Would you wear a helmet during transports?

pyroknight

Would you consider wearing a helmet in the back of your rig?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, voluntarily
    • Yes, if required
    • No, if voluntary
    • No, I would ignore regulation
    • I don't care / what's a helmet?

This isn't even a matter of skewed. It's a simple matter of studying one thing and not getting sidetracked by peripheral issues. This wasn't a comprehensive research project aimed at curing all the ills of the ambulance. It was a focused study concerned only with the feasibility of one particular solution to one particular problem. There is a huge difference between focused and skewed. In order to claim "skewed," you need to contest the numbers. Are you doing so?

To contest this recommendation is just silly. It's throwing out the baby with the bathwater. It's saying "if my employer won't guarantee me a one hundred percent injury-proof workplace, then I'm not going to take any precautions on my own." It is simply moronic. So moronic that I seriously question the judgment of any medic who says so. Such an attitude indicates to me that they are likely to make very poor professional choices like rushing into gunfights and playing on the freeway or driving recklessly. No doubt about it. I wouldn't hire them.

I haven't read through this thread (tired), but here's my personal opinion. Would I wear a helmet? If my job depended on it, I guess I'd bite the bullet. But I mean, damn come on! Strap me into my seatbelt, secure my helmet... hell, just stick some safety goggles on me for kicks. Might as well wrap me in bubble wrap for God's sake. Look, injuries are going to happen. I'm as safety conscious as the next person but the idea of having to wear a friggin helmet while I'm in the back of the ambulance is just absurd to me. If we crash and I die from a massive head injury then, by God, it was my time to go. Tell my parents I love 'em and pray that God has room for me. :lol:

I have on numerous occasions worn my fire helmet (oh boy here comes the ba** busting :lol: ) in the back of ambulances(Dustdevil, sorry I almost said bus :wink: ) while enroute to hospitals,due to hitting my head on the overhead bar, it saved me from cursing and having a headache. Alright PRPG you can bust my stones now. :P

When necessary...just like a helmet.

Gloves are OVERWORN in ems...

I can't keep enough gloves near me. Perhaps its a ocd tendency, but I always have to wear them. Of course it isn't reality, but I assume everyone has AIDS, Hep C and MRSA. I figure the one time I assume someone doesn't have any communicable diseases, will be the time I am wrong. I know I know, there's a lot more ways to get infected, through the hands being the least of my worries. I also like wearing them because some are blue! Whatever works, right?

As for this helmet issue...

How far does it go? If we are wearing them, are our patients wearing them too? Its only fair. Why should our brain housing group be more valuable than theirs? But wouldn't this hinder our PA, ESPECIALLY when they have a head injury? Just playing devils advocate here.

I am ALWAYS hitting my head in the back of the rig, even had a concussion once. I think maybe to find a happy medium we should mandate either helmets or safety belts... one or the other must be worn. I say this because of the mass transfer system that exists. Most of our transfers (BLS) can be done while belted into the crew bench. If mobility is required, then sure, give me a helmet. I've had too many egg heads, bruises, blood and dizzy spells! Ok, so my spacial awareness isn't in peak condition... I've also broken four or five toes walking barefoot into door sills :-P Maybe I should be wearing a helmet 24/7... :-D

Gloves are OVERWORN in ems...

Absolutely. And that is my point.

Of the same whiners who wouldn't wear a helmet, very few of them could be convinced to not wear gloves. And very few of them could be convinced to walk into an assault scene without police. Yet, there is the air of invincibility while in the ambo that defies logic.

Just curious why the double standard. And why this pervasive thought that people are free to make up their own rules, regardless of policy? I maintain this is simply part of the ignorance and immaturity that permeates EMS in this country and significantly contributes to the overall unprofessional atmosphere.

Responding to several posts in this string, but in no particular order...

1) In "Patton," the General ordered a MASH Doctor to wear a helmet for his own safety, when the doc tried explaining he would be unable to use his stethoscope, Patton told him to cut holes to accommodate the steth. Design will always follow needs, although I would have tried to get that doc a British "Tommy" "pie tin" style helmet.

2) Fugetaboudit! Annibuddy who tawks differently from me and my posse has an accent. I don't got no accent! Youse guys got dat? Or does youse wanna make sumpin' of it?

3) I'm on my 4th vehicle (see the string on "what do you drive') and I live in NYC!

4) I am all for designing in safety to my ambulance vehicle, but don't forget the training of your Motor Vehicle Operator.

5) Don't forget the skills, or lack of them, of other drivers on the road with you.

6) Did you take into account the road conditions, with or without weather, and/or available light on the roadway, as a part of the equation?

7) A "bus" is something driven by drivers for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA), I work in, and drive, an Ambulance!

Sorry, I think comparing the two is totally different and irrelevant. I personally will send a medic home if they become in contact with a patient without gloves. There is medical reasons for such.. medics can never determine which disease states the patients may have. Just because grandma looks sweet and nice, or that small child appears innocent can be very misleading. In fact most of the exposures that I have sen resulted from these patients.

Look at your own hands, your partners hands and see if there is not any small cuts, open areas or even cracked, chaffed areas. Folks these are not large molecular size viruses, or bacteria, research even shows that they might even be able to permeate some latex. If you get in contact with these YOU CAN GET SICK & DIE... short and simple !

Sorry, I have friends that was contaminated by patients, then afterward had to receive treatment. Playing Russian roulette, is foolish. As well, employers may pursue if you were not wearing the protection they provided you , they may not cover or be responsible to cover you for medical costs, etc...

Sorry, I am not phobic, but I sure have seen people lives change in horrible situations from not wearing protection and those not wearing protection at the time. Receiving chemo-toxic agents for a year because you received Hep. C, because you did not take the time to wear protective gear is very regrettable. When you are unable to work for a year or a greater, loose your hair, weight etc. from the treatments or worse become ill or even die. Responsibility, not just to yourself but to your loved ones as well....

As well, you can honestly tell me that your hands are free from viruses or bacteria from touching materials (steering wheel, door handles, stretchers etc..) when you touch that patient?.... How many patients have immune suppressed diseases and syndromes.. Our patients deserve better... Be responsible to glove up.. if not for your self at least for your patients !

Far as wearing a helmet.. sorry I have worked the past 29 years in the back of a EMS unit.. & I am 6'4'' and have as of yet luckily..been severe injured. If it is safer to wear a helmet .. so be it. Yet again, let us not skip a process. Let us examine WHY these injuries occur, HOW these injuries occur, WHERE these injuries occur. As well wearing seat belts while try performing care is a nice idea but realistically not feasible.

Proper emergency vehicle operators instruction and continuous education of such. Monitoring of driving skills, and performance, placement of equipment as well as design of unit definitely need to be explored.

These are some of the major issues that needs to be researched and worked upon.

Be safe,

R/R 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.