Hope this show doesn't become another 'Saved!'

Well I think it will be interesting to see how they do it..... and i was bummed that they canceled saved! i thought the show was funny, and even though alot of the real medic stuff was off... or well completely wrong, I liked the characters. I also liked it because they were directly picking on AMR. "NMR" who were they kidding... And PS has anyone ever read "Paramedic" or "Rescue 471" by Peter Canning?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just Entertainment. Look what Emergency! did for EMS..? JEMS recorded tens of thousands of people who brought EMS from the doorstep of the funeral home to what it is today, because E! inspired them. They made so many non-realistic mistakes, it was almost a joke. Only stupid people get a personal education from a sitcom, learn CPR by watching TV. Sure, they get a general idea.. But unless it's a sim doll, it's going to be the wrong idea. Bending the arms, etc.. Especially Dr. Bracket's version of CPR. I don't mind some EMS entertainment, lord knows I detest all these crime drama shows that are flooding the time slots... Saved! was entertaining. They screwed up during the pilot, they got better advisors, and made the show more entertaining. However, the critics say they jumped the shark with that cliff hanger season finale.. So it was cancelled. That sucks.. At least a show to break the cliff hanger? I'd like to see an EMS reality show too. Thats only my opinion, you don't have to like it.. But it doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other. Won't affect how I do my job.

It's just Entertainment. Look what Emergency! did for EMS..? JEMS recorded tens of thousands of people who brought EMS from the doorstep of the funeral home to what it is today, because E! inspired them. They made so many non-realistic mistakes, it was almost a joke. Only stupid people get a personal education from a sitcom, learn CPR by watching TV. Sure, they get a general idea.. But unless it's a sim doll, it's going to be the wrong idea. Bending the arms, etc.. Especially Dr. Bracket's version of CPR.

Actually, what you don't understand most of the care they provided or standards was those standards at that time. CPR has changed at least 25 times since the filming of Emergency, also " IV D5W" was a common therapy until the late 80's. As well, you might not realize JEMS founder was the consultant for Emergency. James Page (hint J. Gage)

The problem I had was not so much the standard of medical care but the unprofessionalism it portrayed. Wearing a t-shirt in every episode when every one else had to wear a uniform.. C'mon. Could had been a Dr., but settled to be a Paramedic.. Surely, there are enough script writers out there that can get things right. That is why some last and some don't..

R/r 911

Any medic who is so eat up with wankerism that he looks forward to EMS "entertainment" is not long for this profession. Entertainment is a way to escape from everyday reality, not to further immerse yourself into the EMS "lifestyle." In fact, those who are truly in the profession -- as opposed to volunteers and wannabes -- are much less likely to have any interest in these shows than the general population.

Emergency! did indeed have a seminal impact on the profession we know today. But you can only have one seminal event. Everything after that is just show business. The inspiration behind crap like "Saved" is far, far different from what inspired Bob Cinader and Jim Page. And it shows.

And yeah... as Rid said, if you think that Emergency! was chock full of mistakes, you haven't done your homework. Silly and melodramatic? Sure. Inaccurate? Nope.

I now show my age, again, because I remember an episode of "Emergency!" where one old man broke the other old man's ribs doing a way incorrect precordial thump. This geezer was so proud of himself, until the guy who at least was having an MI called him over to whisper something into his ear, and cold cocked him in the face!

Funny, how people look at me wen I convert with a PCT, while these newbies are trying to charge up the paddles..... :lol:

LMAO! You noticed that, eh?

Last time I gave a PCT, everybody in the room looked at me like I was a space alien! It took me awhile to figure out why. :lol:

LMAO! You noticed that, eh?

Last time I gave a PCT, everybody in the room looked at me like I was a space alien! It took me awhile to figure out why. :lol:

....your just THAT funny looking.

Real time EMS show?

0:01 - Sleeping

0:02 - Sleeping

0:03 - Sleeping

0:04 - Sleeping

0:05 - Sleeping

0:06 - Roll to opposite side, cough

0:07 - Sleeping

0:08 - Sleeping

0:09 - Sleeping, onset light snore

Ill be impressed if it lasts longer than Saved!

PRPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.