Preppers - the show

Just Plain Ruff

I think that most of these plans, though really good, also sort of have zombie apocalypse written all over them...

I've got 12 gallons of water and about two weeks worth of not easily perishable, but also not very healthy food, 'just in case.' We camp pretty often and have found that with three of us drinking, washing, and cleaning dishes and such that we rarely go through one 6 gal container in a 4-5 day stay.

The one thing that I don't have, and this might be area specific is an electric generator with extra fuel for running a small heater while the power is out. Because of Dylan's autism though, I do have about $200 worth of assorted batteries to run all kinds of electronics until someone cleans the shit off of the fan.

Great lists!

I'm going to take these lists, and take the lists from the so called experts out there and put together a master list.

If those of you here think it would be of benefit for the group here I will post that list here.

I think it would be beneficial to this group as we will more than likely be some of the first called upon in our neighborhoods to help out in a disaster.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the thought processes that those on the show that I referenced but I am taking bits and pieces of those peoples recommendations and putting them into my own plan.

You need to look into the Zombie Squad. They're disaster preppers, not just fake Zombie killers. We discussed their massive medical kits w/ MS, etc; but no training before.

Incidentally, I have a fallout shelter; a bonified shelter. 2' concrete walls; concrete floor, steel and concrete ceiling; gravity flow water, toilet; door that opens inward, locks, has a seal. Yanno what's in it?

Christmas decorations.

If anything catastrophic were to happen, I'd probably turn out and do my civil duty until I was either dying from radiation poisoning; or my life were in danger; or being chased by Zombies. Hate to say it, and I am in no way - at this time - suicidal.. But who would want to survive if everyone else in town died? I wouldn't. I value human contact. I have a 72hr pack for wildfires or large searches; that's it. I do have several cases of MRE stuff. But I have no plans to prep for major disaster. But like natural disaster, I think we'll be safe to shelter in place. I'd def go in the shelter for a Tornado; but its original 1961 intended purpose. No way in hell.

Captain K, and I do not mean James Tiberius Kirk, I am not on either cable or satellite TV, I'm still using "Rabbit ears". For that reason, I am totally unfamiliar with the Preppers show. Is the basis of the show the Mayan Calendar ending just before Christmas this year, and the Doomsday predictions?

If the planet blows up, even those in the Cheyenne Mountain US Military Command Center, behind those 4 foot thick safe-like doors, are going to be dead, too. If it's a Nuke exchange, supposedly the US arsenal can destroy all life on the planet seven times over, add what the former USSR, and the current French, Chinese, Pakistani and India stockpile, then the Israeli, North Korea, and those I don't recall but has them, if they go boom, There are 2 jokes, 1) WW4 would be fought with thrown rocks, or 2) the cockroaches inherit what's left.

PS: NYC is considered a prime target. Presuming a "Tsar" type bomb (check Youtube for it), far as I am from the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty (both presumed to be nuke event Ground Zeros), I'm still within the fireball. Even if I should survive, the only ways off my piece of real estate, if not knocked down or evaporated by the fireball, would put me closer to both those suggested Ground Zeros, or have me in a RHIB in boiling ocean water trying to go past Snookie's house in New Jersey.

Not for nuttin', but I just found an ad within the Major Surplus and Survival catalog, for a MiG 21. Real deal, not a model, and for only $24,999.95, on markdown from $45,000.00!

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Russian-MIG-21-Jet-Aircraft-P14908C2094.aspx

I think that most of these plans, though really good, also sort of have zombie apocalypse written all over them...

I've got 12 gallons of water and about two weeks worth of not easily perishable, but also not very healthy food, 'just in case.' We camp pretty often and have found that with three of us drinking, washing, and cleaning dishes and such that we rarely go through one 6 gal container in a 4-5 day stay.

The one thing that I don't have, and this might be area specific is an electric generator with extra fuel for running a small heater while the power is out. Because of Dylan's autism though, I do have about $200 worth of assorted batteries to run all kinds of electronics until someone cleans the shit off of the fan.

Great lists!

I we lived on a commune things would possibly be a lot less complicated.

I know a rural community that are banding together for the purpose of preparing for disaster. They have common gardens and such even thought hey all live on separate plots of land. Interesting concept.

• Like 1

Yeah, You take a group of like minded people, take their skill sets and you get a community of people who if pressed can survive if needed. Each person has a skill or a list of skills that will help that group survive and thrive if needed.

Everyone of us has a skill or a group of skills that can be put to use in a disaster or a situation.

But as a single entity(me) I don't have all the skills that a group will have.

It's better to band together for the common good than to stand apart and hope that you can learn the skills you need to survive.

Even though you live apart doesn't mean you can't get togethter for this one thing and survive.

otherwise live apart like you already do.

You don't have to be friends, just have to like each other enough to trust each other enough to survive. Sort of like mutually assured survival. You have what I want and I have what you want, so I'll give you what you want now in hopes that in some future time you will give me what I need. And if you don't then hell will freeze over before you get that item that will keep you from freezing your ass off or starving to death.

You might wanna think about buying a book about nature-survival and those kind of stuff if you aren`t accomplished in the field.

I own that one, though more for the fun of sometimes skipping through the sites: http://www.amazon.co...31742749&sr=8-2 (doubt it has been translated into English though).

It includes all topics needed in a survival situation, how to set up a camp, how to design traps, makeshift weapons (even fire-arms), basic survival medicine, and even some topics about hostile encounters, etc.

I`m sure there`s something like it in English, too.

Off Topic:

Rüdiger Nehberg is a really great and inspiring person, as well as a survival expert. He`s done all kinds of cool, crazy stuff, like crossing the Atlantic on a tree stump as well as with a pedal boat. He was the first to conquer the Blue Nile from its source to its end, he bycicled around the Mediterranean Sea, and fought himself 800 km though the Amazonas region without any help or much equipment.

He also engaged himself very much for the Yanomami-Indians in Bazil, who were threatened by the Gold Rush down there, back in the 80s, and he fights against female genital mutilation.

Twice, I had the honour to hear one of his recitations - brilliant experiences, both times.

Sorry for being Off-Topic that long, just got thrown into this eulogy by mentionening one of his books above. ;)

Edited by Vorenus

I just realized something. I was mentioning solar panels and wind up 2 way radios or flashlights, but then remembered, if it was the nuclear exchange, the Electro-Magnetic Pulse (EMP) would fry any circuitry or lights. We couldn't experiment with it, as you;d need an "air burst", and the US stopped experimenting with nuke air bursts in 1963, almost days after defining what an EMP is.

For those who don't know, an EMP would fry the electrical systems and electronics in a car, too. See the attack scenes in "The Day After", and the Tom Cruise edition of "War of the Worlds" for simulations of what is the potential of an EMP.