Fire Chief's new ride

ERDoc

I only know what I have actually seen, and that was a supposedly street legal Mustang "dragster", siezed by the NYPD for some infraction, and repainted in NYPD colors, with lightbar added, presumably also a siren and the radios. This was sometime in the last 26 years, and the car was assigned to the NYPD Highway 2 Precinct.

Look at the names- "Ms Smugbottom"? Come on- this was a satire piece, folks. Pitchforks and torches, Frankenstein??

Pretty damn funny, if you ask me.

Maybe the guy did indeed purchase this as his own personal vehicle which he responds to fires with. Silly? Sure, but I'd love to have a 1978 Vette.

I've seen many souped up Camaros, Mustangs, Trans Am's, etc as law enforcement cars, generally with lots of notations on them saying it was confiscated during a drug raid. So what?

The state trooper post about 2 miles from me, up until around 2005 (I think) had a supercharged Camaro SS as a highway pursuit car. It was dark blue, had no external police markings, had low profile antennae, and all of the lights were either hidden inside the passenger compartment, or inside existing lights. Pulling up near the car, the only way you could tell it was a police vehicle was by the X on the license plate.

Berkley PD also has a late 70's-early 80s Chevy Malibu 2 door DARE car that runs the 1/4 mile in 9 seconds. They use it mostly for shows and DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education, grade school anti-drug program), but they'll bring it out for patrol during the Woodward Dream Cruise.

That's not to say I wouldn't ever put it past someone to take a completely irrational vehicle and make it a department car, but the wording on the article, and the "build out" of the car are just too suspicious. After all, I do live near Detroit, where the Mayor was scamming Navigators and Escalades from the city funds.

Its probably a real car. I've seen many classic cars made into show pieces and done up in FD or PD schemes. The rest of it is pure crap. No police chief would tolerate anyone doing 80 through town, even if his house was on fire.

...I've seen many souped up Camaros, Mustangs, Trans Am's, etc as law enforcement cars, generally with lots of notations on them saying it was confiscated during a drug raid. So what?

I wouldn't really have an issue with law enforcement using such a car, as it's my belief that they sometimes need to go fast, and having done so can actually have the equipment that they need to make a significant difference on them when they get there.

Not so with the fire services..

Dwayne

The PD back in NY had a Hummer that they had confiscated. It was used for calls on the barrier beaches that normal vehicles couldn't access. It's actually pretty spiffy looking.

normal_suff4.jpg

Anyone recall the TV series, Starsky and Hutch? They used a souped up Tourino, and a vehicle that looked like a piece of junk, but both were equipped with "Kojack" dash beacons, and, of course, sirens. The "junker" was something of a decoy, because it didn't look as if it could pass someone's grandmother using a walker.