Preppers - the show

Just Plain Ruff

If the grid went down right now, how well could you survive for 3 days without electricity, fast food, running water and easy access to money?

Well, hm. Really? I dunno.

Although my rucksack, which I carry with me whereever I go, in itself is a small survival pack, although I haven`t really planned it. I hear from alot of people who had it in their hands that it`s much to heavvy, but I mean - I need those things! ;)

So, three days? I guess.

In my rucksack:

-some varying amount of food

-at least 1,5 litre of some unalcolholic drink, propably some beers if the shit hits the world when I`m on my way out to some party ;)

-various books ;)

-a flashlight (plus reserve batteries)

-a small med pack (some pain meds, bandages, plasters, a scissor and such)

-a knife

-a small implement pack

-a rain poncho (could be used for the obvious, as a pad for the ground, the roof of a self-made tent, etc)

-and some varying items I´ve put in there at some time and forgot to unpack, which could come handy, I dunno what they are really

So, for a start, I`d be off good.

Don`t have a fixed place to go to if anything should happen, but even if you have - you`re not there all the time, are you? It would also be possible, that you wouldn`t be able to reach your shelter, in that case all yóu`re planning would be futile in the end.

Edited by Vorenus

So, if I really think about it...

Some shelter and such would be good - but if you really wanna be prepared, you have to cover yourself from the moment the shit hits it, so an initial survival pack (like my rucksack ;) ) would be the first thing to get your hands on, wouldn`t it?

My comments in Red

1 month with no services for a family of 5? Should be interesting. I'm assuming you can't leave your house as you said and you have the entire house to live in. No power is assumed since powerplants would shut off after a few days with no one to run them and no utilities (to include heat and water). What I would stock/do if I were you -

-A gun (Seriously. You'll get rioting after a few days of no services. A handgun should be fine but looters may be more heavily armed) Regrettably agree

-Ammo for said gun Regrettably agree

-Hand crank flashlights (Electric ones are fine as long as you have batteries for them, but a hand crank or two should still be included) Have a few already

-Water (A few hundred gallons would work. See your monthly usage for the best figure though. Need enough for food, drinking, and showers every other day.) Some say 3 gallons per person per day for drinking/cooking/personal hygiene.

-Canned food + dry food MREs? As it stands, I got as bunch of individual servings of Tuna fish

-Plywood for boarding all windows except one encourage ventilation (back window out of sight) (also good for deterring looters) Looters will note only one unblocked window, plus they'll be looking from backyards. Anyone challenges them in a backyard, it draws hostile fire.

-Padlocks (lock fence and garage) and also block entry doors "Hey, look, a padlock. What are they protecting? Lets break in and look"

-Toilet paper + soap

-Diapers

-Powder milk

-Blankets Go with the so called "space blankets", they're lightweight, and easily stored or carried in a pocket

-Hand-crank radio AM/FM/Weather Service/General Mobile Radio Service combo (Midland "Base Camp") in possession already, as well as 2 GMRS handhelds.

-Flares Please elaborate why?

-Safety box for storing flares and gun Baby around, so definitely.

-If you can, get the car in the backyard. Use the garage as a bathroom and trash area (You can probably get masks for the smell). Save the bathrooms for showers and spread a few trash bags worth over the front lawn to make it seem like you've already been looted. There will be looters who check to see what previous looters left behind. Garage as bathroom? My house, the garage is a separate building, and motion between buildings can draw unwanted attention.

-Stock up on books for everyone (perhaps some coloring ones too for the kids), board games, activities, etc. Counteracting the boredom is going to be important.

-Have a panic room for the family when the threat of looters is present (assume if you see them, they're going to target your house).

-Light only what you need to at night. When looters are near, all lights should be off. Wait at least 30 minutes after you last see looters to turn back on any lights. Suggest no lights at all at night, or prevent them from being visible, as in both World Wars having coastal area residents maintain blackout curtains. In darkness, a single candle can be seen from distance

-Mental patients may also escape. They can be the worst threat.

-If government is wiped out, always get on board with whatever one pops up. You may not like it, but it's important not to make enemies. If this is from a war, might not make a difference. There are countries where they'd kill you for the crime of being from a country they hate, or that you don't practice THEIR religion, and they don't accept converts.

Better install the solar panels now, powering up storage batteries and/or heating water. Motion attracts attention, so in this type instance, I do not recommend home/boat windmill generator sets.

