Who Else

Without getting into the whole canada vs US education thing... Here in NS BLS providers routinely perform 12 leads in the field. While they cannot give any meds for cardiac ischemia except ASA and NTG it has been proven that pre-hospital 12 leads even performed by BLS providers can decrease door to drug time for patients experiencing STEMIs. We also fax the 12 leads and do a reperfusion checklist prior to arrival in the ER.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the state of NH, EMT-B's can preform combitubes, 12 leads, glucose monitoring, advanced spinal assessment (clearing of c-spine), Mark 1 Kits, Trach. Maintnece, Asprin Adminstration. The theory behind the 12 leads is that EMT-B's are usually the first ones on scene then meet up wit a medic enroute. So we dont need to know wat the strip says, as long as we can put it on and print out a strip for the incomming medic. Now i agree wit u guys 100%, having a bls provider put on a 12 lead and not being able to read it, or treat it is dumb, but in retro spact, being on scene we are more likley to get the crappy rythems, hten on the weay to or in the hospital.

In the Central Shenandoah EMS Council in Virginia EMT-B's can hook up a 12 lead and transmit the reading to the hospital or read the machines interpretation and relay it to on line medical control. They are not allowed to treat the interpretation, they can only treat the patient with aspirin, O2, and request ALS en route for a chest pain patient. Im not sure if the rest of the state has the same protocols.

Jolly, you're not confusing endotracheal intubation with a combitube are you? I really have never in my life heard of anyone doing a "blind" intubation, or it being taught. Nasal, retrograde, even digital, sure, but blind I have never heard of. Fill me in here. I checked at the state of Vermont's EMS website, I found the usual skills under the EMT-B portion.

Asys, are you implying that those who are authorised to perform invasive medical manoeuvres should actually understand them?

Don't be absurd. :roll:

Minus 5 for a worthless topic name.

Minus 5 for posting ALS in the BLS forum.

Minus 5 for spelling.

Minus 5 for failure to read forum rules.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.