Heterosexual pride day! Good idea or bad?

Just Plain Ruff

Only if, as has happened, the fire house is actually burning. I heard of a 5 alarmer fire house fire some 30 years ago.

Sorry about that it was me, STN 4 west end Edmonton, I left a pot on the stove got called out and well oops good thing was no gay men were hurt in the making of the movie.

Sorry about that it was me, STN 4 west end Edmonton, I left a pot on the stove got called out and well oops good thing was no gay men were hurt in the making of the movie.

Actually, I think I was referring to an FDNY firehouse, back in the late 1970s, but if you had one also...

Dwayne, I promise you that it was on the application but that was a long time ago. And to the others, yes I lied to get hired, it was the highest paying department in the State at the time. I doubt it is still on their application, and no I do not work there anymore.

But it does not matter, any company could put it on their application as gays have no protection under the constitution or labor laws, we are only protected if the employer chooses to have policies against discrimination due to sexual preference.

I do not act flaming although I guess I do have a gay accent which might lead you to believe I might be effemenant.

I do not act flaming although I guess I do have a gay accent which might lead you to believe I might be effemenant.

Gay accent? Back in the 1970s, the stereotype was a lisp, and specific style mustache.

As for the accent, or lack of same, the character of "Satchel", from the "Bowery Boys" movie series of the late 1940s and early 1950s, in retrospect, might have been Gay. In all the fight sequences, he was alwaqys hiding under a table, or locking himself in the car. The others always seemed to protect him, even though he also presented as some kind of man-child, even in one where he somehow developed an iron fist in the boxing ring, which in the end sequence, moved to his butt, knocking out an opponant who hit his head on it. (did I say end and butt in the same sentence?)

Also, Satchel never chased the girls like the others, although he didn't try to stop any of the ladies advances on him.

...But it does not matter, any company could put it on their application as gays have no protection under the constitution or labor laws, we are only protected if the employer chooses to have policies against discrimination due to sexual preference.

Serious question...do I have specific protections under the constitution as a heterosexual man? Is there somewhere in the labor laws that protect me specifically because of my sexual orientation?

I once not long after Dylan was born I was out of work and scrambling so applied to be a bartender at a gay bar. They asked if I was gay, I told them I wasn't...Do you think I got the job?

So much of what you want to be protected from is simply the learning curve involved in normal human social interaction. Should my son be legally protected because people look at him funny when makes funny sounds in a restaurant, or refuses to make eye contact when speaking? Of course not, because it would make no difference. People aren't discriminating against him, they are acting strangely in the face of something that they are not familiar with. In no way am I pretending this is the sum total of discrimination, but instead referencing your comments to sitting on the same side of the booth or talking to your mate on the phone.

Much of our country has a deep seated fear, and many, dislike of homosexuality based on our long Christian history. You can't legislate that away, can't cry it away, can't wish it away. People need to learn that their inherited misunderstandings are incorrect. No different that blacks, Chinese, Japanese, Jews, Irish, Muslims, and women in this country. Choosing to be as brash and offensive as possible won't do anything but make that process last much, much longer than necessary.

People can not be expected to react 'normally' to things that they haven't experienced before. When I took my NR practicals I walked into the KED station and the preceptor was about 6' tall, long hair well styled in a feminine fashion, fashionable makeup on a very masculine face, bulging muscles and hairy arms. My mind went completely blank. I had nothing. I said, "I'm checking PMS..." and did so...Trying to move on said, "Errr...I'm checking PMS.." S/he had this funny smile on his/her face and said, "You going to be ok?" I said, "Sorry man, just one sec...I seem to be processing." S/he laughed, all was fine and I did my thing. (S/he as I'm not sure to what sex they identified and didn't ask.)

We bumped into each other later having a smoke and I said, "I'm sorry about that. No offense was intended...I just didn't have a place in my brain for you yet." S/he had no issues at all with it and in fact seemed comfortable with my initial confusion. You've got to stop blaming people for being people Flaming. I'm sorry that your path in life is harder than some, but it's way fucking easier than many because of those that have come before you. Being uncomfortable sometimes is a reality for you and your mate as it is for me and my son...we're never going to legislate away human nature. It just takes time.

...I do not act flaming although I guess I do have a gay accent which might lead you to believe I might be effemenant...

Then that should be mitigated when dealing with patients. I've got medic friends that speak much of the time as if they're living in some ghetto drug war movie, yet there is no sign of it when they treat patients. I am often blunt and verbally aggressive, but non of my patients would recognize that tone. If people are picking up on your 'gay accent' when you're treating patients it's because you choose to allow them to do so. You're trying to be 'you' instead of treating patients...and that's not good medicine.

Thanks for your response...

Dwayne

Seriously always wondered about that "gay accent" thing - I mean, I get the concept, that you`re born that way, to like men over women and all - but you aren`t born with that accent, aren`t you?

Guess that`s some kind of social-related thing, though I don`t really get the point.

Maybe it`s a way of modern society gay people to stand on the point, that they can be openly gay nowadays. Because I can`t imagine, that it was common in elder times.

EDIT: Just to clarify. The above comment is not intended to be insulting in any way.

Edited by Vorenus

Yes, your accent is formed by who you associate with. In the south US you have the southern drawal, in Boston you got the BAAAAAAAsTon accent, in New York you got the "Yo" accent (and the new york alphabet: fu**in A, fu**in B, fu**in C), the midwest has its mennisoooooota accent. So, I have a gay accent because of who I associate with.

Yes, your accent is formed by who you associate with. In the south US you have the southern drawal, in Boston you got the BAAAAAAAsTon accent, in New York you got the "Yo" accent (and the new york alphabet: fu**in A, fu**in B, fu**in C), the midwest has its mennisoooooota accent. So, I have a gay accent because of who I associate with.

Yes, I get that. I`d be interested though, when that accent started to build up/the background - when that certain manner of speach was associated with homosexuality.