Why I'm pro gay marriage

Eydawn

https://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/marriage-equality/love-story/watch-the-video

This video sums it up for me. People are people, and marriage is about way more than sex. People who get freaked out by the idea of homosexual orientation make me laugh... how many "normal" hetero couples do things that would freak many of us out in their bedroom, yet their rights are taken for granted?

Love this video. Go Australia.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm really not familiar with the anti gay marriage arguments...

Is there some no religious reason to be opposed to gay marriage? I can't see any reason, but then again I'm not terribly political, have no idea what it might effect besides the sensibilities of those that can't mind their own business....

I'd be interested in the non hate, counter arguments if anyone is familiar with them...

The only secular argument that I've seen used with any amount of consistency is that allowing gay marriage will open the door for legal expression of deviant behaviour such as polygamy and so on. Please don't lecture me on how this line of logic fails as I've not stated I agree with it, just that it exists.

I am quite the libertarian when it comes to what two consenting adults want to do with their free time. I'm also not opposed to gay marriage. I can even empathise somewhat as I've been on the receiving end of a bit of hate regarding my choice of lifestyle. Apparently, it's only acceptable for old fart guys to marry young woman, but a cougar-cub relationship is taboo in some circles.

My biggest issue is related to the fact that marriage offers certain legal protections if you will. Being married can make things such as health care decisions, health benefits and even banking much easier between two people. This was a big issue when I was working overseas. Much easier being married because my wife had access to all my personal finances and information. She could easily make decisions and so on. I would hate to see somebody in a homosexual relationship not have access to the same benefits.

• Like 1

The only secular argument that I've seen used with any amount of consistency is that allowing gay marriage will open the door for legal expression of deviant behaviour such as polygamy and so on.
You forgot the three standard arguments: "We (= I personally) never did this before!", "We (= I personally) don't need it!" and "We (= I personally) never needed it before!". Silently supported by "We (= I personally) don't understand it.".

cougar-cub relationship
Thank you for learning another english slang term they never taught us in school!

My biggest issue is related to the fact that marriage offers certain legal protections if you will.
Yes, but there is a whole other issue on marriage in terms of religious views, which may be the main source for arguments from this corner. Thus ignoring the fact, that a marriage always was a kind of social security system, even before religion or such concepts as "love" stepped in.

2 gays marrying can't be any worse than the bastardization of marriage known as Kim Kardashian.

I am quite the libertarian when it comes to what two consenting adults want to do with their free time. I'm also not opposed to gay marriage. I can even empathise somewhat as I've been on the receiving end of a bit of hate regarding my choice of lifestyle. Apparently, it's only acceptable for old fart guys to marry young woman, but a cougar-cub relationship is taboo in some circles.

Pfft. The biggest amount of stupidity is the teacher student circles. Male teacher, female student? Burn him alive for taking advantage of the poor young flower. Female teacher, male student? Give the student an award!

• Like 1

The gay marriage issue is nearly completely a religious issue. The religious will say it's against God's word in the bible. Well in the bible marriage has always been said to be between an man and a woman. But that's not what I'm arguing.

The biggest issue I think is that traditionally up until 20 years or so ago (my timeline may be off a bit) we didn't have men/men and women/women living openly together. Sure it happened before then but it became more socially acceptable to do so in many places than it was prior to that period of time.

So the married people got up in arms thinking that the gays were going to take over their commonly held belief that marriage was between a man and woman. They felt that gay marraige would destroy the "pristine" institution of marraige. Being that most marriages are performed in a church and churches (most) will not marry gays then that is why gay marriage is having such a hard time gaining traction up until the last 5 years.

I for one DO NOT GIVE A RATS ASS who gets married to who(with limits of course). If two men or two women want to get married so be it, I can tell you that it does nothing to detract or cheapens my marriage. Do two men getting married in New York affect my rights as a husband and my wifes rights in our marriage? NO. So people need to just settle the hell down.

I do welcome gay marriage for at least this reason. There were certain hospitals out there that would not let the gay partner of a patient into the room with the patient. They said family only. Now those hospitals have to get out of the dark ages and allow these partners/husbands/wives into the room. That's just one reason.

I have much more to say on this issue but I'm trying to get ready for work which I really don't want to go in right now.

• Like 1

Here is a link. It shows that Nigeria has passed a law banning same sex marriages even with a threat from Britain that if they did Britain would withhold aid. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/30/world/africa/africa-gay-rights/?hpt=wo_c2

Big brother pushing their agenda's on countries accepting their aid is nothing new but I applaud Nigeria for going against Britain. Not that they are anti gay marriage because my views are clear above, but that they won't cow down to pressure from another country to force them to shape their laws in their own country.

I wonder whether if the tables were turned and Nigeria was giving the aid and they said "you don't get the money if you pass a law saying Gay marriage is legal in your country" What would Britain do?

A simple comment after reading the thread ...

If both parties are consenting adults, why the heck not? You can't please everyone when it comes to ANY marriage, but is it really about pleasing others? Nope.

Yes, but there is a whole other issue on marriage in terms of religious views, which may be the main source for arguments from this corner. Thus ignoring the fact, that a marriage always was a kind of social security system, even before religion or such concepts as "love" stepped in.

Until very recently (last 100-125 years or so), a marriage was a financial transaction: One man purchasing the property of another man.