Paramedic Shortages......Paying For It?

pmedic623

Of course this never ending problem has a million reasons for why we are short but the question is what does your employer do in cases of shortages. In my case I already work 2 fulltime jobs and when my alpha pager goes off about another open shift I am usually at my other job or visa versa. My hospital based service has resorted to playing "lets make a deal" and payed me overtime an entire shift last week if I came in on my day off and they covered my reg scheduled shift at the end of the week (basically win/win for me) They have also had crisis pay implemented $30 per hour and I have taken advantage of this many times. Our market is flooded with EMT-B's and often times they are forced to run a BLS unit if another paramedic cannot be found for our multiple ALS units. Just interested in how it's faring for others and how your employers are compensating.........623

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I might need to go work in MO, sounds good to me.

In FL, for the most part we have an overabundance of paramedics. Yet there is still a "shortage" because the IAFF has been sucessful in convincing everyone that we all need to be medics.

It is normal on any call in or around Orlando to have 5 medics on scene. Quite the amusing site, as there is usually a race to get something done just so you have the opportunity to practice. Too many medics is not a good thing either. Its hard to find the right balance but it is out there...somewhere.

We have a $1/hr differental pay if you are scheduled for 4 12 hour shifts a week or more. If you work 3 shifts or more a week, then you also get a $50 shift pickup bonus for select shifts (several a day at normal start times anyways if you are on the insurance to drive). Every so often (company motto: Don't like a policy, then wait a week and it'll change) people are allowed to work back to back shifts. The second 12 hours is straight double time.

We also have a recruitment program where you can get raises and bonsuses for recruiting people.

Funny you're in Missouri. I'm in southwestern Missouri and I can't buy a job as a paramedic. I'm lucky to get 20 hours a week. My area is far from short. Pretty soon I'll be asking people if they want fries with their burger just to pay my electric bill.

Damn, I might need to go work in MO, sounds good to me.

In FL, for the most part we have an overabundance of paramedics. Yet there is still a "shortage" because the IAFF has been sucessful in convincing everyone that we all need to be medics.

It is normal on any call in or around Orlando to have 5 medics on scene. Quite the amusing site, as there is usually a race to get something done just so you have the opportunity to practice. Too many medics is not a good thing either. Its hard to find the right balance but it is out there...somewhere.

Well put Ak...spin off post expanding on this.

Of course this never ending problem has a million reasons for why we are short but the question is what does your employer do in cases of shortages. In my case I already work 2 fulltime jobs and when my alpha pager goes off about another open shift I am usually at my other job or visa versa. My hospital based service has resorted to playing "lets make a deal" and payed me overtime an entire shift last week if I came in on my day off and they covered my reg scheduled shift at the end of the week (basically win/win for me) They have also had crisis pay implemented $30 per hour and I have taken advantage of this many times. Our market is flooded with EMT-B's and often times they are forced to run a BLS unit if another paramedic cannot be found for our multiple ALS units. Just interested in how it's faring for others and how your employers are compensating.........623

I'd have to say you answered your own question.

It is not that we have a shortage of Paramedics, in fact quite the opposite. But, rather no one wants to hire the Paramedic applicants.. we keep cranking them out.. and no one wants them due to poor knowledge and poor work ethics. So all the older pre-existing gets the jobs and they rather hire part time instead of full time.

R/r 911

It is not that we have a shortage of Paramedics, in fact quite the opposite. But, rather no one wants to hire the Paramedic applicants.. we keep cranking them out.. and no one wants them due to poor knowledge and poor work ethics. So all the older pre-existing gets the jobs and they rather hire part time instead of full time.

R/r 911

Scary thought from when the older people leave.

PRPG

I can tell you what good ole Kansas decided to do to help out the shortage. Someone in their infinite wisdom decided "We have a Paramedic Shortage, I know how to solve that! We will increase the length of their schooling and make them obtain their associate degrees while their at it!"

Still doesn't make any sense to me, but hey. I"m all for educated Paramedics, however what Kansas did further complicated the Paramedic Shortage. So I find it funny when I hear people in Kansas who are on the board of EMS or other high up positions complain about a Paramedic shortage, when they caused it. Like I said, I like the idea of Associate Degree Paramedics, you can never have to much education, however it doesn't compute when their is a supposed shortage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.