Are personal faith and medical care compatiable?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now folks we have beat this issue to death... Consider the "ethical legal aspects" of your training remember that chapter in your book? It's about providing patient care. I'll leave it at that...

Think of this, in the majority of our patients, >80% of our treatment is of their emotional needs. Just as we have to tailor medical treatment to each patient, likewise is true of emotional treatment. If your patient is a believer or Christian and you are too, then they would probably consent to you ministering to them as part of your treatment.

My personal faith is not something I wear on my sleeve at work because I respect my patients personal beliefs and I do not try to force anything on them. Actually, it is very seldom that I share my faith with a patient unless they outright ask or other circumstances lead into it.

My personal faith is not something I wear on my sleeve at work because I respect my patients personal beliefs and I do not try to force anything on them. Actually, it is very seldom that I share my faith with a patient unless they outright ask or other circumstances lead into it.

Now this is starting to sound a lot like my thoughts on this subject. Kudos Kevkei :occasion5:

LMAO at pmedic623 and Dust :lol: I love how the sarcasm breaks up a subject like this.

I think we all know that we aren't done beating this subject until it reaches ten pages or gets locked. I'm doing my best to help it reach ten pages, but there's only so much I can do finally! (Just Kidding)

I think that we need to maintain perspective & look at what tools we are given.

The most important of these is our protocols and, to ensure we 1. do the best for the patient & 2 CYA, we need to follow them, irrespective of religious beliefs or not.

This does not mean we blindly follow the book, but to refuse treatment to someone because you have a religious objection in my opinion is reprehensible. It is your choice not mine to take this stand & your beliefs should not be forced onto me as your patient.

Also, here we are in the worst case, answerable to the coroner who would defer to our protocols & tell us that we are to use them and if we don't agree with them, argue for change showing clinical proof and outcomes resultant from alternative therapies or leave.

Stay safe

First I entered EMS because of my Religious convictions...This legislation SHOULD NOT affect EMS but it will because there are a lot of burned out and lazy EMS providers out there that need to move on to a new line of work...

First I entered EMS because of my Religious convictions...This legislation SHOULD NOT affect EMS but it will because there are a lot of burned out and lazy EMS providers out there that need to move on to a new line of work...
WOW! that's a pretty general statement considering the company here at EMTCity. I personally don't think you have the right to make such a statement and take exception to it! Maybe where you work bro, but not where I am. Most EMT's and medics I work with are nothing less than professional in all aspects of their pt care and all other duties we have to take care of. Maybe with that attitude, it's time for you to move on!

WOW! that's a pretty general statement considering the company here at EMTCity. I personally don't think you have the right to make such a statement and take exception to it! Maybe where you work bro, but not where I am. Most EMT's and medics I work with are nothing less than professional in all aspects of their pt care and all other duties we have to take care of. Maybe with that attitude, it's time for you to move on!

Chill out man

Its not like he said that Jake is a burn out... As far as blanket statements go, he is right. There are a lot of burn outs ou there.

Not sure what it has to do with religion though/

I'm not praying with or baptising anyone. I'll get my atheist butt out there and treat anyone who crosses my path per my protocals but nowhere in my training or licensing did I become a priest. I won't stop the patient from praying their eyes out but I'm not getting involved.

Steve

EMT/Security

Atheists unite- Atheist Network

http://www.atheistnetwork.com

I'm not praying with or baptising anyone. I'll get my atheist butt out there and treat anyone who crosses my path per my protocals but nowhere in my training or licensing did I become a priest. I won't stop the patient from praying their eyes out but I'm not getting involved.

So Steve, where in your 'protocals' does it tell you how to treat the emotional aspects of our patients and their families? Where does it specifically say that you can or can not 'minister' to a patient. Or, for that matter, where does it say you can hold their hand, use touch, kind words? Do you have a protocol for displaying empathy? Does anyone? Didn't think so. The fact is, soft skills encompass' over 80% of our treatment.

All I was doing was answering akflightmedic and I will stick with my previous statment...X

Stay on track people and read from the beginning.

This has nothing to do with the morning after pill, whether it is right or wrong, or whether we as EMS providers can give it.

If you read the first original post in its entirety, you will have a grasp on the topic at hand.

It is about laws that are trying to be passed that enable us to withhold ANY treatment if it conflicts with our own personal religous or moralistic views.

My concern was this law would enable or allow a lot of abuse of the privelege by burnt out lazy or incompetent medics.

In addition, it would give certain zealots a really nice platform upon which to place themselves in order to start spewing their message in whatever unique way they contrive now that their actions or inactions are protected by the law.

There are always those willing to be martyrs to prove a point, to any extreme, no matter how right or how wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.