Heterosexual pride day! Good idea or bad?

Just Plain Ruff

Nice exploration of different moral and social concepts in this thread! I don't know as I have a whole lot to add.

Gay accent: I call bullshit. Perhaps the gay individuals I know speak much more ebulliently... but then again so do some of the caffeine fiends... and there's no tonal or dialectical difference.

Gay body language (aka, what trips the "gaydar")- absolutely. Now, to qualify this, let me first say that I have gay, bi, asexual, and transgendered (with varying sexual attraction identities) friends. I have known so many different people who are bisexual or homosexual sexual orientation that I must have learned different body language cues... because I can call it 80-90% of the time with someone I've never met before. It's just something I am unconsciously aware of, like realizing someone has brown hair or blue eyes or whatnot.

I would say it's probably not so much an accent as it is a projection of self that registers through body language that is alerting some of Flaming's patients/patient parents to his orientation status (am I close? Or is it really an accent thing, man?)

Obviously, he is very self aware and conscious of being gay, and how it is perceived... so I would guess that may in turn cause him to "project" more than someone who relates to their orientation status differently. I see it a lot in environments where homosexuality is not readily accepted; either people bury very, very deeply so as to avoid notice, or they feel they must be true to themselves and their body language reflects that, causing others to more easily recognize them.

Just my thoughts.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I have never personally heard a gay accent.

i have however heard a lisp.... a very exaggerated one too.

Anecdotally though, the lisp seems to disapear at times of formality, and is nearly never present until one is "out of the closet".

Just my observation though.

Serious question...do I have specific protections under the constitution as a heterosexual man? Is there somewhere in the labor laws that protect me specifically because of my sexual orientation?

Sure, the same protection everyone else has against being discriminated against due to sexual orientation. It's "sexual orientation" not "everyone not heterosexual."

Also, wait a minute. Did the last few paragraphs really just deal with thinking that people have the ability to simply turn off an accent?

Challenge to everyone. Speak perfect English. No American accent. No regional accent. No regional slang. Hell, given the fact that accents are all about shifting specific sounds around and using slang, I doubt anyone -can't- speak without an accent. In fact, I'll bet that most people don't even realize that they are speaking with an accent when they speak.

Also, wait a minute. Did the last few paragraphs really just deal with thinking that people have the ability to simply turn off an accent?

Challenge to everyone. Speak perfect English. No American accent. No regional accent. No regional slang. Hell, given the fact that accents are all about shifting specific sounds around and using slang, I doubt anyone -can't- speak without an accent. In fact, I'll bet that most people don't even realize that they are speaking with an accent when they speak.

I realize everyone has an accent. I specificaly stated I have never heard a "Gay accent". Only a lisp, and yes... I am challenging that some can turn thier lisp off at will.

I wanted to discuss something I read early on. AS to appropriate behaviour at Gay Pride events. I went to the Gay parade in the Keys a couple of years ago, not because I knew it was that weekend but because I wanted to visit the end of Highway 1.

I was able to get a hotel room but only because I am a Hilton Diamond member so I am able to bump people from their reservations due to my level of status at the hotel chain.

So as I watched this parade, I saw a lot of scantily clothed women and men as well as every other thing you can imagine.

I saw men with no clothes on with body paint, others being led around by leashes and all that you can imagine goes on in those parades.

Why if it isn't acceptable for us to dress like that on the other 364 days of the year is it acceptable to dress like that on this one day. And I assure you that inappropriate dressing in and around the keys is not just a gay pride parade day phenom. but I didn't see many straight (read NONE) people dressing like these people did on the day of the parade nor on any other day.

Why is it appropriate for someone to go out in public dressed like they wer ein the parade yet it isn't acceptable any other time? I mean if those people are trying to get acceptance for their lifestyle, why do they shoot themselves in the collective foot or Ass and hurt their cause by going out in public dressed like they do in the parades.

My best gay friend says that he is all for equal rights for "gays and lezbos"(his words not mine) but he is totally against the gay pride parade.

I asked him if he felt that those types of parades do anything to advance the gay rights agenda and he said no, these people are just disgusting and DO NOT REPRESENT ME. I put the caps in there to emphasize his reaction when we talked about this the other day. He said those who march in those parades have set back the gay rights crusade to the very beginning.

Well first of all the gay thing is pretty year round in the keys and Palm Beach, just at a lesser level. Last time I was in Palm Beach I had to move to a different beach spot, as two gay men were making out pretty hot and heavy on the beach in broad daylight, wearing just speedos. The answer is much like what is going on with the Occupy movement, Police often choose not to enforce the law. To most of them, gays make them feel "icky", and they would rather not have to deal with them (especially half naked and in masses), just like they are not enforcing the laws in many cities to remove protesters from public parks. Imagine having to deal with 100 half naked men like flamingemt all day long after you lock them up ?

Same could be said for homeless people, they are vagrants and there is a law against that, but if you arrest them, you have to deal with them (and smell them). In EMS it is like when you put a ccollar on a patient, once you do it, you pretty much have to do a full immobilization, so sometimes we choose not to do that.

Yeah, I just got home from the tavern... Had to wait till closing, since obviously, I couldn't (wouldn't is more like it) drive myself home. Yeah, totally didn't hit on any of the other openly gay people, even brushed off one that was hitting on me pretty hard. But I did buy the woman next to me like twenty jello-shots.

So, on behalf of my mother, who is expecting grandchildren -and despite me telling her to adopt... I'd like to thank asshol I mean flaming, for curing me of my disease - being gay.

Or I might be laying on the sarcasm pretty heavy. Never know. ttfn

I say disease... Because mental illness, IMO, is a disease... And you seem to be mentally ill. Therefore, I attribute your level of gaydom to being like bipolar or schizophrenic, rather than actually gay. A troll, troublemaker, lunatic.