The Best Chief Complaint

millerjjr

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dispatched emergency to an Albertson's parking lot. Not too uncommon. While enroute, our MDT pop's up the call as "Car assaulted by baseball bat". So we think, 'Surely it's a person assaulted that was in the car'. No it wasn't and don't call me Surely. We arrive on scene to PD questioning us why we were called and upon further inspection, dispatch did not lie. The car itself was smashed with a baseball bat but no one in the car was injured at all.

For those of you that were wondering, oil pressure was normal, RPM's were slightly tachy, and color was a little rusty.

Was working in a metro region as a EMT-B, my partner was a medic, and recieved a code 2 call out into the county for a "unknown medical". It was about a 15 minute ride out there. We pull up to the address given, and here is a lady sitting on the porch of a house with a overnight bag next to her.

She called 9-1-1 because she had a hang nail on her big toe and wanted to go to the hospital, thinking she was going to be there over night.

20 minutes, a $600 BLS 9-1-1 bill, and a very long wait in the ER waiting room later, she got her wish.

Dispatched to a call for "patient salivating". O/A patient states she "swallowed" and is much better now. But for the rest of the month, whenever we had a patient c/o nausea, I would ask them if they had excessive salivation when nauseous, and then watch my partner trying not to laugh!!

I asked "Sir, Why did you call for an ambulance?"

He responded "Well, I was taking a nap and my dog woke me up licking my face, and he never done that bfor so I knew I must be dyin".

6month later I ran on this guy again, this time he really was having an MI!

Ya know, he might have really had something there. I've seen a couple articles about dogs being able to "read" diabetics and epileptics. It wouldn't totally surprise me to find out that a dog could detect something wrong for coronary events. Think of all the chemical changes and the sensitivity of a dog's nose.

Ya know, he might have really had something there. I've seen a couple articles about dogs being able to "read" diabetics and epileptics. It wouldn't totally surprise me to find out that a dog could detect something wrong for coronary events. Think of all the chemical changes and the sensitivity of a dog's nose.

I've even heard of animals that were able to sense when their owners were going to have a seizure.

Dispatched for a Cardiac Arrest at Nursing Home. On arrival we see pt sitting up with nasal canula on and looking out the window; nursing staff sitting in the corner looking at us with this look of what the hell are you guys doing here. I ask " what's the problem?" Pt is "short of breath", I ask when it started because he certainly didn't look in distress and she states, I just walked in and he said he was short of breath so I put a nasal on him and called you?....

...Approach patient, Pt is not only vital signs absent but he is cold, lividity and rigored....need I say more :roll:

Snakemedic

• 3 weeks later...

In the town I used 2 volly for, this certain patient used 2 call our ambulance so much, they now send PD out before sending out the ambulance to see if she really needs the ambulance or not. She then started using the private company I worked for, and they ended up refusing to take her as well cuz she abused the ambulance so much!! Here's one example of a call the volly squad took from her.

Dispatched out as a sick call. O/A, she's standing outside saying "I broke my first two cervical spine and I'm having a seizure. I need to go to the local trauma center!!" To show that she was having a seizure, she twitched her head a lil & was twitching her one arm like how u would mock a handicapped person (don't mean to be un-pc). Needless to say, she did not go to the local trauma center.......she went to the local hospital. Unfortunately for them.

I've also walked into the ER & seen her there screaming at the nurses that she wants certain prescriptions when she doesnt need them...::shakes head:: :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.