Was I wrong to open my mouth in this case??

nsmedic393:

What lesson are they learning if I get suspended? The lesson that if they cover their tracks well enough, they can get away with basically anything.

If I get suspended, it ain't no skin off their arse!! They're laughing all the way to the bank, because if I get suspended for a few days, it means extra shifts for them!!

Unless you're actually in my position, you have no idea how I feel......no idea whatsoever.

I'm actually become rather dis-gruntled over all of this, and the lack of compassion I feel from you. If anything, I thought that a fellow EHS medic in this forum would be on my side.

I hope to God you're never in the position I'm in now, and that you don't find someone else's mistake, they successfully cover it up, you get the blame, and you get suspended. I won't have any compassion for you either.

hfdff422:

This is exactly what I did in the beginning, when I thought it was completely my fault for not reporting the defib problem until the end of my shift. I went into my supervisor's office, asked to talk to him about it. Told him I was sorry for what happened, it was my mistake, I forgot. He said he was going to have to talk to our Regional Supervisor about it because it was now considered a "critical equipment failure", and my punishment was basically out of his hands.

It was only after I found out that the problem with the defib happened 4 days before my shift did I ask my supervisor to investigate, and try to find out why it wasn't written up at that time, or reported to him, and why I was taking all the blame.

Ever since then the "shit has hit the fan", so to speak. Because nobody else wants to take responsibility for their part. According to them, it's all my fault.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connie,

I have a sneaky suspicion that there may be more of us on this forum who think that you're trying too hard to share the blame than those who think you're right. In the end all that matters is that you are the one being disciplined (fair or not) and that the other crew members aren't admitting to anything. This is beginning to sound like whining. You've already admitted that you were in the wrong. You can ony control what you did or did not do, it is not your responsibility to try to control the actions of others. If the previous crews didn't report the problem, then tough on them, they have to sleep with the fact that they let you "hang" for the infraction.... I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around.

Don't be upset when your attempts to bolster support here fail. We've all been through similiar situations and have pushed on and moved forward. I'm really not a fan of the term "buck up".. but, I'm thinking that it's time that you move past this issue. We're a supportive bunch here, but enough is enough.. Buck Up!

Connie

I'm just telling you how it would go in my base. Perhaps you already don't have a good working relationship with your co-workers?

In my base If one person got in trouble for something that we all had a part in, they would take the hit and life would go on and certainly nobody would think it was fortunate that they could get extra shifts. I can say for sure that nobody would try purposfully to get anybody else in trouble with management for anything.

Sounds like marybe your co-workers are a bunch of arses, but from the other side of things if you were already friends I don't think you would have reported them once you were caught yourself.

If the roles were reversed, and you happened to miss the problem with the defib completely then a co-worker got in trouble several days later and then tried to get you in trouble also for a possibly innocent mistake (because who says their intentions were malicious at all, perhaps they actually never noticed the problem) would you not be upset with them also.

We get enough crap from management and the company without co-workers slinging it onto the pile.

Wow !.. all over a loose wire(s) on a monitor and defib, that would not change outcomes.... geez... someone reported it ..get it fixed. Reprimand someone because they reported a broken object.. wow, I am sure from now on things will be reported.. don't be foolish and punish people for minor and routine equipment problems... I worked at a hospital that actually hand out kudos for people that recognize damaged products. Let's not be foolish...

If there is punishment .. which there should not be, it should be on the parties of not reporting in a timely manner.

Get it fixed and everyone grow up.. there are a lot of worse things to worry about. This is one of things of micro-management problems of EMS. We get so worried about B.S. items that we loose sight or don't even pay attention with major problems like staffing, patient care, etc... These are daily routine things..if management has that much problems over minor crap they need to grow up and go on !

R/R 911

Thank you, jw-c152.

I appreciate your support more than you'll ever know. :D

I think from now on, whoever I work with, wether it be a regular partner or a casual, they're gonna think I'm neurotic, because I'm gonna check, re-check and re-re-check every piece of equipment over and over and over again, all day long.

I'm sure I'll border on obsessive-complusive, but if that's what the company wants, that's what they'll get! LOL!

And I'll generate paperwork like they've never seen! I think I'll start with the fact that last night's crew didn't clean the toilet like they were supposed to.......I wonder how they'll manage to blame that on me??

Have I cracked??..........ummmm, maybe!!

I think this makes Dust's point pretty well doesn't it?

Dwayne

nsmedic393:

He said he was going to have to talk to our Regional Supervisor about it because it was now considered a "critical equipment failure", and my punishment was basically out of his hands.

Connie, you said that the d-fib only had loose wires hanging out and the monitor worked fine, then you probably won't get suspended. If you do, the union will fight the suspension and most likely win. I've seen a few times where they have tried to suspend people for thimgs like this and only giving the employee free days off. Have you talked to your Shop Steward yet, if not do it now, and if he doesn't do anything call the union office. I'm a shop steward as well.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info, N.S ACP, I certainly appreciate it!!

Right now, our shop steward is in the running for the SOP position, which may be a conflict of interest, and the union may request us to find another shop steward, so I really don't know who to turn to for help.

But maybe I'll call the union office directly.

Thanks again!

This is one of things of micro-management problems of EMS. We get so worried about B.S. items that we loose sight or don't even pay attention with major problems like staffing, patient care, etc...

Welcome to Emergency Health Services Nova Scotia.

Like I always said, you can slit someones throat and walk through the middle of town dragging them behind you without a problem. dent a step on the truck and you get a 30 day suspension.

Ummm....I have a question.

Connie, do you know for a FACT that there was a problem with the LP12 four days prior? All you really have is a FF that says the wires were loose. Is that right? I'm just curious. Where I work, there is a EMT-B that is pretty lazy. I usually end up working with him, and I find myself going back over the check off sheet just to CMA. :roll:

Anyway, I was just curious. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

Kim:

What I have exactly is the firefighter who said he saw the wires hanging out, and was actually told to push them back into place.

Then, according to him, the attempt was made to temporarily fix the problem, however they were able to do that I don't know.

There is a white cover that sits on the outside of this whole wire mechanism that basically covers up everything except for the defib cable, so if they were successful in in pushing the wires back in and then covering it with this outside cover, it is completely possible that nobody else would have noticed the problem again until I came in for my shift 4 days later.

But, how can I prove it? My supervisor is choosing to believe the medics who were working that night, and not the firefighter, and what he said he saw, and what he said he was told to do. :roll:

oh well......I've given up on the whole issue. I'm being nailed to the wall, and I've got to deal with it now, suspension or not.