Mental patients the worst threat?

They could be. They may either ignore you or be bent on killing you. Provided they escape in the first place, it's going to depend on their illness and the severity of it. At least with looters you have a chance to appeal to them.

cscboulder's list looks pretty good.

Instead of using the garage as a bathroom I would dig a latrine in the back yard. Out of site would be good.

Extra gasoline in case you have to move.

I thought of the backyard, but I decided against it as a padlock won't really keep determined people out and using it as a latrine exposes yourself and leaves signs of activity.

For the extra gas, using a car to move has to be decided if it's worth the risk. You can move faster, but you're also a much bigger target, and it's a target that can't go on forever. Gas pumps depend on electricity, and in the scenario, there's none.

We have a farm home about 60 miles from our house that has a storm shelter that was built in the late 60s that my parents have fixed up over the past couple of years. Remember the old bomb shelters/tornado shelters. That's what it is. Its small but it will fit the bill for immediate safety if we can see it coming.

If the grid went down right now, how well could you survive for 3 days without electricity, fast food, running water and easy access to money?

Moving out of city should actually be plan A.

If the grid was out right now for three days? Would be tough, but I could survive.

Some other things I forgot -

The prison populace and drug users will have to be contended with. Hardcore drug users are going to be far more brave (or is it stupid?) at going into houses.

If you are broken into and a fight ensues, you should be ready to leave in minutes. It's going to get much worse if you stay. Add backpacks to my list, with water, clothes, food (MREs are good here), ammo (keep the gun on your person. Seconds can make the difference), flares, and handcrank flashlights. It'll be dangerous, but far better than remaining at the house.

Also, if you have a private pilot's license or know how to fly, getting to the airport (assuming there's no immediate danger), loading a prop plane, and flying away to a remote area will be much safer than remaining in the area.

Last thing - don't answer the door for anyone during this period. They can be coerced by other people.

Richard -

Flares for friendlies and can also make a last resort gun. Government could be restored and S&R parties sent, so flares can also signal them.

For the garage, I was assuming an attached garage. Backyard might be your best bet then.

Edited by cscboulder11

Prisoners would more likely starve in their cells if someone hasn`t set them free, anyways, I wouldn`t be more concerned about them then about any other guy in a hardcore everyone-against-everyone situation.

Drug-users would more likely be weakened by withdrawal symptoms.

Mental patients? I dunno, most aren`t the axe-grinding maniacs TV tells us. I wouldn`t really worry about the off-chance of meeting demented old granny out of the geronto-psychiatric ward.

This would be more about basic survival things, best things to get into a more deserted area. In a situation where everyone is freaking out and looting, your former (now shotgun-firing-trying-to-survive) tax accountant could be more dangerous than those listed above.

Some of the most mentally debilitated people I've known are not in institutions. They are in fact living among us. Severe mental illness in addition to substance abuse is not uncommon among the homeless; however, the homeless are frequently the targets and victims of violence. Off topic and I'm sorry about that.

What exactly does the literature say about these people and how dangerous they are?

http://psychcentral....es/violence.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1525086/

I'm not saying they will be dangerous, just that they can be. In any case, I still think people should be avoided in said scenario.

(I do know several people with some form of mental issues themselves. They have no problem in society. What I'm more focused on are the ones who have already committed crimes, not mental health issue community in general.)

Edited by cscboulder11

http://psychcentral....es/violence.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1525086/

I'm not saying they will be dangerous, just that they can be. In any case, I still think people should be avoided in said scenario.

(I do know several people with some form of mental issues themselves. They have no problem in society. What I'm more focused on are the ones who have already committed crimes, not mental health issue community in general.)

Hm... both links above seem to contradict your former statement, though (just skipped through them quickly).

Bags of beans last for years and are full of protien. Draw back is will have to use some of your water to cook them.

Make sure you have at least 1 month supply of each family members meds.

Find items easy to carry that can be used for multiple purposes.

Water filter. They sell water filter straws that take little room in your pack. Also get some purification tablets.

Multiple ways to create fire. lighters, strickers etc.

Even if you plan to stay in place drive arround and look for places easy to get to from your area but not along the beaten path so you can have ideals where to head out to escape the zombies.

Baby wipes so you can clean yourself.

Water, lots of water.