Hope this show doesn't become another 'Saved!'

The paramedic show, titled "The Call," has been given a formal green light.

"The Call," follows a group of L.A. paramedics, with each episode taking place in real time.

The "24" team -- creators Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran and executive producer Howard Gordon -- are teaming up with "Kitchen Confidential" creator David Hemingson for the show. ABC outbid FOX for the show by offering a six-episode commitment, the showbiz trade papers report.

Hemingson, who currently works on FOX's "American Dad," will write the script and executive produce with Cochran, Gordon and Surnow, who initially came up with the idea for the show. Hemingson tells the trades he's aiming for the gallows humor of "M*A*S*H" in depicting the way the two leads deal with their high-stress jobs.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mee-s thinks your right. It sounds like Cops meets Ems meets Scrubs

The paramedic show, titled "The Call," has been given a formal green light.

"The Call," follows a group of L.A. paramedics, with each episode taking place in real time.

The "24" team -- creators Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran and executive producer Howard Gordon -- are teaming up with "Kitchen Confidential" creator David Hemingson for the show. ABC outbid FOX for the show by offering a six-episode commitment, the showbiz trade papers report.

Hemingson, who currently works on FOX's "American Dad," will write the script and executive produce with Cochran, Gordon and Surnow, who initially came up with the idea for the show. Hemingson tells the trades he's aiming for the gallows humor of "M*A*S*H" in depicting the way the two leads deal with their high-stress jobs.

Saved is a medical drama television series, which aired on TNT. Created by David Manson, Saved tells the story of Wyatt Cole, a Portland, Oregon paramedic with a rough past and a history of compulsive gambling. The series follows the ups and downs of Cole's life, from the adrenaline rush he gets from his busy 24-hour shift to the chaotic personal decisions he makes.
Source wikipedia.

:shock: :shock: :shock: They show this on natinal TV!! Poor Cole! :?

This is about the only paramedic show (I know of) in Australia. http://www20.sbs.com.au/help

You can even view a lill bit...

Real time?? :shock:

This should be interesting, if not excruciatingly boring. With real time, the one "call" of the day would be the sole focus of each episode, without any opportunity to develop the characters. No character development = no long term public interest. It's going to flop.

To drag a "call" (I hate that term) out for an hour, they're going to have to do one of several really bad things. They could make every "call" a stay-and-play run where the idiots dick around on the scene forever, doing a lot of inappropriate stuff. They could spend a lot of time in a full-to-capacity ER, waiting half the show for the nurses to accept the patient (that would be realistic, but boring!). Or, more likely, every "call" will be the stereotypical, overly dramatic busload of haemophiliacs overturned at the bottom of a canyon and on fire, so the really sexy stuff (you know, all that stuff the firemonkeys do, not the medics) can take up half of the episode. I'm sure every other episode they will throw in the obligatory "tactical medic" scenario that actually occurs about once a year nationwide. I can't think of any other way to make one "call" last an hour without putting the entire audience asleep. Hell, I have a hard time staying awake on "calls" when I am the one on them! I can't imagine watching that crap for an hour. :roll:

Ditto... They would not probably enjoy seeing me having to yell at a hard of hearing old lady, "When was the last time you had a bowel movement!..?".... There is only so much one can do in an hour, as well as repetitious movements and treatments. Even codes are boring...

R/r 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.