Are personal faith and medical care compatiable?

As a christian who joined the Catholic church as an adult, I've always been taught that God wants us to help those in need. It doesn't matter who they are, what they've done, or how their beliefs differ from mine. I've been given the gift to help others and I'm NOT doing the work God wanted me to do if I refuse treatment to someone. There is no issue of discrimination in that. If someone feels, especially in this field, that they can not treat others without being discriminating about that person, be they atheist, muslim, christian or any other faith, they are in the WRONG field. That's my $0.02 on the subject.

Yes rat115, you can believe whatever you want. But with you, it doesn't interfere with your job in any given scenario (I assume). You would not refuse to do something, just because you don't believe that person is following what your God would want.

Kudos to you. You can separate your job and your faith. Millions and millions likely do this everyday.

This legislature, unfortunately, would allow people to ignore/refuse to do certain elements of their job because of their faith. And faith is very subjective...Not all faith is "mainstream" religion.

Dust and Rid both mentioned that they would refuse to do certain things on the job (in hospital). That is fine. I have zero issue with that and I respect that. But I would also assume that their were others reasonably and readily available with similar education and training who could assist.

Generally I don't have a problem with people refusing to do certain medical procedures, ect, based on their belief system...No problem at all.

In EMS especially though, and regarding the "reasonably and readily available" statement, it doesn't seem feasible.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I believe it should sometimes be perceived that many enter the health care field due to their faith. EMS is one of the few medical professions that does not address spirituality in the care of the patient. As a Christian, I am aware of certain procedures that are performed, and I avoid employment with those. Again, most of the procedures that are elective and are considered non-crucial for continuation of life.

I again address that those with true understanding of Christian beliefs would never refuse to give care or treatment in those of need. Look in comparison, how many relief and medical care is provided by such organizations. Ever seen a hospital with a St. before its name?..

Those that would never provide immediate care for those that are sick and injured due to race, creed, color are doing such on their own bigotry, and using their "belief" as an excuse. There are many times I have provided care for people I do not believe in their lifestyle, behavior or events that they had participated in. If I refuse to do this, I would had seen a few patients a year...lol. Ever worked on a patient that have killed someone, or injured their children etc ?

There are many other organized religions that provide care for those of certain faiths, praticing non-traditional medicine.

I truly believe that having a "faith" can enhance care, and allow personal deeper insight to patient care, more than physical care, but emotional and spiritual as well. Majority of patients have these needs as well as physical, and is just important. There are several citations and research showing that whole needs of the patient needs to be addressed.

So the point is .. is the care or lack of care detrimental to the patient ? Is the practitioner truly basing the lack of care or care based upon their "interpretation" of faith or personal beliefs?

Be safe,

R/R 911

So the point is .. is the care or lack of care detrimental to the patient ? Is the practitioner truly basing the lack of care or care based upon their "interpretation" of faith or personal beliefs?

http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/informa...ception/mapill/

The morning after pill must be taken within 72 hours of having unprotected intercourse and is most effective within the first 12-24 hours.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...p;dopt=Citation

The pregnancy rate was 0.8% for the <72-hour group and 1.8% for the 72- to 120-hour group. The effectiveness rate varied from 87% to 90% for the <72-hour group and from 72% to 87% for the 72- to 120-hour group. In both groups the chi(2) tests showed that emergency contraceptive pills significantly reduced the risk of pregnancy.

While this isn't emergent, it does require fairly prompt (3-5 day) response for maximal or even total effectiveness. Again, I don't know anything really about the case, but you see where I am going with this.

A scared 14 year old who has unprotected sex in a small town. Now I don't know how much this pill costs but lets say the patient has the money (is a script required for the morning after pill?). Her pharmacist refuses as in this example? She only has a fairly small window (even assuming she had the courage to do this on the first day) to potentially avoid this pregnancy.

Go to another pharmacy? She doesn't have the means, or is too scared...And what if that pharmacist then denies her...

I could go on....People may think "Oh, that's hypothetical BS" Really? Fine replace 14 with 24...Same thing...

EDIT...

http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/c..._emergency.html

Depending on the types of pills that are prescribed, the emergency contraceptive pill costs between $8 and $35.

I had not read this post til VS was talking about it in the chatroom...he told me I needed to post my reply here...so here goes.....and I know that he is going to come in and try to tear it to shreds like he does everyone elses but oh well my thoughts and beliefs are my own and I have not nor will push my religous beliefs off on anyone else......I do not judge people for what they believe if they dont believe the same as me....IT IS NOT MY JOB TO JUDGE IT IS GODS'S JOB

I was raised in a Christian home went to church on Sundays and I believe in God....but My beliefs are mine...I do not think that the Governement should allow a law that limits my ability to be treated due to my beliefs....or theirs.

When I am on the back of that truck with the nice lights and sirens its not about me or what i believe it is what my patient believes, It is about what is best for them and what I can do to treat them. It is my job to do what my patient wants and needs not to condemn them or to judge them.

The morning after pill thing....If a law is passed and my ems agency says i give it if they want it I will give it cause that is my job...We are here for the patients not ourselfs....it goes back to the saying....when you enter through the doors leave your ego behind...EMS is not about us as EMTB'S, EMTI'S, EMTP, It is about our patients ... if it wasn for our patients we would all be on the welfare line...it dont matter if it is emergent or not .....THE PATIENT IS ALWAYS NUMBER ONE....... NOT US.

These are just my thoughts and ideals.... so vs take your best shot.. i know you are going to so i give you permission....

T :angel12:

Again...

People may not be following this. It is not about your faith or it "GOD'S JOB". You can have faith in anything you want.

This is about denying treatment based on faith and hypothetical.

People's belief in say Jesus is as valid as people believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Belief, is the key word...If people don't see how subjective that can be then...well....

VS you missed my point.... I said that i did not agree with the Government making laws that denied anyone treatment based on the relious beliefs or either party....I treat all my patients with the respect and dignity they deserve......and give them 100% of everything in me to treat them to the best of my ability....

and once again VS I SAID .......I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT TREATMENT SHOULD BE DENIED DUE TO THE RELIGOUS BELIEVES OF THE DOCTOR OR THE MEDIC....IT IS OUR JOB TO FOLLOW THE WISHES OF THE PATIENTS WE TREAT... AND FOLLOW THE LAWS WE ARE GIVEN... NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS...WE DONT HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE LAWS JUST FOLLOW THEM.... :angel12:

VS you missed my point.... I said that i did not agree with the Government making laws that denied anyone treatment based on the relious beliefs or either party....I treat all my patients with the respect and dignity they deserve......and give them 100% of everything in me to treat them to the best of my ability....

and once again VS I SAID .......I DO NOT AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT TREATMENT SHOULD BE DENIED DUE TO THE RELIGOUS BELIEVES OF THE DOCTOR OR THE MEDIC....IT IS OUR JOB TO FOLLOW THE WISHES OF THE PATIENTS WE TREAT... AND FOLLOW THE LAWS WE ARE GIVEN... NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS...WE DONT HAVE TO AGREE WITH THE LAWS JUST FOLLOW THEM.... :angel12:

I agree T. I feel that my personal beliefs shouldnt impact my tx of my pt. END OF STORY!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.