Drinking D50

Why would anyone give D50 orally is my point............. rub monogel buccally and it will absorb time release is slow but safe or if he can shallow which it shows he can let him have the tube and repeat times 3..............................but gluagon is guick and fast.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glucagon is not a quick fix, and for the conscious patient able to maintain their own airway providing something with nutritional value beyond sugar is a better method.

Many ALS services do not carry the glutose gel, but all have D50. Using the resources that are available means you might have to improvise a bit. Ideally, there would be some food to supplement the sugar.

I'm still pushing for the pizza thing cause I don't know about you guys but there are many days I don't get to eat when I'm working and it would be great to share a slice with my diabetic patient. :sign4: :occasion5: Damn! No pizza! Guess it's Spam and beers then.

New protocol: All rigs must carry pizzas and pizza maker by order of Med Control.

Glucagon u see results 5-7 mins..............they stop snorring seems quick to me :? but last Fri went with D50 IVP < 1 MIN he's up oh gave 100mg thamine for malnurished.......... SO AS AN INSTRUCTOR are u recomending the D50 shooter? I now pushing it is a job itself, can't imagine drinking it :tongue9:

All I can say if u use the shooter and the pt's airway somehow becomes compermised get ready because Mr. :ky: is your friend and u won't see :downtown: or :drunken: for awhile.

Glucagon u see results 5-7 mins..............they stop snorring seems quick to me :? but last Fri went with D50 IVP < 1 MIN he's up oh gave 100mg thamine for malnurished.......... SO AS AN INSTRUCTOR are u recomending the D50 shooter? I now pushing it is a job itself, can't imagine drinking it :tongue9:

All I can say if u use the shooter and the pt's airway somehow becomes compermised get ready because Mr. :ky: is your friend and u won't see :downtown: or :drunken: for awhile.

Why stick your pt with a needle when you can get the same job done with something oral?

Please. See this translation of the above post. I belive it is accurate:

With Glucagon it is possible to see results in five to seven minutes. Their airway becomes patent rapidly. Last Friday we used D50 IVP and in under 60 seconds he was conscious. We did end up giving him 100mg of thiamine for malnourishment though.

As an instructor are you recommending the oral route for D50? I know pushing it is hard work, I can not imagine how hard it would be to drink.

My thought is if you give it orally, and the patient loses his airway due to it, you will be in Federal Pound Me In The Ass Prison for a few years.

This patient was already conscious, with the ability to protect their own airway, and the suggestion to treat a hypoglycemic event was made.

There is no reason to use Glucagon, or start an IV. This patient, from all appearances of the scenario presented, is able to eat something without causing their airway to become occluded.

READ the scenario. It is evident that this patient does not absolutely need IV anything, much less an IM medication. Yes, for this patient, in this scenario, I would suggest using oral D50. Even better would be to find some FOOD.

The service I work for has the standing order for D50 PO. I agree it does not taste well and other sources of higher concentrated carbohydrates should be consindered. I personally have give D50 PO many times with good results. It normally requires 2 amps (50 Grams) and onset of action is relatively slower in relation to given IV. I have D50 in my bag and I am not ready to give up my lunch.

i have seen this done once before. medic couldnt not establish an IV. told the pt to drink the D50. no idea why he didnt administer glucagon.... this was a few years ago, and i didnt know any better. but apparently it worked. should have asked how it tasted

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.