Wearing name plates or not?

You're (general use of "you") only a public servant if you're employed by a public agency. If you're not employed by a public agency then you're not a public servant.

Fair enough. Let me rephrase.

I am a public servant.

Now, for those who work for a private. Do you not, upon approaching your patient, introduce yourself...at least by first name?

Edited by tcripp

Ethically, your patient should be able to identify who is caring for them. It is a requirement to be worn in the hospital and the same should go for prehospital care.

Honestly? No. I don't always introduce myself with a name. It doesn't matter who I work for. There were situations while working for a municipal service, private service or hospital based service that I just didn't do it for a variety of reasons.

Do I most of the time? Yes.

ETA: Not that it matters. As I mentioned previously, my full name is on my name tag. There's no hiding it.

Edited by paramedicmike

Ethically, your patient should be able to identify who is caring for them. It is a requirement to be worn in the hospital and the same should go for prehospital care.

Which is why I have absolutely no issue first name, or just surname. If the agency can't follow up on issues with one name, a patient name, a time, date and address of call then there's a serious tracking issue. If the complaintaint isn't willing to provide the above, then I can't say they should be taken all that seriously. Just as the patient has rights, the provider has some right to know where a complaint originates from.

Now, for those who work for a private. Do you not, upon approaching your patient, introduce yourself...at least by first name?

First Name is in large bold letters. Full name and job title is much smaller. I introduce myself as "Hi, I'm usalsfyre a paramedic......"

I am sorry I have to disagree with this one. I look at it from the patient's view, when you are a patient in the hospital now, you can not tell who is a housekeeper versus surgeon, as everyone is in scrubs, and doctors and nurses may or may not wear lab coats. In EMS/Fire, most people dress in BDUs and a t-shirt. I think you should have to be identified in someway, if you are scared, be like a striper or bill collector and have your employer make up fake work names that you will go by.

I know many of you are not from New York. Here are the Hospital Patient Bill of Rights and Ambulance Bill of Rights of NYS:

http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/patients/patient_rights/docs/english.pdf

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/ambulancebill.pdf

Patients have a Right to know who you are. Whether you wear a badge, nameplate, or photo ID; you must identify yourself when asked. So nameplates are fine. I do like the embroidery but if the company is paying for the shirt, its not cost effective...

I have my guys wear their picture ID...

Added a point. Content unchanged...

Edited by NYCEMS9115

No. Stalkers. EMS Fetish People. They're not only annoying, they can be dangerous, especially the ones that are clingy b/c of a mental health issue. The only thing is, in such a rural area, it's rare that the patient doesn't already know my full name, and exactly where I live. All the medics cover their last name on their badge w/ stickers. I always introduce myself when I ask for their name. Never had a patient complain about my care or bedside manner. B/c I don't carry an ego in my pocket. In fact, I often get the reply "I know", after I tell the patient my name. Even if I know their name, I always ask.. B/c if they can't tell me, that's prolly a problem.

Edited by 2c4

You're (general use of "you") only a public servant if you're employed by a public agency. If you're not employed by a public agency then you're not a public servant.

I'm going to have to disagree with this definition. I don't think that 'public service' is defined by your employer, but rather by your client base.

We stand at the ready to come to the aid of the general public. We cannot refuse to help people because they're not a card carrying member, nor can we refuse to help someone based on their ability to pay; nor can we refuse service because they don't have the 'right kind of insurance'...

Unlike a doctor's office, we cannot selectively pick and choose our patients like say a doctors office (private practice), nor can we refuse to treat them because they don't listen to us and follow our medical advice.

Even private fire departments (like Rural Metro) who serves a 'members only' client base (they sell 'subscriptions' to raise money and have been known to stand and watch while a 'non-members' house burns) are known as 'public servants'.

As far as name tags/plates are concerned, it is my opinion that they're part of the professional apparel/uniform. I prefer those that show either 'last name only' or first initial and last name. Have you noticed that Doctors have their names embroidered on their lab coats (you didn't actually think it was there because its a 'vanity thing' did you?)?

If you happen to encounter a 'badge bunny', 'EMS groupie' etc that is engaging in stalking/threatening behaviors or putting you and/or your family in a precarious position, that's when you call a different 'public servant'....the police, and let them deal with it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.