HIGHSCHOOL AND EMT-B CLASS

mikka

So you are saying that the experience gained in the field as a basic does not play into medic school at all? Seeing procedures and skills performed and knowing why they are definitely gives you an edge up when you have to learn to do them yourself. Not to mention the drugs and their uses prior to learning them in school officially.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are saying that the experience gained in the field as a basic does not play into medic school at all?

No. I am saying that the negatives outweigh the positives. There is a reason that education is presented in a specific order. Each concept must build a foundation for the next. EMT-B experience (which is usually nothing more than volly crap or non-emergency transfers, if you can get it at all, which most cannot) does little more than set you up with a lot of bad habits and mistaken notions that are difficult to overcome. Those students come in thinking they know things that they don't really know, slowing down progress. I could really care less if my students know what order to give drugs in an arrest, or how to spike a bag. Those are all monkey skills that take one day to master. Paramedic education is intended to present that information to you anyhow, so it's not like you are shortening the class by having already seen anything. And if you really need three years to figure any of that stuff out, you probably aren't cut out to be a medic anyhow.

So where is the benefit? What do you get that you don't get in a good medic school anyhow? And, of course, if you aren't going to a good medic school, why not?

Nope. Give me kids with a blank slate any day over some basic who thinks he has experience. All other factors being equal, I will make a superior medic out of them every time. In fact, the very best partners I have ever had never spent a single day working as an EMT-B before attending medic school. You see, it's a lot easier to build the perfect medic from the ground up than it is to shape somebody into one from an already mis-moulded attempt.

Heck, it's worth it to exclude "experienced" applicants from my classes just so they don't waste so much of our precious educational time with their stupid war stories.

And, of course, we could go on all day long about what a crappy idea volunteering is, on almost every level. But a quick use of the search function will bring you up to speed without having to rehash all this again. You see, every week, somebody new comes along and says all three things you just said, and all three of them get completely shot down again by the voices of education and experience, so none if this is new territory.

Welcome aboard!

So you are saying that the experience gained in the field as a basic does not play into medic school at all?

First word of advice. Read carefully before responding. Do you really want to defend the fact that that is what you pulled out of the above post? Just a thought.

And welcome! I'm not at all sniping at you, just speaking as one that's had to say "Ooops...I guess that's not what I really meant", more than I care to remember.

I look forward to your posts....

Dwayne

Edit: Late post...I guess that's what I get for making Mac & Cheese between hitting the Reply and Submit buttons...

First off to answer to first question, yes go ahead and take the EMT-B class right away. Might as well, I believe with enough effort and persistence you will overcome your ADHD and find a way to focus and understand the material.

In my opinion you should not go straight on the Paramedic class. Get an EMT-B job if possible with a local service, in a hospital as an ER Tech, or at least do a ride along here and there. Yes you can learn a lot of vital info from this experience. Many of us need to see something done in order to learn it, as this is learning style. Working as an EMT-B is great and will give you an opportunity to see and learn more, that is if you actively seek answers to the many things that you will not understand as an EMT-B. I am a curious person and ask a lot of questions of the nurses, paramedics, and doctors when I don't understand a patients condition or treatment. I find myself looking up meds and understanding more and more about what is going on.

However the EMT-B job or ride along is not nearly as important as actually staying in school. If you are able to afford and have the time continue school full time(at least part time at the least) and take basic college classes from Anatomy/Physiology, Medical Terminology, Chem., Psych, etc before starting Medic class. This education and the experience you get from being an EMT-B will be of much help in my opinion and learning and understanding the material and your patient as you become a paramedic.

Good Luck

Go straight to paramedic school. There is nothing that can be gained working as a basic that can not be gained working as a paramedic. Nothing worse than being unable to do much besides watch a person suffer when you as a basic are the highest level of care. I speak from experience. I because of no choice, except moving, was a basic many years. One of the hardest things I am facing as a paramedic student is relearning correct techniques because of bad habits developed as a basic. I tried to stay up to date but in the field you will be told and see so many wrong techniques that sadly you will be affected and develope a few. Listen to someone that has been there and done that, go straight to paramedic.

If you don't want to go straight to paramedic, as many are advocating, do yourself a favor and begin furthering your education on your own. Check out a few A and P textbooks and really study them. Start studying cardiology and pharmacology. If you aren't sure whether or not you really want to do this as a career (as many of us at age 18 weren't) it might be beneficial for you to get your feet wet while still continuing your education.

Once you're sure you want to go for it, then enroll in a college level A and P course and perhaps some basic chemistry and algebra classes (snip: stole the algebra idea from Dust and think it's a great one). Then apply to medic school.

Not all of us are fortunate enough to not be able to work while continuing our education. As I'm learning the hard way, it's much easier to do a job you actually like and are actually interested in... I'm starting to burn out from my job, and it isn't EMS, which is what I'd really rather be doing.

I guess my ending point is, you are the only one who can decide what is right for you. If you feel very strongly that you need more field time before you learn in-depth medicine, then that is what you need to do. If, after taking the basic class, you feel like you want more in depth understanding before you really start working with these patients, then take the college courses and head off to medic school.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Well there seems to be a lot of different views but for the most part i have come to the conclusion that most of you say go and do the emt-b class. At the present moment I do not plan on going and getting my paramedic right after I get out of class. I would rather get some field time. I have had the opportunity to speak with my local ems and what i have gathered most of the Emt-B's that went straight on to becoming a Emt-P would have rather take the time to get there feet wet a little more. And while others agree that going straight on was great for them they would have also rather had some time in the field.

Thanks for the replies...

I am an EMS instructor. I have taught high school student. Some do well and you sound like someone who knows what you want. If I am right you will do just fine. As for you ADHD, you've been able to get through school and ride with a service without incident for a couple of years, you'll be fine. Just follow you heart. :D

[s:39dbe62aae]Each concept must build a foundation for the next. EMT-B experience (which is usually nothing more than volly crap or non-emergency transfers, if you can get it at all, which most cannot) does little more than set you up with a lot of bad habits and mistaken notions that are difficult to overcome. [/s:39dbe62aae] Are you kidding???? I volunteer for a very busy service that did 2800 calls in 2008 and we are strictly EMTI level (no transfers)with very dedicated people many of which rode as observers prior to volunteering. Went on to take the EMTB then EMTI and a few went of for medic after that. Volly Crap you should be ashamed of that comment!!! Work hard Mikka you will be fine!

Are you kidding???? I volunteer for a very busy service that did 2800 calls in 2008 and we are strictly EMTI level (no transfers)with very dedicated people many of which rode as observers prior to volunteering. Went on to take the EMTB then EMTI and a few went of for medic after that. Volly Crap you should be ashamed of that comment!!! Work hard Mikka you will be fine!
But how do you feel about " High School and EMT-B class"?

And yet, another shining example of what's wrong with USA EMS. If you can run 2800 calls in 17 days, you should be paid dude. I realise that was a typo, but hey, you posted it, it was fair game.

Look, there is no need to run 2800 calls as a volly period.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.