Racist

emsgirl

Have you been called a racist on a call  

124 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, 1 time so far.
    • Yes, 2-5
    • Yes, Maybe I am one I have been called that so many times it's my nickname
    • No, not yet at least

Please re-read my recent post, you "guys" relpied so quickly I didnt have time to correct a couple mistakes. Spenac, I had the same experience in a predominantly black community when we responded to a shooting where half of a young black kid's head was blown off. The very large group of blacks that had surrounded us became so angry when we wouldnt work this kid that police eventually had to get out shotguns and pepper spray to get us out of there.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope never have been and never hope to be

if you treat people with respect and dignity they will give it back doesnt matter if they are under the influence of anything or not in many cases they do not but that is when you must stay proffessional and continue on as if nothign happened

unfortunately there are still some cases where this will never work and some will still be disrespectful nop matter what you do

i have seen racisit things happen to others in my station and at clinicals it has never happened to ,me on a call but as a kid i grew up in a city where it was rampant and happend to myself and friends daily

nope never have been and never hope to be

if you treat people with utmost respect and dignity no matter white ,black,pink whatever they will give it back doesnt matter if they are under the influence of anything or not

I am glad you can live in a dream world. I treat all people as equals. Because of this some whites say racist things to me. In my area as a white I am a minority. People have and do say racist things to me. I am actually discriminated against at stores. So don't tell me you get treated the way you treat people.

There are scum in all races, I hate to admit it but I have met more white trash than I have met trash of other races. Sadly those few are the ones that cause people of other races to develope negative feelings towards an entire race.

its not necessariyl a dream world thing

i live in a small area near lancaster county(amish country)pa and most of my patients are from nursing homes etc and i guess either dont remember how to be rude due to dimentia or just were raised differently then some

when i was doing clinical rotations at thje local hospitals that was a different story i was never called a racist or had any racial things occur towards me but had witnessed several around me to patients,docs medics alike

so as i said before it is not a dream world thing it is simply a statement that i hope it doesnt

i grew up in philly and was in an area for high school where racism was very high so on that aspect it has happened to me in ems ive been lucky

in life it happens daily and it sucks

And, and one time at band camp we joined hands of all races, well most of them, and surrounded the camp fire and sang kum ba yah as we sacrificed an evil white man over the flames.

Attitudes such as you are displaying are the type that lead to so many problems between races. Whites, blacks, mexicans etc are not the problem. The problem is the scum found in each race.

Twice that I remember, and it really pissed me off.

It can be very difficult, but I try to treat every patient with respect, and dignity.

One time, got called to the home of a then elected city official, his 90+ year old mother on the third floor was not feeling well. My partner and I introduced ourselves, and had good interaction with the official, and his very pleasant mother. I politely asked if I could call her by her first name, and she stated that was OK. Her very upset (and vocal) grandson arrived, and starts screaming at me and my partner, and calls us rude and racists for not being polite to his fine grandmother.

The father tried calming the son, to no avail. The son is now yelling outside, and a crowd is forming. (White EMS crew, fully Black neighborhood). Background, official is very respected and well liked. Son, self proclaimed preacher, wearing $500 suit, complete with leopard skin hat and cape.

We carry his grandmother outside on a stairchair to the waiting litter, where the grandmother now sees her grandson attempting to work up the crowd. The grandmother, in front of the crowd, loudly puts her grandson in his place.

Second time, had a Black woman with an anxiety attack. We got accused by her husband because we did not carry her out of the house. My partner, politely (but obviously without enough tact) explained to the husband that it was unsafe for us to carry his wife (larger than both of us combined) down 3 steps, which were missing nails, treads, and a railing.

Our supervisor arrived at the hospital, and before he could even open his mouth, the patient's husband screamed, accusing him of being a racist also. This in the middle of a crowded ER.

I have personally been called a racist 3 different times. The funny thing is, it was all white males who called me racist. They were all very intoxicated, one of which was suffering a severe head injury along with his intoxication. Being a white female, it made me laugh that these white males were calling me racist, they swore up and down to me that I hated them because they were white, if they were any other race I would do what they told me.

Personally color, race, and gender to not affect how I treat my patients. I treat them all equally. Well in a sense. I obviously treat patients different, but I think you all know what I meant.

No, I have never been called a racist on the job. Now my personal life is another story. I cant help that I am attracted to my own race. Thats personal preference, not being racial. I believe that all should be treated with the utmost respect. Everyone deserve fair and equal treatment. We are here to serve the public no matter who they are or what race they are.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.