Racist

emsgirl

Have you been called a racist on a call  

124 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, 1 time so far.
    • Yes, 2-5
    • Yes, Maybe I am one I have been called that so many times it's my nickname
    • No, not yet at least

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my last word on the subject. Captain, you have ISSUES. I mean, I have read a lot of long winded self serving right wing carrying on, but yours really is just plain ANGRY. Sure, I can be an opinionated and intolerant lunkhead from time to time but, you, you're just so filled with anger. I reiterate my opinion that anyone who so loudly claims they are not a bigot but with real personal animosity attacks any such black politician, there's a little something going on upstairs.

To answer your question, if my child was trapped under burning wreckage, I wouldn't be praying to anyone, I would be doing whatever it takes, and I really mean whatever it takes, to get them out. Thats because I know that bravery is a lot more than carrying a firearm or invading a country. Its doing what is right, no matter the consequences.

It's no secret that I've worked in Detroit. For those of you that know anything about Detroit, there are 'suburb cities' that Detroit has engulfed; like Highland Park. East Detroit, and the subsequent 'suburb cities' are predominantly low rent, drug infested, etc.

I've been stationed in those areas as 'punishment', and when they (the company) found out that I actually worked well in those areas, wanted to pull me out. Their rationale was, "Nobody LIKES that area!"

I've worked areas known as 'Cass Corridor', or 'Blood Alley' with no problems at all, while other crews and other services have had major problems in those areas. (Another company, Taylor Ambulance [now defunct]), even had 5 rounds from a shotgun pumped through their truck as they were sitting on post in Highland Park, less than a half mile from my station. They were known to go down Woodward Ave at night and turn on the lights and sirens 'just to mess with people'.

Respect goes a long way toward eliminating any problems before they start!

Well to get off the politics lets remember the OP asked if we had been called racist. So back on subject would be great.

Back on topic...hell this topic was dead for 2 years until the capt resurrected it. Is the OP still a member here??

LOL

Good replies however...

I actually was called when off duty when a white patient claimed that my work mates ( all Mexican-Americans is that pc or what ) were racist for not wanting to transport. I went over saw the bs they wanted transported for and told them no in english and spanish ( for those that don't know no is no in english and spanish ). I was then called a blankin Mexican lover as we left.

There have been so many replies here that are so disconnected with the race issue, I don't even know how to reply to all of them. Too many false premises to address.

Though probably none of you will do it, I suggest taking a class on race/gender/justice studies to be exposed the true problems. I had no interest in the topic, but took it simply because I was deficient in the topic, and it opened my eyes.

PS

-There are LOTS of Latinos and a good deal of African-Americans in EMS out here.

-I know people with black friends, who openly admit they are racist.

-Describing an black person that doesn't have interest in visiting African or learning a dialect shows how detached you are. It's just awkward, even within this conversation.

-Describing an black person that doesn't have interest in visiting African or learning a dialect shows how detached you are. It's just awkward, even within this conversation.

It's only awkward to racists. :lol:

I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just to examine the basis for the question in the first place. "Has anyone been called a racist?" This isn't a closed ended question in my opinion. Race discussions are always emotional and unless I sing the the politically correct tune of the modern age I will be perceived as a racist, bigot or what ever label folks like Asysin2leads wish to apply.

I have been called a racist, I have heard others called racist without cause. Sometimes alcohol or drugs were a component sometimes it was simply an issue of heightened emotions during chaotic or violent situations. I have never witnessed anyone being accused of being a racist by anyone from all of the other races except black people. Spenac is exactly right I strayed way off topic in an effort to broaden the discussion to include causative factors and tried to open discussion that might lead to better understanding in our little EMT City corner of the world, who knows we could have learned something?

Unfortunately I allowed emotion to get the better part of me in trying to prove a point with Asysin2leads. Instead of trying to have a meaningful discussion with me he/she quickly threw down their version of the digital race card and began attacking the things he/she assumed were important to me, instead of discussing the core content of things I had brought up. Perhaps I do have issues as Asysin2leads accused me of having, but there are key differences between us. I am willing to have a forthright, intellectual discussion with the objective of answering the greater questions; why were we perceived as racists, what were the circumstances surrounding the incident and what can we do to improve the way we are percieved?

Culture and race are important issues to EMS in ways separate from the emotional, headline grabbing nonense that folks like Asysin2leads want us to focus on. Differences in interpretation of specific words, slang, pain tolerance levels and reluctance for certain races to seek help early in an emergency are crucial aspects in terms of patient assessment. These directly affect our index of suspicion (thats a medical term Asysin2leads) and in developing an accurate "clinical picture". Understanding differences in how families of different cultures perceive an emergency, react to that emergency and effect emergency response are important to not only emergency responders, but to those we serve.

Our efforts as EMS providers in responding to calls involving the minority population must include meaningful efforts to understand their perspective without our employees or ourselves feeling as though we have been forced into doing so. This will not happen until folks like Asysin2leads can check Political Correctness and their state of being perpetually offended at the door.

Wait a minute, I thought Jesse Jackson and Marion Barry were the bad guys. When did I become the politcally correct/liberal boogeyman here? I assure you, captain, I'm far from being "politically correct". I'm just not an a--hole. Big difference! And I never called you a "bigot". I said you have issues, and seeing as my name came up about FIVE TIMES in your last post, which was supposed to be about people calling you racist, I reiterate my opinion. You have issues! I sense a real inferiority complex here. What happened, black guy take your girlfriend or something?

Maybe you live in an area where you're surrounded by upper class intellectual types who get all hot and bothered by your Michael Savage rhetoric ans stuff, but I assure you, you're barking up the wrong tree with me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.