Preppers - the show

Just Plain Ruff

Ok, I've been watching this new show called Doomsday Preppers on National Geographic.

It's gotten me to thinking and although I think most of those people are bat shit crazy and most are going way the hell overboard, many of them do have good points, except the pandemic moonbat crazy lady.

So what do I need to have in my preparedness kit.

I already know what I need in my medical kit, but what should I have ready to keep a family of 5 prepared for let's say 1 month of no city/state/federal services.

This family of 5 would consist of this (current as of this post)

1 44 year old male

1 38 year old woman

1 9 year old boy

1 2 1/2 year old girl

1 4 month old girl

Looking to build this up over the next 2-4 months.

I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars, I'm looking to be practical and sensible and be able to provide for the family when the grocery stores and other outlets are physically impossible to get to.

Tin foil hats to keep the the zombie government from reading your brain!

Will come back with the rest of my list when I have more time.

• Like 1

we have 500 feet of tin foil for just this occasion. WE also have silver bullets for the vampires as well.

This is a serious list. Please do not make this into a stupid fest.

1 month with no services for a family of 5? Should be interesting. I'm assuming you can't leave your house as you said and you have the entire house to live in. No power is assumed since powerplants would shut off after a few days with no one to run them and no utilities (to include heat and water). What I would stock/do if I were you -

-A gun (Seriously. You'll get rioting after a few days of no services. A handgun should be fine but looters may be more heavily armed)

-Ammo for said gun

-Hand crank flashlights (Electric ones are fine as long as you have batteries for them, but a hand crank or two should still be included)

-Water (A few hundred gallons would work. See your monthly usage for the best figure though. Need enough for food, drinking, and showers every other day.)

-Canned food + dry food

-Plywood for boarding all windows except one encourage ventilation (back window out of sight) (also good for deterring looters)

-Padlocks (lock fence and garage) and also block entry doors

-Toilet paper + soap

-Diapers

-Powder milk

-Blankets

-Handcrank radio

-Flares

-Safety box for storing flares and gun

-If you can, get the car in the backyard. Use the garage as a bathroom and trash area (You can probably get masks for the smell). Save the bathrooms for showers and spread a few trash bags worth over the front lawn to make it seem like you've already been looted.

-Stock up on books for everyone (perhaps some coloring ones too for the kids), board games, activities, etc. Counteracting the boredom is going to be important.

-Have a panic room for the family when the threat of looters is present (assume if you see them, they're going to target your house).

-Light only what you need to at night. When looters are near, all lights should be off. Wait at least 30 minutes after you last see looters to turn back on any lights.

-Mental patients may also escape. They can be the worst threat.

-If government is wiped out, always get on board with whatever one pops up. You may not like it, but it's important not to make enemies.

What's above is for a general thing, such as a super virus that's spread. If we're talking end of days, you need to live in Fort Knox for that.

Well 1 month was just a number I came up with.

I'm really thinking that maybe it would be more like 3-5 days without services.

I really dont' see no services for more than 3-5 days unless the doomsday preppers were right and if they were then they are snug as bugs in rugs in their bunkers drinking mai tais and watching re-runs of doomsday preppers and sayin "ha!!! we were right!!!!!"

but 3-5 days without services - sort of like Joplin Missouri after the tornado.

nothing coming in my town or goin out.

I want my family to be comfortable.

I'm goin gun shoppin with the wife this weekend. Shotgun, rifle and handgun.

I figure that the real currency in a crisis won't be cash, it'll be seeds and ammo, liquor and gold/silver. run out of ammo in your house and you are unprotected - have enough ammo and you are protected.

run out of cash and at least you can sell stuff out of your house.

cscboulder's list looks pretty good.

Instead of using the garage as a bathroom I would dig a latrine in the back yard. Out of site would be good.

There also are solar fans that run off a direct circuit and don't require batteries. If you want to be fancy you could have a battery based power storage system.

I would include a gas stove top in case water needs to be boiled.

Water sanitation pills.

Basic Med kit and if possible some wide spectrum antibiotics and intestinal antiseptics like Nifuraxida is great. Local anesthesia and suturing materials. Cannulization materials and fluds.

Alcohol. Ophthalmic drops such as Tobradex that have both tobramycin and dexamethazone. Activated charcoal.

Black water bags that can be placed in the sun to heat water.

Cutting tools such as axe, machete, saw, etc.

Definitively more than one gun.

Salt in case you have to resort to killing animals and preserving meats.

Binoculars.

I will probably think of something else later to add to the list.

EDIT: Good thing you can check foil off your list. Oh and make sure your dog is well fed and fat. You never know.

Extra gasoline in case you have to move.

Chainsaw, rope and safety harness,

Edited by DFIB

I`ve heard that you guys have alot of this thinking over the pond (but it`s starting here too).

If you`re living in an area where nature disasters are likely, you should be equipped - for any other case (like the one`s the dooms-day blokes proclaim), there`s really not that much you can do anyways.

I think, any major ABC-disaster would last longer than most have rations, so after 5 months, you`ll be as screwed as unprepared me.

Only real way to get ready for that (unrealistic) case is, getting autarchic in all things.

If you wanna go for it: I recently saw something in TV about supermarkets that only sell disaster-rations (for horrendous rates), you can buy monthly, yearly and decade rations which, at least they tell you so, contain anything you`d need.

EDIT: If I`d prepare for that - I would propably built myself a wooden-blockhouse somewhere deep in the woods and plant some vegetables and stuff, get some guns (we`re not allowed to do that so can`t prepare in that direction, but after all went fucked up, I guess you could propably easily pick one up out of a shop ;) ) and sit it out in the woods/be prepared to stay there. Go native, you know. (I`m meaning this serious, for this is the only sensible option I see).

Oh, and of course I`d plant some tobacco plants and buy a ton of cigarette papers beforehand. Some boxes of booze, too. The woods can get lonely.

Edited by Vorenus

I've been looking on the net and some of the prices seem a bit high for what they are selling when I can put them together my self.

I have a go to place if the shit hits the fan and my neighborhood is compromized with either zombies or vampires ha ha

We have a farm home about 60 miles from our house that has a storm shelter that was built in the late 60s t6hat my parents have fixed up over the past couple of years. Remember the old bomb shelters/tornado shelters. That's what it is. Its small but it will fit the bill for immediate safety if we can see it coming.

If it's a tornado or natural disaster then we're sheltering in place.

My son thinks I'm nuts. My wife's on board.

I just want to keep the fam safe and for them not to starve and in the best possible health.

Not a prepper but a modified prepper.

I honestly think this is a good productive discussion to have. How prepared are you? I'll use the prepper speak here.

If the grid went down right now, how well could you survive for 3 days without electricity, fast food, running water and easy access to money?

Edited by Captain Kickass

We hunkered down through Ike and Rita with no real problems. Making it for about a week is really no big deal so long as no one is injured, sick and we can stay safe.