Are you as fit as you think??

Are you as fit as you think?  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I am a ultramarathoner
    • Im not obese but I am not in shape either
    • No, I am a fat couch potato

I am starting to get back into shape... after I graduated from high school i kinda stopped exercising as much.. but now i am getting involved w/ the Spec Ops/TECH rescue stuff @ my squad and i am realizing i need to be in better shape... so i have started to work out again.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I got up this morning and Lordy I am SORE!! I know why Im sore, its becasue:

1. I am using muscles I have not used in eons

2. oxygen is getting to places it hasnt been in eons. The surrounding tissue is like WTF?? But the only way to get over this soreness and to keep from being sore in the future is to keep on excercising. If you sit around you are going be even more sore because the muscles will stiffen.

So heres what I plan on doing today now that I know where Im at fitness-wise:

Do intervals of jogging and walking. This will help the muscles loosen up while not providing a strenous workout that will put you flat on your butt.

Do some leg work that will help trim and tone the buttocks, hips and thighs. This usually includes the walking lunges, butt-kickers, and russian walk. I'll also throw in calf-raises to work the calves. Latters will be added for an agility work-out. Yes, you need to be agile in EMS because are going to get in those unforseen ditches and potholes, you'll need to find you balance quickly if your loaded with equipment and a pt.

And yes I'll do my 5 push-ups as well. Its sad I cant do more then 5, I've got puny arms, but in time they will be buff as they once were in the good old days.

Also, if you find yourself cramping and screaming in pain as though you are having an MI in your leg, eat a banana. Cramps are due to the lack of potassium in the tissues, and bananas have lots of it.

If anyone is dieting and they are successful please share your tips with the rest of us fat couch potatoes.

-Dixie

Working in EMS will definitely change the way you look. We joke about it and call it the EMS Spread! I tried to take a proactive approach after my Dad started making fun of me.

I purchased my own weight equipment and put it in the station. I work out a minimum of four days per week. I now have equipment at home for when I am not at work.

I even have a section in the DT4EMS course about physical fitness in EMS and give a sample workout routine.

You know since we are always able to lift only small people in perfect positions with perfect form. (It's not like we have to lift 350lb people out of Yugo's in a ditch) :lol:

Dixie,

I think I am going to take your lead and add some things to my program. Right now I walk for 1 hour 3 days a week on the treadmill at 4.0 mile an hour. (when the weather gets nicer I will walk outdoors)

I ride my horses at least once a week or more, I try to wear the dog out by playing with him but he usually lasts alot longer than I. I try to lift weights but usually don't get time or procrastinate :?

Thanks for the ideas!!!!!!!

Hey Dixie,

I hear ya. I used to be a swimmer and polo player, JO's and Nationals the whole shebang. Now as you can tell by my posts I'm a couch potato! I walk and run up and down the hills here at home....much to the screams of my legs! But I need that motivation that my coach used to drill into us. I must say its hard without that constant training, and I knew if I didn't show up for practice I'd be busted.

Plus the schedule at work doesn't help, on my 12 hrs I just get home and sleep then get up and go back to work, and on my days off I veg cause I can.

I've always had a strong upper body, I can beat you on the push ups Dix but I need to get my legs in shape, any suggestions, that won't leave me handicapped on the couch for days? :shock:

Ambo,

Your going to need for the muscles in your legs to get stretched out, thats part of the pain. But the pain usually lasts only 3-4 days IF you continue to work out, just dont puch yourself too hard on that 2nd day, the 3rd day your going to want Grannys walker. But if you stretch those muscles out and keep you legs moving you going to be able to walk with minimal pain.

Basically what Im doing right now for the soreness is stretching the muscles out and getting them conditioned. As well as taking pain relievers and keep moving as much as I can, even after the workout.

Now when you wake up in the mornings, thats where youre going to be the most sore. Start your day like this:

sit up in your bed with you legs out in front of you and touch your toes (no bending you knees, thats cheating!)

Now do a spread eagle and touch your toes again.

Nw touch your toes on your L foot, now your R foot.

