Would you wear a helmet during transports?

pyroknight

Would you consider wearing a helmet in the back of your rig?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, voluntarily
    • Yes, if required
    • No, if voluntary
    • No, I would ignore regulation
    • I don't care / what's a helmet?

Merginet - Safety Advocate Suggests Helmets for EMS Workers

The article above suggests that in addition to wearing seat belts in the back of a moving ambulance, EMS caregivers should consider wearing helmets to protect their brain housing units. I have always liked headset communications between the back of the unit and the front and think this would be a great way to integrate communications and protection.

What do the great EMS masses think?

I did a ride-along with a helo service here and the crew all wore helmets. Granted, I can see the need for that, but MVA's in ambo's are likely to be more frequent, yet we don't require them. The crew never seemed to be hindered in anyway by the helmet and the communication between pilot and crew was excellent. I for one would welcome the use of a helmet, regardless of how wankerish it looked.

Sorry, I understand, but we can never be "totally" protected. I understand Helo's etc.. there is a difference in fatalities and injuries R/t those incidents.

Although. I believe in safety, I will not wear helmet. Sorry...Let's design the units to be more safer... WOW ! What a concept !

Be safe,

R/R 911

I agree there are still things that can be done to increase the safety of the rigs themselves (increased use of rounded/padded edges, crash-worthy mounting brackets for equipment that cannot be housed in cabinets, passenger restraints that minimize interference with patient care, etc.), BUT ambulances are dramatically different from passenger vehicles and there will be times when the caregiver simply must remove his or her restraint device while the vehicle is in motion. If anything, I think helmets make MORE sense (safety-wise) in ground units than in air units. I would think that survivability is lower in air ambulance crashes, therefore reducing head injuries could be accomplished more easily in ground units.

Personally I would never wear a helmet. How am supposed to recheck a BP or lung sounds if I have a helmet on. Well i guess a bicycle helmet wouldn't be that bad but if it was like a motorcycle helmet or a helmet for chopper personel forget about it. And can you imagine how hot that would get in the summer months. I agree lets work on making the rig a safer working enviroment.

Patrick

EMT-B

Paramedic Student

Merginet - Safety Advocate Suggests Helmets for EMS Workers

The article above suggests that in addition to wearing seat belts in the back of a moving ambulance, EMS caregivers should consider wearing helmets to protect their brain housing units. I have always liked headset communications between the back of the unit and the front and think this would be a great way to integrate communications and protection.

What do the great EMS masses think?

No. No. No. No. No. No.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.