Paramedic Shortages......Paying For It?

pmedic623

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the insurance industry involved. You know why fire protection standards are so high? The insurance companies. You know why insurance rates are astronomical in towns with crap/volunteer fire departments? The insurance companies. If you're a firemonkey, you know what the "Key Rate" is. If we could create such a concept in EMS, it would go a long ways towards upping the educational ante.

Right now, a city like Dallas can boast about its all-ALS, all-paramedic EMS system and it sounds great to the average person, no matter that their medics are, for the most part, horrible products of a 90-day wonder school. If an organisation like the insurance industry set up nationwide levels of standards to be met, suddenly Dallas doesn't look so good anymore when their homeowner, auto, and health insurance rates go up (not that Dallas auto insurance rates could go much higher!).

Anyhow, simple concept. Communities that step up and provide 21st century level, professional EMS are rewarded. Communities that think that parks and libraries are more important than health and safety bite the big one. Thus, the bar is raised and communities voluntarily rise to meet it without federal mandate.

As well if we had true industry monitors like JCAHO certifications that made industry reimbursement easier, and apply and required "true" education requirements then we will things processed through. As long as Medicare and organizations like American Ambulance Association (AAA) does not require it... and administrators do not have to pay for it.. why should it change ?

R/r 911

Exactly! Very same concept. An outside agency with a stake in quality control sets up voluntary standards and those who meet those standards are rewarded. Nobody is forced to comply. But those who do not comply suffer greviously, and their reputation is crap to the general public and the industry as a whole.

No longer would it be acceptable to simply have ambulances or paramedics. Quantification gives way to qualification, and the profession and industry grows.

Qualification in many cases is just an illusion. Our service has many old school medics. They do not have associates degrees and didn't spend 600 hours in clinical rotations, yet they are some of the best medics around.

Now take some of those kids that the college is throwing into the market. Sure Sure they know all of the fancy cr@p from the books and all of the statistics, but when it comes to common sense in the back of the ambulance... They don't know cr@p!

Of course this opinion does not reflect upon all of the medics with associates degrees. There are some fine medics coming out as well.

Don't get me wrong, the college does put out quality medics too, but I can't stand when the general public is pushed to focus on that illusion that these new medics are better than the old school medics.

I have the associates degree in EMS and I am in awe at the knowledge of some of the old school medics in our service.

Now take some of those kids that the college is throwing into the market. Sure Sure they know all of the fancy cr@p from the books and all of the statistics, but when it comes to common sense in the back of the ambulance... They don't know cr@p!

I don't understand your point.

It seems as if you are saying that, if they had gone to a 6 month school instead of a 2 year school, they would have common sense. That's sort of a non-sequitor.

You can't teach common sense. Not in 6 months. Not in 2 years. Not in 4 years. Losers are losers, regardless of their sheepskin.

"You can't teach common sense. Not in 6 months. Not in 2 years. Not in 4 years. Losers are losers, regardless of their sheepskin."

I guess I couldn't have said that better myself. Excellent point!

Now take that and remember back to when losers never had a chance to become a medic because years ago, in order to be a paramedic, you had to prove yourself as Basic for a period of time before getting into an intermediate program, then you had to prove yourself as an intermediate for a period of time before a service chief would either pay for or allow you into the program that was usually put on by the local service or fire department.

Now a good reputation and proof that you are not a loser is no longer a prerequisite for enrollment into a college based paramedic program.

Well, I do agree that there seem to be more losers on the streets today than in earlier years. But I pretty much attribute that to the current generation being slackers.

And to me being a cranky old fart.

But I don't think the old system you cite made any real difference. Those who will be run off, will be run off. The only difference then was that they were run off before they wasted their money on paramedic school. The ultimate success rates don't appear to be any different.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.