Does Your Service Report Medical Errors To THE PATIENT ?

flamingemt2011

So, Flaming, since everything is so black and white to you let me ask you a few questions. Do you ever exceed the speed limit? Do you report yourself to the police when you do? Do you call the police every time you see someone speeding?

As for your EMTALA story (we'll put aside the fact that I call BS on it), sometimes it's just not worth making a big deal out of it. Not every mistake needs to be punished. Sometimes just tactfully pulling someone to the side and pointing out the error is all that is necessary. There doesn't have to be a conspiracy behind everything, unless you are someone who thinks they are always a victim.

Wow, so entrenched in defense mode you can not see the simplicity of the problem. I am discussing life and death here, not minor infractions of the law. I have in no way said or inferred that I am somehow perfect in all I say or do, conversely, I have shared how I am not perfect. As a matter of fact, I break one of my state laws everytime I make love to my man. But regardless of my moral failings or achievemnents, that has nothing to do with what is right or wrong in this scenario. You can shoot the messenger all you want, but it does not change the basic question that is asked here.

As far as the EMTALA story, it is true, and as a matter of fact, he later did use it, when they applied for the CON for the cathlab. The other hospital filed the automatic "appeal" to try to stop it, the CEO reminded them of the favor he performed, and they quickly dropped the appeal, so he was right, or you could say his strategy was smart.

But, I think we can all agree that is not the reason it is not being done, we are keeping the information private to protect ourselves from lawsuit, which is where I see it as a selfish act.

But, are we? No fight here, but how have you determined that...we do it to save our asses?

I know thats the reason our service doesnt report the errors, and if you read all 11 pages of the thread, you will see the predominant theme is "lawsuits, my license, my job", you were the first (I think) to state your line of thinking, out of all these people.

But no, I do not have any statistical proof that it is THE reason.

As far as the EMTALA story, it is true, and as a matter of fact, he later did use it, when they applied for the CON for the cathlab. The other hospital filed the automatic "appeal" to try to stop it, the CEO reminded them of the favor he performed, and they quickly dropped the appeal, so he was right, or you could say his strategy was smart.

One thing I have learned is Flaming has a LOT of "inside" information. Such first hand knowledge of all these under handed deals and who said what and how things came to be....you are THE Top "Secret Squirrel" in my book...

• Like 2

Wow, so entrenched in defense mode you can not see the simplicity of the problem. I am discussing life and death here, not minor infractions of the law. I have in no way said or inferred that I am somehow perfect in all I say or do, conversely, I have shared how I am not perfect. As a matter of fact, I break one of my state laws everytime I make love to my man. But regardless of my moral failings or achievemnents, that has nothing to do with what is right or wrong in this scenario. You can shoot the messenger all you want, but it does not change the basic question that is asked here.

No defense mode here, some of us just live a little more in reality than others. I still call BS on the EMTALA thing without more of a story. Again, you are making it black and white when it is not. If something doesn't harm the pt and will not affect them in the future, is it worth disclosing? "Sorry Mr. Jones, we gave you tylenol instead of motrin." Now, something that will or did affect the outcome should be disclosed, amputating the wrong limb, hit an artery or something during surgery, gave a medicine that the pt was known to be allergic to, etc.

I've got to go, so I have to cut this post short.

I found this story today and it made me wonder what the rest of your services did:

http://web.orange.co...medic_treatment

I always reported medication errors to the receiving nurses, but I know many that did not (especially if there was no harm to patient --- gave atrovent instead of albuterol).

But over the years I would occassionally hear a rumor that so and so was suspended after a review of treatment on a particular call, but I do not think the patient or patient's family was ever told of the mistakes.

What do you think, should all errors be reported to the patient regardless of how insignificant, or should it be swept under the rug like in the above article ?

Again, try reading the thread instead of making up what you think was said. On more than one occasion I have stated this is about life threatening mistakes, not tylenol versus motrin.

Really? Maybe you need to heed that advice that has been offered to you in multiple threads and take some reading comprehension classes. You can't even comprehend your own posts. You seem to suffer from Crotchity Syndrome.

Edit: Like AK said, you talk a big talk but when pressed for details you fail to provide any to support yourself. It's gotten to the point that you have lost any credibility.

Edited by ERDoc

ERDoc - Your showing your age with your avatrs. I know you dont like the music.

Haha. Dfib, I think you are showing your age by knowing who my avatar is. I am not ashamed to admit, I loved his music and still know all of the words.