EMT class overlapped about three weeks into the new school year. And since I was quite 17 when I passed the state test I had to wait a couple more weeks before I could actually function. Made my first official run the day before my 18th birthday. The state gave me the one day.

Is the EMT classes being offered at the high school?

at my school it is, well we go to the high school and get on a bus that takes us to a technical school, then after 2nd block we get back on the bus and go back to the high school to finish out the rest of our day. the state is allowing the classes as a trial class. its pretty cool. i dont think its offered in any of the other states, but it might be. i haven't really read that much into it.

The high schools where I grew up work in conjunction with Regional Occupational Programs (ROP) (including EMT-B and medical first responder. The first responder course is a pre-req for high school students, but waived for adults) that junior and seniors are eligible to take. These courses are graded for the students and take the place of 1 class period (so they still have to take, at minimum, 4 other courses). The EMT-B course is only opened to seniors, and it is preferred that students turn 18 before the end of the course so that they will be eligible to take the NREMT Basic exam.

:banghead:

I wouldn't have a problem with fire and EMS classes being offered in a vocational/technical setting in high school if they enabled a student to have a career when they graduated. That is not the case in most places. You can roll out of the auto mechanics program and into a career. You can roll out of the cosmetology program and into a career. You can NOT roll out of fire and EMS vo-tech into career placement. An evening class a few nights a week is one thing, wasting half a day is entirely different.

I grew up in the great state of Maryland. We had vo-tech schools in several counties. The purpose of the fire/EMS vo-tech classes were to let students waste quality educational time to benefit their volunteer fire departments. There is no career involved in this. They can't even work private ambulance, as the minimum driving age for most services is anywhere from 21 to 25 years old. They can apply to the various career departments in the state, but they don't give a rats behind if you have fire or EMT training. If you're lucky enough to get hired, you'll go through all that training again in the academy. Career departments often like candidates with NO previous experience. You'll have less bad habits they have to beat out of you.

Now, it seems to me that a student would get more benefit from upper level math, English, science, etc. Classes that would help them when they go to college, and pursue their dream of being a paramedic. I can tell you from personal experience, and I'm fairly certain I'm not alone here, that college graduates have a far better chance of being hired than someone that dismisses half their high school education so they can play around in their volunteer house all day.

I feel that same way about cutting class to run calls. You need an education. It doesn't matter how much you think you know, or how much homework you keep up with. Nothing can replace your lecture time in class, and your interaction with your teachers and fellow students. Let the adults handle the emergencies while you handle your learning.