Preppers - the show

Just Plain Ruff

All I gotta say is... On December 22nd... WTF are they going to do with 10,000lbs of dry milk?

I've been selling stuff on eBay marketed toward a Zombie Apocolypse, and stating right in there. When they're broke b/c they thought money would be useless and stocked up for the end of the world, yanno the world that didn't end the day before, I'm going on a shopping spree.

I have watched both "Doomsday Preppers" and "Doomsday Bunkers". Some of the "preps" are good ideas. What most people should be considering is becoming a "Disaster Prepper". A couple of years ago, my Sister and her husband lost electricity for about a week in mid-winter. Their gas heater wouldn't run because there wasn't electricity for the forced air fan and the safety systems shut down the heater. Their stove was electric too. I made it through the '94 Northridge E-quake while on duty. We were without electricity for about 12+ hours. Several neighborhoods were without water service for some time.

As a "Disaster Prepper" one should look at it as probably equivalent to a week-long camping trip. Supplies like food and TP can be built up over time by buying extra cases/packages during "sales" of the same food, etc. that you normally consume. It is also a good hedge against price inflation. Coordination with neighbors and friends of a like mind are key to a successful outcome. Defense against lawlessness could come into play if the disaster is long-term or widespread as in Katrina. If you do choose to be responsible for yourself and yours by obtaining a firearm, then please get proper training for yourself and any others in your group that may have to use one.

All that being said, the most important tool to survival is the obvious one; your own mind is key. People have had every resource required to survive an event and have just 'given up' and died/killed themselves. I knew parents during the Cold War that said if Nuclear War came, they would take their children and go to Ground Zero to end it all. I was horrified by such thinking. God gave us life, we do not have the right to discard it without giving it a good try. As bad as things could get in a so-called TEOTWAWKI situation, if you are breathing and moving you should 'keep on trucking'. Remember that the worst case scenerio that most of us can conceive is no worse than a lot of the people in the World experience every day of their lives as their 'normal'.

• Like 1

Well I just purchased the first item on my list.

A 6000 watt peak, 5000 watt sustained generator that will power a good part of my home in case of a natural disaster. It will connect directly into my circuit breaker courtesy of my licensed electrician father in law. I will be able to run my furnace, airconditioner, freezer, fridge, 2nd freezer, stove, television, dvd player, computer and a couple of outlets in the kitchen/living room area of the house. The basement (son's room) and other bedrooms(daughters rooms) will be without power.

That's the first thing I have purchased. Figured to get the highest priced item off the list first off.

Gonna set it up Friday and have my father in law over Saturday to hook it up.

Next is a dinner with my gun nut friend and the purchase of a shotgun, a 22 rifle and a pistol(not buying the pistol now -too much money). But will purchase about 1500 rounds of ammo to go with each gun.

Next step, water collection equipment.

i'm still workin on the list for the city

For the generator - Check your local Aldi food store they may have them for sale there. WE paid 349.00 for ours.

Edited by Captain Kickass

For the generator - Check your local Aldi food store they may have them for sale there. WE paid 349.00 for ours.

Totally Off Topic: You guys have ALDI, too? Thought you could only find them in Germany until now.

Yeah, Aldi has great deals, good food and the food tastes good too.

Hm... they must have upgraded Aldi before exporting it to the states. ;)

Around here, it`s more or less a pretty mediocre supermarket chain. They have all the normal stuff, mostly the cheaper brands, but that`s okay, I mean, in the end it`s only a different label with the same stuff inside after all. But they don`t have as big of an assortment as other supermarkets have.

But I don`t like their fruits and vegetables, they are pretty low quality and don`t taste that good.

Oh don't get me wrong, we don't buy the fruits and veggies.

we stick with the box stuff like baking goods and milk and meat products.

We also buy bulk items there and generators too.

Not much else there we buy. The boxed items such as the baking items and bottled juices are just as good as the generics that we buy at wal mart are just as good.