Patient Advocate

medicgirl05

And where is the patient care in that lilpeepees. what happens if god forbis the ambulance is involved in an accident? the patient is NOT retrained in the rear of the ambulance by just lying on the floor on a mattress. If there is a suitable transport vehicle available, then why not wait for the best of the patient. If the patient is then loaded into the ambulance then it is the attending emt/paramedics responsiblity of care....who is covered and made responsible if something goes wrong and the law suits then follow...I think he made the CORRECT decision for the well being of the patient...isnt that who we SHOULD be caring about,,,, not the companies revenue?

Damn craig, where have you been mate? long time no post!

Edited by BushyFromOz

Somebody asked about the patients response to the situation. Can't find the question to quote it but here is the answer.

In the beginning she just wanted us to make it work. She even offered suggestions. After I made my desicion to not transport and explained my reasoning to her, she said she understood and she thanked me because nobody had ever thought about her well-being before. She said usually the private services just cram her in without any thought.

I know I made the right desicion for the patient. I just know that my supervisor doesn't see it like that. She lost $150 ya know!

MG - you and I have spoken and I know the area in which you work. We have some part-time positions opening up at my service - and those tend (more often than not) to turn to full time. Based on your posts alone, I'd be happy to have you around. :D

Toni

Somebody asked about the patients response to the situation. Can't find the question to quote it but here is the answer.

In the beginning she just wanted us to make it work. She even offered suggestions. After I made my desicion to not transport and explained my reasoning to her, she said she understood and she thanked me because nobody had ever thought about her well-being before. She said usually the private services just cram her in without any thought.

I know I made the right desicion for the patient. I just know that my supervisor doesn't see it like that. She lost $150 ya know!

I asked the question and you answered exactly how I figured it went. thanks :)

The stretcher is secured by 2 2inch bolts through a piece of 3/4 inch plywood in every ambulance made. Your studies are not accurate as there is no one that requires that ambulance services record stretcher failures, nor is there a governing body to report such incidents too. I am not 24, I made up a date when I created my profile, I am 40, and have 22 years of experience. I have personally seen 4 ambulances that have been involved in major crashes, and the stretcher and plexi glass gave way in all 4. Sure if you have a fender bender it will hold, but anything above 40 miles an hour, it will come loose.

It is not that I am unwilling to listen to you, it is just that my life experience is opposite of what you people with no experience in these type of transports are preaching. No we do not do this all of the time, I would say that we probably do it 4-6 times per year. I am in the State of GA, there are no laws/rules regarding the transport of obese patients (all rules are on the state web site, feel free to check).

OP, if you have a stryker or ferno stretcher made in the last 10 years it should be rated for 750lbs. You might want to check your equipment.

And to those who think my motives are profit driven, most of these patients have Medicaid or are uninsured, we typically have to tie up 2-3 ambulances for this one patient, we are on scene and at destination way longer than a normal call, and then the ambulance is out of service until it can go back and get its stretcher. I can assure you that we are losing money on all of these calls.

To those who claim my service is negligent or irresponsible, please tell me how many bariatric units each of your services have. If your service has not invested in this equipment, how are you superior to my service. I am guessing that 90% of you do not have this equipment, but I will wait to see how you respond. So to everyone who has commented in this thread, please respond back and tell us how many bariatric stretchers that your service has ? I am betting only 2-3 of you will have the guts to be honest and reply.

P.S. and for the record, we do not employ any EMTBs. If I failed to answer your question, let me know.

Edited by hatelilpeepees

The stretcher is secured by 2 2inch bolts through a piece of 3/4 inch plywood in every ambulance made. Your studies are not accurate as there is no one that requires that ambulance services record stretcher failures, nor is there a governing body to report such incidents too. I am not 24, I made up a date when I created my profile, I am 40, and have 22 years of experience. I have personally seen 4 ambulances that have been involved in major crashes, and the stretcher and plexi glass gave way in all 4. Sure if you have a fender bender it will hold, but anything above 40 miles an hour, it will come loose.

It is not that I am unwilling to listen to you, it is just that my life experience is opposite of what you people with no experience in these type of transports are preaching. No we do not do this all of the time, I would say that we probably do it 4-6 times per year. I am in the State of GA, there are no laws/rules regarding the transport of obese patients (all rules are on the state web site, feel free to check).

OP, if you have a stryker or ferno stretcher made in the last 10 years it should be rated for 750lbs. You might want to check your equipment.

Thank you for insulting my intelligence. The stretcher on the ambulance was rated for 550lbs but I am unsure what model it is. I know it is not exactly new and it probably isn't on the Stryker website. Just to disprove your statement I looked on the stryker website. I am providing you with links to 2 stretchers that they currently sell that are rated for less than 750lbs. There are more however that don't rate at your 750 mark. Next time you try to insult someone elses intelligence make sure you know what you are talking about.

http://www.ems.stryk...detail.jsp?id=1

http://www.ems.stryk...tail2.jsp?id=10

Also, why would you present yourself as younger than you are? Between that and your name you don't present yourself in a very good light. Just my opinion.

Edited by medicgirl05

No experience with this type of transport?? I do them everyday..with the proper equipment. I've been doing this for 20 years...so please hlpp do not assume that I or the majority of this forum has no real life experience. Or that somehow YOUR experience is better than anyone elses. 4 to 6 bariatric transport where a patient weighs in excess of 600 pounds...yeah your experience far outweighs mine in an area where we do at least one a day.

If you have a stretcher rated for 500 instead of 750, then that was dumb of your ownership, the price difference is negligible. To both of you, neither answered my question, how many bariatric stretchers/vehicles does your service have ? And I am not trying to insult you, as stated earlier, I am only aware of two, maybe three companies in the whole state of GA who have this equipment, if your state is different I would like to know