I am NOT an EMT

bbbrammer

I wouldnt be buffing (whatever that means) any call the FDNY or NYPD is on. That sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Why do you use scanner? I dont get the mindset of anyone who is never off duty. I can promise you that EMS will go on with out you. I know this is a let down to some of you but calls will still come and other people will get to drive with lights and siren besides you.

Somedic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably goes back to the many times covered subject of the "Legal" versus "Moral" "Duty To Act" question. I guess I've always had the Moral Duty To Act kind of deeply installed into my mindset, while others put on the blinders the instant they take off the uniform, or log out at the end of their tour.

It will always be up to any individual which way they feel, and that will guide them.

[marq=left:b005e42f33]A REQUEST: LET US NOT TURN THIS STRING INTO ANOTHER DISCUSSION OF "LEGAL/MORAL DUTY TO ACT"! IT IS ALREADY COVERED IN MULTIPLE OTHER STRINGS.[/marq:b005e42f33]

I dont find the need for EMS to totally permeate my off duty life and why would anyone listen to a EMS radio when they are off duty?

Somedic

The trouble is I am not off duty. To balence out the 96hrs straight that I work, I am allowed to go home when on duty instead of staying in the miniscule bunkroom all day and night. My husband doesn't complain about the radio mostly because he has to put up with it to have me at home. Fair enough trade off. As for being off-duty? That is three days a week. The reason I do monitor the radio on my days off is I am a Paramedic in an extremely rural BLS system, and when I am off it is a double basic truck. I am the only ALS provider around. So when the call comes out for the 4yr old who is choking, I go because the basics can't scope the pt and I can if needed. We are a minimum of 30mi/30min from the nearest hosp. at 90mi/hr. There are a lot of people who would die before they got there without certain ALS interventions. THAT is why I often monitor the radio on my days off.

JPINFV: Thank you for correcting the spelling of HIPAA. I never could spell very well. And it isn't like I am saying this is the hardest job in the world for S/O to deal with. I am just giving them credit. Lighten up. Yes you run into disease and long hours everywhere. But Secerataries, Lawyers, Phone Operaters all have less opportunity than we do to bring home the flu, Hepatitis, AIDS, TB, and many other things. That is all I was pointing out.

ASYSIN2LEADS: Actually, around here, if I give anymore details than CP/O2/IV, my husband will know who I am talking about. He hears the radio and the directions, and we know almost everyone around here. So I can't actually say anything because he WILL know who I am talking about. Small town/rural, you know how it goes.

A moral duty to act if fine in certain circumstances. IE: Your driving home and come across an MVC (not a fender bender) with injuries, if you want to stop and give aid until the responders get there that's good. But scanning and going to calls is illegal, you are off-duty ( IE not being dispatched). Also following fire trucks and cruisers is not right, they are trained to deal with this stuff too. Unless you have a fully stocked ambulance what are you going to do that they can;t ?

JCicco: You are on target!

bbbramer: Sounds like you are being taken advantage of by your department. I hope you get paid to come back in and save your emts from doing something stupid. I hope your department makes you feel important. You will get tired of this arrangement soon if you have not already. Your husband may be playing the "supportive husband" act but he will get tired of the crap your depatment is putting you through. Good luck. Stay in touch

Somedic

The trouble is I am not off duty. To balence out the 96hrs straight that I work, I am allowed to go home when on duty instead of staying in the miniscule bunkroom all day and night. My husband doesn't complain about the radio mostly because he has to put up with it to have me at home. Fair enough trade off. As for being off-duty? That is three days a week. The reason I do monitor the radio on my days off is I am a Paramedic in an extremely rural BLS system, and when I am off it is a double basic truck. I am the only ALS provider around. So when the call comes out for the 4yr old who is choking, I go because the basics can't scope the pt and I can if needed. We are a minimum of 30mi/30min from the nearest hosp. at 90mi/hr. There are a lot of people who would die before they got there without certain ALS interventions. THAT is why I often monitor the radio on my days off.

JPINFV: Thank you for correcting the spelling of HIPAA. I never could spell very well. And it isn't like I am saying this is the hardest job in the world for S/O to deal with. I am just giving them credit. Lighten up. Yes you run into disease and long hours everywhere. But Secerataries, Lawyers, Phone Operaters all have less opportunity than we do to bring home the flu, Hepatitis, AIDS, TB, and many other things. That is all I was pointing out.

ASYSIN2LEADS: Actually, around here, if I give anymore details than CP/O2/IV, my husband will know who I am talking about. He hears the radio and the directions, and we know almost everyone around here. So I can't actually say anything because he WILL know who I am talking about. Small town/rural, you know how it goes.

Bbbrammer, while I am much more sympathetic to your plight than to what most people usually present as the stresses of the job, as someone said before, you are to a certain extent letting your department take advantage of you at the expense of your loved ones. 96 hours a week is pretty excessive, if they can't find another ALS provider to employ, then they'll have less ALS coverage, its as simple as that. No one ever asked you to save the world. Its not your duty to destroy your life for the sake of the community. As for not telling your husband about your calls, again, I say screw HIPAA. If you need to vent about a call, do it, if your husband can learn to keep his mouth shut I doubt the feds have your house bugged to make sure you don't violate any laws.

You have such dedication to your job because you'd feel awful if something happened and you weren't there. It's an unfair position to be in, and its one you need to get out of before it really destroys your life. This is my humble advice, take it for what you will.

At least you have the strain on your relationship for apparently true altruistic feelings. As I said before, most people who complain about the stress of the job are really complaining about the stress that their own egos and selfishness cause on their lives.

If that is the case then your system needs to get more ALS and by always being on standby for them I don't think you're encouraging them to make any changes. I hope you get paid well for calls to need to take on your days off.

Oh, and thank you for saving everyone.

Did someone change this thread to "Anal Stuff"? :?

Thank you. Someone else who realizes where all this is going.

Everyone else is missing the point. But don't worry, I am sure that you all will figure out the point of things before you die from the seriousness.

I'm done with this thread. :banghead:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.