Paramedic Shortages......Paying For It?

pmedic623

As I've said before, the whole notion of having to "prove yourself" at an EMT-B or EMT-I level is utter bullshit. No one asks a nurse to prove themself at any level lower than their own. Some of us don't feel like spending 10 years of our life putting on band-aids before being allowed to move on. EMS needs to get over itself already.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is of another EMS forum debating the same problem, I wish I could say it was my words..but infortunately can't.......

"Here is a tidbit for y'all to keep in mind.

Whenever you say, "I can do everything that a blank_____ (Intermediate, Paramedic, RN, MD, etc) can except for (or but)" basically you are saying you are something that you are not.

It is a disclaimer in an attempt to garner credibility and respect. If you want to be the something you are trying to equal yourself to, then go to school. Otherwise, don't try to convince the rest of the world that you are something that you are not.

For example, if you are an EMT-I or EMT-CC or whatever, that can utilize 90% of the skillset of a Paramedic with only 50% of the education, who would you rather have treat you or your family?

You can train any lay person to start an I.V, intubate, decompress a chest or give any plethora of medications (training) versus teaching that person the who, what, where, when, why and how to come to the decision to do it (education).

These are examples of why EMS is at the crossroads that it is"......

R/r 911

This is of another EMS forum debating the same problem, I wish I could say it was my words..but infortunately can't.......

"Here is a tidbit for y'all to keep in mind.

Whenever you say, "I can do everything that a blank_____ (Intermediate, Paramedic, RN, MD, etc) can except for (or but)" basically you are saying you are something that you are not.

It is a disclaimer in an attempt to garner credibility and respect. If you want to be the something you are trying to equal yourself to, then go to school. Otherwise, don't try to convince the rest of the world that you are something that you are not.

For example, if you are an EMT-I or EMT-CC or whatever, that can utilize 90% of the skillset of a Paramedic with only 50% of the education, who would you rather have treat you or your family?

You can train any lay person to start an I.V, intubate, decompress a chest or give any plethora of medications (training) versus teaching that person the who, what, where, when, why and how to come to the decision to do it (education).

These are examples of why EMS is at the crossroads that it is"......

R/r 911

What a amazing way of saying it. =D> I wish I had said it as well Rid. But I digress...........

Excellent point!!!

Then it's no new revelation that the recognition of medics as medical professionals is still quite a ways off. That is at least; in the eyes of the medical community.

I guess I had better get used to those annual 2% raises and non recognition, because the attrition of ill educated medics could take decades.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny you're in Missouri. I'm in southwestern Missouri and I can't buy a job as a paramedic. I'm lucky to get 20 hours a week. My area is far from short. Pretty soon I'll be asking people if they want fries with their burger just to pay my electric bill.
Want work?Manhattan has work 80 hr 110 hrs.You can make up to $150,00-to $200,000.It's the busiest 911 system in the world.10 to 20 calls a night some times.

Magic, the day I may 100,000 doing what I do well I'll be sure to let everyone know. A senior medic may be able to pull a little over $60,000 a year with over time, but thats it. I'm not sure who you are talking to but they are pulling your leg. I'll probaly clear a little over $50,000 this year with some retro pay and OT, and thats with a $1150 a month rent bill and a $70 a month electric bill.

Want work?Manhattan has work 80 hr 110 hrs.You can make up to $150,00-to $200,000.It's the busiest 911 system in the world.10 to 20 calls a night some times.

Urban myth.. just check JEMS general pay scale, no matter where you work at most are still middle to lower income level according to cost of living. For a $150-200,000 a year I know Board Certified ER Doc's that would be applying.

R/r 911

Yeah, and of course, federal and NY state taxes would eat over half of that, making it not even worth it. I'd rather work less, stay in the lower tax bracket, and take the same amount home every month, myself.

I know RNs in Texas making $100k, but they are working 80 hour weeks too. Screw that. Even in a no-income tax state like Texas.

It really isn't that bad if you are single, have no social life and like the people you work with, but that never happens all at once.

Welcome to my personal hell!

:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.