9/11 Ten Years Later

While my views are a little bit jaded due to recent events with my brother in laws murder in Afghanistan, I do not believe that all afghan people are terrorists any more than I believe that ALL people who live in manufactured housing are trailer trash. Or ALL spanish surnamed people are drug dealers, or ALL Blacks are criminals, or ALL irishmen are drunks, or ALL jews are Bankers ,or ALL Mormons are polygamist who rape little girls in the name of their god.

Do you see a trend here crotch?

There are bad people of all races , religions , skin colors, ethnicity or place of birth.

There have been religious wars fought since the beginning of time.

There are many regular people in every country of the world that only want to survive and live without the threat of annihilation in the name of greed, religion or persecution for their beliefs.

Well, I will reserve my comments about the whole Muslim thing. Way too personal, since I have ex inlaws of my sister who are Muslim- and many in their family are affiliated with a terror group. We are also approaching the one year anniversary of my nephew being KIA by a suicide bomber while serving in the Army in Afghanistan. Based on the comments I have seen here, I can promise you my thoughts would NOT be very popular.

I think tomorrow is a day to reflect and remember. Recall the unity- however brief it was- and hope we can one day regain that feeling. We are so polarized politically these days that we respond more as partisan sheep than we do as thinking, rational beings. We had a unifying cause, and a common enemy. That enemy still exists, but I think we no longer have the stomach for the heavy lifting and vigilance we still must maintain. I am also afraid that if- GOD FORBID- we are attacked here again, I honestly wonder if we would have the same unity we saw 10 years ago. I fear we will remain polarized- those who feel we need to be more forceful or aggressive vs those who feel we need to pull back completely and not overreact.

In the end, like everyone else, I vividly remember exactly where I was and what I was doing that day. I will remember and mourn the murders of nearly 3000 innocent people- especially the first responders who paid the ultimate price. I also desperately hope our leaders find the wisdom to put us on a proper course to keep this nation as safe as humanly possible.

Herbie and dfib = excellent responses

I too am most shocked that we have lost the unity so quickly. I thought the "silver lining" (if you can find one) of 9/11 was that we were unified in a way I had not seen in years.

And yes island, I realize that the stereotype definition of all races is not appropriate to define 100% of the race, but there is a reason it is a stereotype, because it is true.

When I hear there has been a shooting or a stabbing, I think black person.

When I hear serial killer or child molester, I think white guy.

when i hear terrorism, i think muslim.

When I hear someone shot up the work place, I think white guy

Yes, it is wrong to assume that I am 100% right, but funny thing, so far I have been 100% right.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

Herbie and dfib = excellent responses

I too am most shocked that we have lost the unity so quickly. I thought the "silver lining" (if you can find one) of 9/11 was that we were unified in a way I had not seen in years.

And yes island, I realize that the stereotype definition of all races is not appropriate to define 100% of the race, but there is a reason it is a stereotype, because it is true.

When I hear there has been a shooting or a stabbing, I think black person.

When I hear serial killer or child molester, I think white guy.

when i hear terrorism, i think muslim.

When I hear someone shot up the work place, I think white guy

Yes, it is wrong to assume that I am 100% right, but funny thing, so far I have been 100% right.

I could answer to that, but first of all we had this topic before in another discussion, and secondly: http://www.emtcity.c...post__p__264224 -> I don`t want those poor kittens hurt! :mad:

Just one thing: In my opinion, stereotypes only exist, so that people who are too lazy or unable to think for themselves, can at least rely on something.

Edited by Vorenus

threadderailed128508317398125000.jpg

Reading the thread title, it had such promise. As usual, the OP has pulled us down to a discussion on racism.

Since this is supposed to be about 9/11, I want to ask something. Does anyone else feel that 'always remember' and 'never forget' are just becoming cliche and losing their meaning when we talk about 9/11? I'm not saying we should be forgetting about the day, but I just feel like they are being used so much that they are becoming hollow and losing their significance.

I would say the fact that we have not had another huge attack on our soil, or that there have not been numerous smaller ones. That we have not been attacked today. I can't believe how far apart our political parties are. What happened with Anthrax attacks, I thought that would be our new norm with as many as we had right after 9/11 ? And I wonder how much our government spies on us without us knowing ?

I apologize, I just dont see how anyone can be sympathetic towards muslims/islam, especially today. I will refrain from any further comments on this thread

Hm, I can be sympathetic towards muslims today, just as much as I can be sympathetic towards christians/christianity on the 27th of November when Pope Urban II. screamed "Deus Io vult" to start more than a hundred years slaughtering of muslims.

That`s simply due to the fact, that a religious background/orientation isn`t synomymous to a religious related terrorist act, just because it`s the same religion.

• Like 1

I would agree with you vorenus if Muslims were actively speaking out against the bad element of their religion and doing something to stop it. I felt the same way about the Catholic religion because they turned their back on the pedophiles among their priests and paid people off to be quiet. Unlike crotch, I understand that this bad element of every religion or group is a small percentage, but it is the responsibility of the majority to fix the minority. If I had two Paramedics who killed a patient every week, it is my employer's responsibility to fix it or remove it. But if all the other employees in the organization just ignore it and offer an apology to the families, then we are wrong, even though 99% of us do a great job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.