(Ridiculous question) Bathroom habits

CPhT

But this is where you guys have it easier than the ladies. You have the ability to use a urinal in the back of the ambulance where we can not.

I am not buying that for a second. Of course ladies can urinate in the back if the ambulance. you just have more clothes to go through.

• Like 1

I am not buying that for a second. Of course ladies can urinate in the back if the ambulance. you just have more clothes to go through.

Deducting 20 points on you for that one. :bonk:

I should have added, more discretely. But, I'm not test driving the ability to use that urinal. I'd sooner have my partner pull over to a "facility" and go that route.

Deducting 20 points on you for that one. :bonk:

I should have added, more discretely. But, I'm not test driving the ability to use that urinal. I'd sooner have my partner pull over to a "facility" and go that route.

I would never underestimate the females ability persevere and overcome. :)

Side bar and to which I don't agree - I have heard of medics using the facilities of the patient's home...

Toni

Only once in my career has this happened (to one of my partners), we had extra personnel on scene to help load and he had to go badly (early morning call).  He was done and ready to drive when we had the patient loaded and ready to go.

Only once in my career has this happened (to one of my partners), we had extra personnel on scene to help load and he had to go badly (early morning call). He was done and ready to drive when we had the patient loaded and ready to go.

And the story I heard was of a medic who had a BM on scene. :confused:

Just a random thought -- have you considered getting a fasting glucose done? Could be new-onset DM.

Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me. I have no family history of DM, but I'm not exactly the smallest thing walking the earth. I suppose I should consider that as a possibility too.

Just a random thought -- have you considered getting a fasting glucose done? Could be new-onset DM.

This was my first thought also. I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes in April '10. I had no idea until I went to my PCP for a annual physical which included labs. 2 Days later I received a call from my Physician informing me my A1C was 8.2 and that I was diabetic. I do remember her asking me during my exam if I was urinating more frequently. Edited by JakeEMTP

Side bar and to which I don't agree - I have heard of medics using the facilities of the patient's home...

Toni

I have done this before, however it;s been in one of two scenarios that I can recall

1. having driven for around an hour and a half through rush hour traffic from base one morning to pick someone up to go to a tertiary referral hospital 3-4 hours away - i did go for a pee before leaving their home with the aim to try and do the journey with one stop ( for the UK people the person lived i nthe wilds of West Yorks - nearly Bronte country and the appointment was in Oxford - we took a break at Castle Donington services )

2. when doing discharges on support shifts - again usually in the back of beyond because knowing it's go now or not really be able to go until after you've completed the next job.

a lot of it is going to depend on the nature of the workload and your travelling times - if you are in an urban suburban service where jobs are 45 min -1 hour end to end you aren't going to necessarily be in the scenario of asking to use the toilet at a patient's home ,

Yeah, peeing every couple of hours doesn't sound excessive to me either..

Though I'm not very superstitious, when working the street I did pee constantly when possible. It seems that there is nothing more likely than a full bladder to guarantee that you will be first on scene of a 5 car pile up.

Peeing in patients homes..I don't really see why it's such a huge issue assuming that it doesn't happen regularly. Though some seem to think that it would be more dignified to pee your pants than to do so. Especially when you work rural, sometimes it's that or peeing behind the house. I don't think that it's terribly professional, but we don't always have control over when and where we'll need to go.

My biggest issue with peeing in someone's home is that I'd really rather not be alone in the room where they're most likely to have controlled substances that might mysteriously come up 'missing' when someone discovers that I've done so.

If you're posting in the ambulance it can be tougher. But I made a habit of heading to the bathroom the moment I heard the tones begin. By the time dispatch was done announcing the address and nature of call I could be running to the rig, zipping as I went... :-)

It is curious that he felt the need to mention it though. If you're reporting your frequency accurately, it seems that there is something else going on there that has nothing to do with urination...

Dwayne