Paramedic Shortages......Paying For It?

pmedic623

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everyone on the education thing like I said. It just doesn't jive with helping out a Paramedic shortage. It will produce better quality Paramedics in the long run though. Rid you're right, about another semester, only I'd venture to say give it 2 semesters since it's an additional 17-18 credit hours in Kansas for an Associates on top of the Paramedic school. The only correction I would make to Racemedic is that the AAS has probably slowed down some people from coming to KS without AAS just by the conotation that KS wants AAS. However KS still accepts National Registry Paramedics and does not require an AAS. What the board passed was legislation that stated any Paramedic school in KS had to produce AAS Paramedics. So if any Paramedics are out there wanting to come to Kansas, (I wouldn't know why) you can still come as long as you have your National Registry.

Thats wrong information. Yes KS does still recognize the NREMT-P however if you are not KS certified and are coming from an out of state training you have to have a degree and have to go through what they are calling "legal recognition" goto KSBEMS.org to see for sure but you can not just cross lines with an NR card any more. Basically it would be easier to have the degree coming in to the state. This statute has been on the books for a couple of yrs and they have not been enforcing it until recently. and also make sure that your program is accredited. they will research you program and if it does not meet or exceed KS standards you will not get the KS cert.

I agree with everyone on the education thing like I said. It just doesn't jive with helping out a Paramedic shortage.

Of course it does! Kansas is obviously serious enough about solving their shortage that they decided to address the problem with a long-term solution instead of a short-term Band-Aid on the proverbial neck bleed.

Can you honestly not see how turning a job into a profession, with professional status and professional money, helps to both attract more people to the field, and to keep them there? And can you not see how that helps solve the shortage?

There are two problems; first, not enough people want to do this crap job for crap wages. Second, not enough people who choose to do it are stupid enough to stay with it for a career. The result is a shortage.

Kansas just solved their problem. It will take years for it to come to full fruition, but when it does, it will be one of the only states who have solved it.

Thats wrong information. Yes KS does still recognize the NREMT-P however if you are not KS certified and are coming from an out of state training you have to have a degree and have to go through what they are calling "legal recognition" goto KSBEMS.org to see for sure but you can not just cross lines with an NR card any more. Basically it would be easier to have the degree coming in to the state. This statute has been on the books for a couple of yrs and they have not been enforcing it until recently. and also make sure that your program is accredited. they will research you program and if it does not meet or exceed KS standards you will not get the KS cert.
I do not believe that is accurate. I have a call in to KSBEMS (Left a message) to find out for sure. However according to the KSBEMS website this is what is required for getting reciprocity through Kansas. Your program DOES have to be accredited by CAAHEP, like you said. You also have to have your National Registry and it also has to meet all the requirements listed on the link below. It doesn't include a degree. However, I'll let you know when KSBEMS get's back with me for sure on the degree thing, if I"m wrong I"ll freely admit it. At this point I'm doing this for my own information and like I said I'll let you know for sure.

http://www.ksbems.org/Legal_recognition_ALS.pdf

Hey Racemedic, I just got off the phone with Chrystine (odd spelling) at the Board of EMS. She informed me that they do not require someone from out of state to have or get their associates. You have to have National Registry and have your original course instructor fill out the form I linked to on the previous post. The programs have to be compatible and if they are not it would require Continuing Education through Kansas until you satisfied their requirements, however they would grant you a temporary license for 1 year to satisfy all their requirements. On a side note. As of January 1st, you probably already knew Kansas is doing away with National Registry for all levels other than Paramedic, she stated they have not finalized if they would make a Paramedic from another state take the NEW Kansas practical test. So interesting information, and it doesn't seem like Kansas even knows what they are doing yet. Just thought I"d let you know.

Of course it does! Kansas is obviously serious enough about solving their shortage that they decided to address the problem with a long-term solution instead of a short-term Band-Aid on the proverbial neck bleed.

Can you honestly not see how turning a job into a profession, with professional status and professional money, helps to both attract more people to the field, and to keep them there? And can you not see how that helps solve the shortage?

There are two problems; first, not enough people want to do this crap job for crap wages. Second, not enough people who choose to do it are stupid enough to stay with it for a career. The result is a shortage.

Kansas just solved their problem. It will take years for it to come to full fruition, but when it does, it will be one of the only states who have solved it.

While I agree with you I have to make one small statement.

Professional money will not be there until something can be done about re-embursement rates. It's hard to justify paying Paramedics professional wages when at best on an ALS 1 run your service will be paid less than $400.00 on the base rate. Sometimes much less btw in different areas of the country.

Wages can not continue to climb, along with insurance, legal expenses, fuel cost, etc., etc. until there is some form of increase in funding.

BTW, the above does not just apply to private services. This also includes municipal, non-for profits, etc. as well.

While I agree with you I have to make one small statement.

Professional money will not be there until something can be done about re-embursement rates. It's hard to justify paying Paramedics professional wages when at best on an ALS 1 run your service will be paid less than $400.00 on the base rate. Sometimes much less btw in different areas of the country.

Wages can not continue to climb, along with insurance, legal expenses, fuel cost, etc., etc. until there is some form of increase in funding.

BTW, the above does not just apply to private services. This also includes municipal, non-for profits, etc. as well.

Hence, the double edge sided sword... we will not receive an increase in reimbursement until we have an educational level that can demand it. Medicare and other insurance company does not feel that they should pay for a "taxi" ride. Okay, you have an individual that started an IV and placed them onto a stretcher.. and they want $400 ?.. We have to justify why, and as well demonstrate our knowledge by better assessment and medical knowledge, better documentation skills and basically lobby for better reimbursement. Then again, I am sure Medicare may feel .."why should they have to pay for it, when they can get it for free at many places?"....

Whenever, we are accepted by others professionals then we might be paid as such...

R/r 911

Federal Law:

Commerce Clause method: EMS operates on the interstate highway system -> Interstate highway system is involved with interstate trade -> EMS can be regulated by the federal government.

Power of the Purse (AKA the reason why drinking age is 21) method: Paramedics must have a degree or no federal highway funds for you.

Good luck trying to get it to pass congress though.

Congress nothing. Try getting past current department administrators. The moans of "we don't have enough EMT's for our volunteer service" will get really loud.

Remember, these are the same people that didn't want to expand the scope of providers a few years ago, and let the NSOP die on the vine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.