Would you wear a helmet during transports?

pyroknight

Would you consider wearing a helmet in the back of your rig?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, voluntarily
    • Yes, if required
    • No, if voluntary
    • No, I would ignore regulation
    • I don't care / what's a helmet?

I don't think we need helmets in the back of a rig. Hell, we can't even see since there's no light back there, and only cargo. Cargo doesn't need treatment.

I would not wear a helmet in the back of the bus. Design safer ambulances.

If they were aesthetic in their looks, yes I would wear them. Something that looked "cool" and protected my head would be fine. Preferably something that was slim and was the least restricting while working in the back.

I think image is a big thing in EMS. I don't want to look like I have problems running into walls.

And to answer Dust question, I hope that I will be employable enough to make the decision to leave if I feel I look like an idiot.

If they were aesthetic in their looks, yes I would wear them. Something that looked "cool" and protected my head would be fine. Preferably something that was slim and was the least restricting while working in the back.

I think image is a big thing in EMS. I don't want to look like I have problems running into walls.

Agreed. There is no need for that. A black ProTech climbing helmet is low profile and unrestrictive, allowing stethoscope usage and still providing certifiable protection. And nobody says you have to wear them on scenes.

I have to agree.

I call bull$hit. If they put restraining devices in the ambos to keep you from smashing into the walls, the same idiots who refuse to wear helmets would refuse to wear them too. Those are the same guys who refuse to use KED's and other such laziness and insubordination. Fire them. Fire them all. No shortage of rookies out there to replace them with. Guys who actually want the job and don't have a bunch of bad habits like these burnouts do.

As a firefighter, I never had any partners refuse to wear bunker gear or SCBA.

And as a nurse or Paramedic, I am the only person I recall ever refusing to wear gloves.

WHOA NELLY, and back up the da BUS!

Do we have a latent fire fighter paramedic here?

A closet dynamic duo?

WT....? a freudian slip up?

New thread: Now taking donations for the "Send Dust to Long Island for Deprogramming"

It does not compute, tilt, tilt, Get a KEVLAR Helmet Dust. lol

Ya ever notice those old episodes of EMERGENCY! Roy & Johnny wore helmets going on runs... it was an LA county reg at the time...? If it's a rule.... (aren't rules open to interpretation?)

Actually this was a publicity stunt James Page suggested when he was a consultant for Emergency.. after the stunt that Jack Web agreed upon, it was mandated into policy then..

Be safe,

R/R 911

I call bull$hit. If they put restraining devices in the ambos to keep you from smashing into the walls, the same idiots who refuse to wear helmets would refuse to wear them too. Those are the same guys who refuse to use KED's and other such laziness and insubordination. Fire them. Fire them all. No shortage of rookies out there to replace them with. Guys who actually want the job and don't have a bunch of bad habits like these burnouts do.

I agree I am all for protecting my mellon and if it were policy the absolutly fire them all if they dont comply since it is not sure I would wear one as long as it did not interfere with my job hell I wear one almost everyday any way {I ride a honda sabre}

Again, the full article also states that we should also buckle up while in the back.. nice idea,not realistic. Hmmm...conflicting points more agressive CPR without interpruption but, remain seated ? Now, I also question the study as well as no mention about cervical injuries..maybe we ought to wear cervical collars as well. The patient was never mentioned...?

Hmm .. nothing was mentioned on remodeling the rear compartment to make it better...I smell a skewed study... instead of adressing the problem ( I am sure he did not want to upset the ambulance manufactures) . Why is there not air bag type compartments for side impact in areas? Again. why are not protuding devices recessed into the cabinets and all sharp corners removed as well steel borders and stainless steel ?...

I would like to see the study of traumatic brian injuries (TBI) in coparrision of laccerations, soft tissue injuries, fractures from striking sharp objects and loose materal flying debris in EMS accidents.

Sory, until I see more data that is more relevant, I doubt we will see major EMS changes of enforcing helmet regulations. If it is simple enough of something simlar to bicycle type helmet so be it.. but, I wonder if it will make it through AAA (American Ambulance Association) for endorcement. ...yet again, EMS xometims knee jerks over one study.

Besafe,

R/ R 911

All studies are skewed. It's all interpretation of the available data. Again, there's no way to make anything 100% safe. There is no way to prevent injuries in every situation. The helmet is a reasonable step in the direction of safety. A c-collar wouldn't be practical for us to use, but perhaps you're onto something. How about those big ol' neck pad things racers and stunt drivers wear? While we're at it, kevlar vests have saved the lives of many vehicle crewmen in accidents because they took a hit from a sharp edge during a tank rollover or a helicopter crash. Of course you've got seatbelts too, but we've beaten that horse to death. If anything the helmet is still less than adequate protection when in the patient compartment, but it's a step towards safety.

As for the seated or supine patient, they're supposed to be strapped in according to our local protocols. That's feasible with the included straps and belts in most situations.

Remodeling compartments has been occurring. Look at the older rigs in service (y'know, the steel box with the wood paneling) and this year's models. More rails, more padding, less protruding objects.

I do agree that more data has should be taken into account to study common injuries that occur in the back of the ambulance. The one study approach primarily benefits the politician much more than it benefits the end user.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.