Next, bring the soles of your feet together, like a butterfly, push down on you knees keeping you feet together

Now lay back down on your back and bring your R foot to your R hip. Do the same thing on your left side.

Now get up out of bed, but wait, there's a few more stretches to do before you take another step.

Feet together, bend over touch your toes again

Now cross you L foot over your R foot, touch your toes, reverse for the other foot.

While standing, grab onto a chair or your nightstand for balance, bring your R foot to your R hip again, same for the L side. This stretches a diff muscle group while standing from the one while sitting, feel it yet?

Now place your R foot on your nightstand, touch them toes! Same for L foot.

Now spread you feet wide, touch L toes, then R toes, down the middle

With feet still spread apart do a side ways lunge to your left, now you right.

Now do regular lunges for each side.

Now do the splits. :lol:

Do you feel better now? I bet you do. Now you can go off to enjoy your day as you normally do.

Also a key part to these stretches is that they must be done consistently. Some of these stretches will actually help your flexibility and balance. Also during the first week plan on doing the whole morning routine, then every couple of hours do couple more stretches to keep the legs limber and not as sore. The more you sit, the more they will stiffen up and be sore.

-Dixie

OMG!!! I NEED a training program....

The last Cardiac Arrest I worked, I thought I'd need the O2 by the time we got to the ER. I am soo out of shape. Its really pretty sad too... I just lost 50# and need to start exercising to build strength. Especially with some of the patients I have to deal with.... We have a 700# patient to transport tomorrow morning!!!!!

I can already hear my back and legs screaming :lol: :!: :!:

I definitely need to work out. Because I'm 5' 9" and about 145 lbs I look like I'm healthy because I'm fairly skinny but when I walk up a long set of stairs with bags on my shoulder I definitely get winded. It's hard to stay in shape when all your time is spent in classes or on duty. One of the things I do is I can take dance classes for credit and that definitely helps me get back into shape a bit. Once I graduate in May I'm planning on doing a lot more outdoor activities to get in better shape, especially because I want to be a firefighter and I need to work on my endurance. So I think my point here is that even if you're not overweight or have the "EMS-spread" you can still be out of shape, because I sure am!

Ok, Ive just returned from my little workout. Heres what I did today, though it seems like Ive only half-assed it today due the soreness still lingering.

I put my watch on a 15 min timer, then I would walk 1 minute for every 2 minutes of jogging, start out with your jogging and your intervals will come out perfect with the 15 mins. I also walked another half mile just to put miles on the old pedometer. It also helpes loosen the legs after the actual workout. I then did a 100 m sprint just to go out like a gun, also helps getting the muscles to explode that way when you need to boogie, you can boogie! I did another complete round of stretches and leg movements to keep them limber the rest of the day. I will go back out and do it again in 45 mins. The more you move the better you'll be for it.

Also did 200 crunches and did the 45 degree angle ab twists (3 sets of 15 will do) I also did a modified push-up. stand with you feet shoulder width apart, and put your hands on a rail or countertop, should be a 45 degree angle, now do 3 sets of 10 push-ups.

Then I went to a chair, sat on the edge of it and put my legs out at a 90 degree angle, do dips, 3 sets of 10. These work your triceps. Triceps help your biceps lift.

I also did box squats, 3 sets of 10. These help strengthen your legs. As you get better at these be sure toeither add reps or adds weights. Remember, you need to use your legs to lift, not your back!

Do lunges, at first they are going to hurt, but you'll be better and you'll feel better, your legs wont feel so tight and sore for a little while.

If anyone here knows how to work your biceps w/o weights let me know, because I want my biceps back!

Tomorrow my goal is to run the full length from the city ark to the school, about a 1/2 mile, then doing intervals back to the park.

During these first few weeks it is easy to build up mileage and endurance, but when you hit that plateau its time to turn it up a notch.

Also, if yo want to add fun to your workout I suggest playing fast paced music during your workout, I guarantee your going to be concentrating on the beats so much you are going to forget how tired you are. Also try dancing for an aerobic workout, dont worry about special moves, jsut dance and have fun!

-Dix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.