Are you as fit as you think??

Are you as fit as you think?  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I am a ultramarathoner
    • Im not obese but I am not in shape either
    • No, I am a fat couch potato

I'll tell you guys and gals what! I am definitely not in shape. I try to walk every day for 30 minutes. Then I have 5 children that I'm constantly running after, so that keeps me on my toes. I do some exercises with yoga with the Demand Services on my cable network. I most certainly would like to know what I need to do to tone,because that's what I really need. I am considered of having a high BMI for my age and I try to eat healthy and stay away from fried foods, but with all the rugrats who has time. :o:o:o

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I weighed almost 230 lbs after I was finished having kids. After separating from my husband I lost nearly 100 lbs and was in the best shape of my life. I was swimming and weightlifting 4-5 times per week. I kept up the pace for a while after meeting my boyfriend and then starting working part-time, going to school part-time, being a mom and a homemaker and fitness has definitely taken a back seat. Who am I kidding, I left it sitting by the curb months ago!! A couple of summers ago I was running a 10K race and suffered a stress fracture in my hip. Which I stupidly walked on for a month before finally going to the doc. I used to enjoy running on the treadmill and found it to be great cardio. Now it's just too hard on my hip and knees (which have been bad since running track and field in junior high). My thing for a while after healing from that fracture was swimming and aqua jogging. Frankly, I think it's the best exercise in the world. I keep telling myself to get off my arse and get to the pool but life with school, kids and ambulance practicum coming soon there just never seems to be enough time. Help!!!

I lift and I run. I have to sign up for triathlons, marathons, and road races to keep the artificial motivation on me to train. It's the only thing that works for me. And yes, it is really awesome (once you get that base level of fitness) to go run for an hour or two and just sweat out all your demons.

Speaking of which, I'm running the Lake Placid marathon in NY in June if anyone is going to be around. Anyone want to hook up for some beautiful weather and a nice jog?

-Tim :wink:

Ok, I dug this up from the boneyard and decided to bring it back up as I have not posted my progress for the last 6 days.

I spent 4 days on my butt, for some reason feeling rather sluggish. Could be my staph infection, but that story is explained in another thread.

Now what have I done for the last 2 days, well here it is.

I simply ran or attempted to run 1 mile. I did better yesterday than today. But also had taken my pills just before my run, it pretty much shut down my airway, I felt like there was a 100 lb weight on my chest, but I made it back ok. I need to find a way to get my lazy butt in gear. I simply had no go power today, but I did complete my mile nontheless.

I have also incorporated my daughter into the program, using her as a 25 lb free weight. Makes it more fun watching her have fun. I have not dropped her yet, but first time I do, she's no longer involved.

Also I have noticed my BP bottoming out again after my run. I havent completely passed out yet, but I have come close once or twice calling for help. If anyone here knows the possible reason and what solution there may be I'd be happy to comply.

And now for you guys, what have you been doing lately in your workouts?? Im just trying to keep the fitness group together.

-Dix

Interesting thread....however, I do think that you might consider adding a few more choices. I did my fitness testing today (ugh) and did okay but ended up almost killing myself. Words of wisdom, when you donate blood and they tell you not to do any strenuous exercise for 7-8 hours, trust them- they know best....and I love finding out things the hard way.

I am in decent shape- we've had to set up our own training programs including both cardio and weights and train for the last two years in my program.

I realize that this fit post has been out of routine at best, as has my workouts have been. But I only post on this to keep others motivated to keep staying fit or to give motivation to try to get fit. Not everybody has the same motivation that I do, so I dont push the subject on others. With that said I have stepped up my workouts a bit. I ran/walked/crawled a total of 4 miles today. I didnt think I could do it, but I wanted to give it try and guess what, I suprised myself by doing it. I also ran until my legs cramped up and I fell in a ditch in pain. As I laid there in agony, only one thought was going through my mind: GET UP GET UP YOU LAZY BONES! Finally after 5 mins, maybe not even that long, I was finally able to get back up, only to collapse again, oops. I became the little engine that could, and did get back up and started walking again, but at a fast pace. I was fine after that. After getting in my truck I cramp from head to toe, and a guy walked by and asked how I was and I said - Never felt better! and smiled to top it off. Total miles ran: 4 total miles walked: 2 Total miles crawled: .05 Im proud of myself, at least for the effort anyhow.

Pain is good, pain is the weaknesses escaping the body, or at least thats how my high school track coach put it. Now after sitting here typing this I will say this, I sprained my ankle stepping on the porch going back into the house. Go figure. :roll:

Does anyone here do standbys at sporting events? If you do, what is the most common injury you encounter?

Also, my EMT buddy has stated that their crew cheif is making them workout for 2 hours after they get off work to get fit. Does your company require you to work out, or to take a fitness test every so often??

Have fun and be safe out there.

-Dix

This is a great idea. The more fit you are, the better you handle the stress, and the better you sleep. I got off the habit back in September soon after completing a 12 day, 67 mile trek in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains.

Three weeks ago, on a warm day I went for a run and after the first half mile I kept hearing a dispatcher's voice in my head saying "49 yo male, difficulty breathing, you will find your pt stumbling down the road".

All of your posts serve as a good reminder and motivator for me. I'm gonna get back out there.

Thanks,

Tom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.