emt-b pay scale

Even Oprah ( no, I don't normally watch!) had made the comment the other day that nationally, most EMT's make the pay scale of poverty level. Then displayed an EMT that was crying about how she could not feed her child...and how little she was making.

That EMT on Oprah was so dissapointed with america because, and I quote "I save lives" and they didn't pay her enough.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That EMT on Oprah was so dissapointed with america because, and I quote "I save lives" and they didn't pay her enough.

LMAO!!! :D What a drama queen.

That should be required viewing by all applicants to EMT school.

i have 2 jobs because emt in west virginia get paid $6.25 where I live.I have been curious how much they make in other states if you dont mind telling.I know the cost of living can play a factor but cum on..medics make $7.50.we both deserve more for what we all do

Wow! That's pathetic, your right, you both deserve more for what you do! There's no way I could do this job for that amount of money, there should be a law that sets your pay minimum well above the rates you stated.

All i can say is if you pay peanuts you get monkeys

that is the trouble in the states... but then i will be the same here soon as the dickhead that runs the country (the prime minister John Howard) and his government has changed the labour laws here. ass holes.

at the moment i am looking at my last pay slip

my base hourly rate is 23.05 hr

I get a ALS allowance of 208.91 a fortnight

I get a on call aloowance of 113.80 a fortnight

I get a standby technical reacue alloance of 33.79 a fortnight (it will go to about 70 next week as i get the full allowance)

I get time and a half for the first 2 hrs of OT and then double time each hour after that

If i get a call out after hours i automatically get 4 hour OT irrespective of how long i am out. If the call last longer than 4 hours i get the actual time worked

i get 50% and 75% loading on weekend and night duties

and I get 150% for working public holidays

therefore my last time slip states that i had a gross pay for the two weeks as 3376.38 before tax.

I paid the tax of 1026.00 for the fortnight so my take home pay was $2350.38 for the fortnight just passed.

this year so far (July '05 to June '06) i have a year to date gross of $84024.03

With the difference in AUS to US dollars value makes it about 70K in your money with two months to go before the end of the year.

So i am looking at about 100k AUS this year.

the only difference is that a basic on the same year pay as me will not get the ALS or Rescue allowances.

stay safe

There's no way I could do this job for that amount of money, there should be a law that sets your pay minimum well above the rates you stated.

Yeah, that'll happen right after they pass a law requiring people to pay their ambulance bills. :lol:

Yeah, that'll happen right after they pass a law requiring people to pay their ambulance bills. :lol:

Which will be as soon as they require medics to have a degree and be able to read and write at least 10'th grade level... not holding my breath!

R/r 911

Which will be as soon as they require medics to have a degree and be able to read and write at least 10'th grade level... not holding my breath!

R/r 911

Yep another problem with the system in the states.

Here if you dont pass the entrance exams to become an emt you never will.

helps that it is a government monopoly i suppose

the exam they have is a apptitude test for entrance, reading, comprehension, maths, logistical thought, physical ability etc.

pass this then you get the interview....

it dont matter idf you have the "degree" in prehospital care or not, dont pass the test, NO JOB.

works well

stay safe

I work for a private company at a steel mill, we get around the 9.50 mark. Its at minimum 2 dollars more than the 911 services in Western PA get.

With the number of EMT's take into consideration the number of Paid FD's that want their people EMT, or for that fact, how many EMT's there are that don't work on ambulances. (Industrial response teams, Police, Search and Resuce, Park Rangers, ect.)

Anyhow its just my $.02.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.