(Ridiculous question) Bathroom habits

CPhT

My apologies, but I really am curious about this. I've just started taking on shifts at my new company, and I'm running into something that I hope doesn't become an issue.

I pee a lot. Not volume, but frequency. It seems like I'm going (on average) about once every two hours, more if I drink or eat. My partners that I've been paired up with haven't made a big deal out of it, but my FTO mentioned it, kind of as a side-note. I've taken up new habits to try and cut back, such as limiting my caffeine intake (diuretic), reducing the amount of liquids I drink before my shift starts, not having alcohol for 24 hours before any shifts... things of that nature that I can easily control.

So with that being said, is having the iron bladder just something that will come with time? How do you road dogs manage your potty breaks?

Seriously... stop laughing and post.

Every time you need to pee, think about sex.

I'm married... my memory isn't that good.

No one is laughing as we have all had this same concern. There are two rules I was taught in EMS. Rule #1 is to pee whenever you have a chance. I swear people think I have a constant UTI or the bladder the size of a BB, but it's the best. Rule #2 is to eat when you can but if you can't manage rule #2, always revert to rule #1.

There is something to be said for adrenaline and the adrenergic response - the urge dies down. But, it will eventually come back.

But this is where you guys have it easier than the ladies. You have the ability to use a urinal in the back of the ambulance where we can not.

Beyond that, you might mention it to your primary physician. There is a drug called Phenazopyridine which will help with increased urination among other things.

Side bar and to which I don't agree - I have heard of medics using the facilities of the patient's home...

Toni

I'm married... my memory isn't that good.

ya ya ya My husband went to the dr and a question was "are you sexually active" Not missing a beat hubby said "nope I'm Married"

As to the original subject just so you know I didn't laugh to long I also am a frequent flyer but I have limited my fluid intake and if there is a bathroom available I use it. Those are the only things that I can suggest. You may want to see a dr to see if there are other things available to ya....................

I've pretty much taken to the idea that if we're doing an IFT or a dialysis patient, I just use the bathroom before making patient contact, or after we've returned them to whichever SNF we're taking them to. I explained it to my FTO that "I'm going to take every opportunity to go that I can, because the last thing I need is to be sitting standby on a FD extrication for an hour and doing the pee-pee dance the whole time".

I'm not sure if I'm ready to go the medication route. As for right now, I'm able to manage it with a bit of planning. If it ever becomes too much of an issue though, I'll keep that in mind.

Limiting fluids... unless you're peeing excessively large volumes every 2 hours, I'd say the need to stay hydrated is a big one, so I'd focus more on hitting the bathroom when/where you can and limiting caffeine...

Everyone's body is different. Peeing every 2 hours is not excessive in the slightest in my opinion. That's weird that your FTO even brought it up to you. Having an "iron bladder" is a great way to end up with "oh my god this burns and is the worst pain ever" bladder. Lots of water/good fluids and frequent trips will keep you from landing yourself in lava-urethra land. If you're limiting fluid to the point where your urine is getting dark, instead of light yellow-to-clear, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Just my humble opinion (as I go to choke down more Cipro because I overdid the caffeine and forgot to get up to go to the bathroom after fun time with the husband the other night... oh, hello UTI fairy! So not nice to see you again....)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Edited to fix an accidental triple post... weirdness...

Edited by Eydawn
  • Like 1