Wearing name plates or not?

Our fire turnout gear has our last name on the back of helmet and printed on our jacket and pants, no idea why. I guess it's so we don't get our gear flogged at the fire scene or they know who we are if we go down…

It is for identification during a scene. Makes it easier for crew chiefs and captains from different companies to call out someone by name instead of hey you in which everyone would turn around. It is funny though when you have several memebers of the same family on a scene.

Considering I only offered my personal view on the definition, and not trying to establish a formal definition, who are you to tell me that my view on things is wrong?

By the formal definition, only those healthcare providers that are employed by a municipality, a fire department or law enforcement department can be considered 'public servants' while those employed by private carriers are not.

Secondly, you're comparing apples to pine cones. In view of the tiny little fact that the 'services' provided by your examples aren't even LEGAL....

Furthermore, employees of the local power company, gas company, phone company and cable provider are normally considered by the general public as 'public servants' because they serve the general public. Methinks you're being confrontational just for the sake of being confrontational...

*Edited for content and structure*

Wow. This version is much more antagonistic than the original version you posted... that I read... that you changed. What got your panties all in a twist? And who's being confrontational just for the sake of it? Seeing as you went out of your way to change not only what you initially wrote but that you took almost 30 full minutes to do so seems to point to you.

Public servants are governmental employees. You're mistaking those who serve the public in a private manner, or as the front of a private business, as public servants. If you want to continue to believe this that's fine. Just because an employee works for an organization that provides services available to the public doesn't make that person a public servant. It's not semantics. There is a difference. But if you want to continue to believe the contrary, well, you're an adult capable of making your own decisions.

Prostitution is legal in some places. Ok... Nevada. But that doesn't negate the argument. Phone company and cable company employees are not public servants. In many places the people you deal with from these organizations are contractors. Are you arguing contractors are public servants? As far as gas company and electric company, they're mostly not. Some places do have a municipal aspect to these services. Those may be an exception. But mostly not.

And you've offered your personal view on a lot of things before. We both know what little that's worth.

This will not be edited.

Besides, if you want to start creating your own definitions for words and phrases you're going to have to get used to people either telling you you're wrong or just not understanding what you're talking about.

Sometimes that's just how it works. Have a nice day.

Ruh roh. I knew what woke me up earlier had to be a cat fight of some sort...

Is this really worth snarling over, fellows? ;-)

Just sayin'.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

To wear something that identifies your Name, Position, & Employer is fine. If you do not wear identifying markers, it is fine too. However, patients have a right to know who is treating them. All States have Bill of Rights for Patients during their Hospital visit but not every State has one for EMS and Out Patient Services; that needs to be change. Patients have Rights. We can turn blue in the face about Yea or Nay to IDs for EMS but anyone who argues about a Patient's Right to know the name of the Healthcare Provider is showing unprofessionalism.

To wear something that identifies your Name, Position, & Employer is fine. If you do not wear identifying markers, it is fine too. However, patients have a right to know who is treating them. All States have Bill of Rights for Patients during their Hospital visit but not every State has one for EMS and Out Patient Services; that needs to be change. Patients have Rights. We can turn blue in the face about Yea or Nay to IDs for EMS but anyone who argues about a Patient's Right to know the name of the Healthcare Provider is showing unprofessionalism.

I take serious offense to being called unprofessional.

Patient's have a right to know who's treating them, this is true. First name should suffice. Is someone going to refuse to be treated by me based on what my last name is?

Edited by usalsfyre

Patient's have a right to know who's treating them, this is true. First name should suffice. Is someone going to refuse to be treated by me based on what my last name is?

I've seen patients refuse treatment by a crew member for less than that...

As healthcare professionals in the hospital we are expected to identify ourselves to our patients. Ethically it is part of a provider-patient relationship. Why should EMS be any different, especially if they want to be viewed as healthcare professionals? Patients and families threaten hospital staff all of the time, why would it be any different in the field?

As healthcare professionals in the hospital we are expected to identify ourselves to our patients. Ethically it is part of a provider-patient relationship. Why should EMS be any different, especially if they want to be viewed as healthcare professionals? Patients and families threaten hospital staff all of the time, why would it be any different in the field?

There's many EDs (and more and more floors from what I hear) that don't place the staff's last name on their badges either. If they know my first name, how am I not identifying myself? Again, any organization worth its salt should be able to quickly identify the involved party in a complaint.

It's not any different in hospital. I have no issue with last names being left off of badges there either.

Edited by usalsfyre

http://www.health.state.ny.us/professionals/patients/patient_rights/docs/english.pdf

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/ambulancebill.pdf

In NYS, it is a Patient's Right... Wearing an ID is a Policy of an Employer and for the Employer to enforce. If the patient ask for your name, as a Healthcare Provider in NYS, you must divulge your name. Not doing so is a violation of their Patient Rights... Of course, this is in NYS. I am unsure of other jurisdiction, so I will not comment about other Providers outside NYS, refusing to provide their name or wear their ID badge. How one defines what name they should provide is an individual's preference; family or given name is appropriate... In closing, if you (in NYS) violate a Patient's Right, you are unprofessional. I am not naming you. I am using "you" as a whole... I do not expect everyone to agree with me. This is my opinion but I have provided facts to uphold my argument...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.