Looking for new tricks to play on new hires

Softball's for wusses. Are you saying you're a wuss?

SIGH. Hey, look over there, its my point, yep, there it goes... To reiterate, once you get all kumbayah and hand holdey at the station, scoreless softball games aren't far behind. As for Senator Clinton, I didn't vote for her, she's not even from here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SIGH. Hey, look over there, its my point, yep, there it goes... To reiterate, once you get all kumbayah and hand holdey at the station, scoreless softball games aren't far behind. As for Senator Clinton, I didn't vote for her, she's not even from here.

She's from every state she campaigns.

You shouldn't have to worry about pranks if you assert yourself from the beginning. If someone gives you an order respond appropriately. My favorite line is "Do I look like your bitch?" If you make a mistake and someone tells you the right way to do it, just say "I know." Personally I love it when a newbie tells me that.

If you don't like the way your station does something make sure and point out "that's not the way we did it at Mooseknuckle VFD ." I am sure they will change their policies after that. Also Paramedics tend to get big heads so make sure you point out that "Paramedic save lives, EMT's save Paramedics." I'll tell ya I never get tired of that classic T-shirt line.

Finally make sure and buy everything you can that says Firefighter or EMT. T-shirts, belt buckles, underwear, watches and of course your own personal jump kit. Galls is always a good source.

Good luck and welcome to EMS. :wink:

Okay, Jake, then what are you supposed to do when you get some 21 know it all a-hole who is ready to lay down the law when they first arrive at the station?
Since I seem to have stirred up a few folks on this topic ( which I believe we have had before ), I would let the 21 y/o " 1" speaker " think he's the cock of the walk, right up until the poop hits the fan and they stare at you with that deer in the headlight look and say " have at it hotshot, You know it all". Then I think we could have a discussion about the way to do things.

Look, I have been known to play a joke or two. However, never on the FNG who is scared enough as it is. Did you ever consider they act like they know it all because they are scared half to death? Trying to put on some bravado. Some are just arseholes and that's they way they are. Others want to impress you with their vast knowledge :roll:, and still others are eager to learn. Let's not scare them off.

I think it was Anthony or Ruff that said there should be a feeling out period before we start to antagonise the newbie. I tend to agree. I'm all about having fun at work. I don't agree with mean-spirited practical joking and humiliation.

We had an EMT here tell anotehr new employee that after every patient you fix up the stretcher and make it perfect.....and put a mint on the pillow, like a hotel.

Well, the newbie fell for it..................................Starlight mints are good!

Finally make sure and buy everything you can that says Firefighter or EMT. T-shirts, belt buckles, underwear, watches and of course your own personal jump kit.

Word on the street is that ak is selling EMT city male thongs on the underground market.

We told a new EMT that there was a new policy for the EMT to wear the glucometer pouch his belt. He wore it for half the shift before we finally let him in on it. We also made him back into the station garages with the emergency lights on. We didn't let him in on that one, so his preceptor was a bit confused on his next shift.

If joking is going to be done do it at the station not in public. Don't do anything that can physically hurt someone.

Myself other than talking to the person the worst I do is tell them they are in charge as it's my day to freak out on all calls.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.