Why do Con home nurses do this

I ask the same question Teri did... how did you, in all your wisdom, know there was no active bleeding??

Maybe he is in NYC, where they carry centrifuges and Hemocult cards on their bat belts?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a racist but the philipino's are the worse bunch, they took my mother's clothing to the wash and now 3 outfits are missing. I said what is wrong with you ppl, can you NOT read? On the cupboard door it says FAMILY DOES LAUNDRY.

I'm not going to turn this thread into a race discussion but I personally met several Philipino's who happen to be great nurses. Of course, there are bad and good members of all race, background, religions, ect. Maybe the ones you were referring to weren't even healthcare providers. Who knows.

My gripe on nursing homes:

The other night, dispatched to a diabetic emergency at a nursing home, glucose level of 46. My BLS crew shows up first. Luckily, the guy had oxygen at 15 LPM via nonrebreather. However his airway was compromised with mucus and saliva and he was drowning in his own fluids. I suction it up and tried to get a response from the patient to see if I can give him some glucose orally. Patient wasn't even responding to pain stimuli, OPA goes in, I can't do anything with the sugar tube.

ALS arrives and asks me, so where's the nurse? I look at him and sacastically say " I don't know, you would think one would be around at a nursing home....maybe shift change is at 3 am?" We both roll our eyes, one of the LPNs comes in with a handful of paperwork and the medic asks her if the nursing home had glucagon because that would have prevented us from even being there. She just looks at us dumbfounded and says " I'll get the nurse!" Nurse never came....

After some miracle sugar water via IV, the patient comes back to life and feels like he can go back to Normandy and kick some behind. We tell him he should go to the hospital so he can escape this mess. He agreed.

Leave the hospital and get called to another nursing home for an elderly male with difficulty breathing. I show up to find the guy didn't even have oxygen on him. Great..... :roll:

I would never sent someone I care about to a nursing home. Its evil!

Oops sorry these ladies are NOT nurses, they are PCA's, and I should of said not all of them are like this. But you have no idea what I go through, hell I get along with the nurses, well some of them.

That's ok one of the girls I know there said they dont like me they talk about me behind my back and it's really not nice. The older one(PCA-aka bath lady) she has grey hair she carries a grudge and every time I meet some new PCA on the floor even if they arent philipino, she's right there to tell them what happened to her after I got through with her at one time. My mother said to me back then when she could talk still, form sentences. She said the bath lady was pinching her and would tell her to shut up and smack her, another PCA told me the same thing but I was not to mention that she told me.

I told the director and she was called in, but,before he did that, is when I was talking to my mom and I was on my cell phone, I saw someone standing in the creak of the door listening/door closed but not all the way. Who ever that was, you could hear her calling someone. I peeked around the corner and I could see her telling and pointing this way, so I stepped out and when she saw me, let's just say she was quick enough to tell the person to whom I was speaking of alot and that person went to find her I guess.

Because that person comes barging into my mother's room and shoots her mouth off.

I've been here 30 yrs blah, blah, bah and how dare you blah, blah, blah.

I went past her and I said to the other lady, you stood at the door and heard everything I said, for that I'm telling the director. What is said in my mother's room is none of your business. The door was fully closed you could see a shadow standing there, thats when I opened to see who it was.

There has been to much shit that goes on in that place, I get along best with . . .

My Doctor's wife is philipino, she's really nice. I just found out 2 days ago that my cousin married a philipino.

I may have not really thought that over but to be literally attacked because my mother had bruises up and down her arms and her legs.

The PCA left her on her own, this was when my mother required a wheelchair because she cant walk now and the PCA didnt put her back into her wheelchair, so instead she went on her break and my mother fell. This happened 2 or 3 times and I'm frustrated seeing my mother with a cut hand or cuts to her face because the PCA left her like that.

SO DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO TELL ME WHO DID THIS, nothing was done, no reprimand.

Their bloody excuse was there isnt enough people for your mom, she needs to be moved to another wing. SO IF THAT WAS THE BLOODY REASON, WHY DID IT TAKE THEM SO LONG TO FIGURE THAT OUT after all those falls.

All the care assistants in the nursing homes I get called out to wear the same uniforms that nurses do (royal blue tunic) so it's impossible to tell who is a nurse and who is a carer.

We had a 999 call to a nursing home for a cardiac arrest, when we got there it took them 5 minutes to answer the door. We were banging on the door and the foreign staff were walking past and looking at us but not one of them let us in (the door was glass so they could see us.)

When we eventually got to the room, they had locked the patient in to prevent the alzheimers patient wandering into the room. Then we found out that the patient had been down for half an hour because they had called the GP first who promptly told them to dial 999.

We reported the incident but guess what? Nothing happened. The nursing home were potentially responsible for the death of this patient but got away with it. Every single one of the care staff was Asian/Indian and spoke very little English.

The patient would have probably died anyway even if they received immediate CPR and an AED but at least they would have had a chance.

I have seen some horrendous abuse in nursing homes (yes it is called abuse, let's not give it a nicer word, let's admit the truth) and it sickens me. I would never put my Mother into a nursing home having seen what I have seen.

Prior to my EMS career, I was a care assistant and I would never treat a patient/service user the way I have seen people treated.

A lot of the time, the stories the care staff give us don't tie in with the condition of the patient. If it was a child then the authorities would take him/her into care and prosecute the parents. But it seems the government don't care about the level of care given to the elderly and allow these abusers to continue treating them this way.

Wendy ... I don't know your situation, or your mothers for that matter, but have we considered a different nursing home? Not that that will be much better, but perhaps there is a chance.

When working transport, I can't begin to tell you how many patients and family members were returning to nursing homes after all sorts of abuse or when working 911 and getting called in for all sorts of stupidity. Seems to happen too often.

2 cents deposited.

Wendy ... I don't know your situation, or your mothers for that matter, but have we considered a different nursing home? Not that that will be much better, but perhaps there is a chance.

Excellent point. Why not move on?

This is just like a relationship. If it's bad, do you just accept the bad? Do you try to change that person? Do you turn gay? Or do you move on and find somebody you are more compatible with?

We have choices. Use yours wisely.

I should think before I post but seeing what you guys deal with, I kinda got off on the wrong foot . . .I'm sorry.

I'm a nice person, I get along with everyone. My sister said that try not to stir the pot because we want them to treat our mother nicely and the fact she wants to stay there.

So when I go in I chat with the LPN's and PCA's and ask them how they are, then it makes their job a little easier. I've helped them on certains days, once when the medic's showed up and they couldnt find a nurse and so I took them to where the pt was and the medic says to me, do you have his file and I said wait I'll go get it, insted I found the nurse and said the medics are here and they need the pt's info.

She said to me thankyou for helping her, they were short staffed that day, guess it's everywhere (short staffed).

I want to change the world and make it a better place, for you and for me and the entire

human race. Michael Jackson

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.